ZemZem

Hmm, I'd really like to have everyone join his tourney with a ruleset we can all agree with.

Neal, what are the VGC rules? I'm not really familiar with them.

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't we just go with single or double battle rules, no hacked pokemon and no banned pokemon, and no dragging out the battle to stand still rules, as well as other basic rules? Since I'm usually casual, I don't feel like making multiple teams and/or learning advanced/non-basic play rule sets.

Hmm, I'd really like to have everyone join his tourney with a ruleset we can all agree with.

Neal, what are the VGC rules? I'm not really familiar with them.

VGC rules change every year. VGC 2014's rules are as follow:

• Doubles
  • Four out of six per battle
  • Kalos-born & Kalos-dex only. (This reduces all dem Heatran, Cresselia, Thundurus, Terrakion, etc. etc. that run amok.)
  • Species Clause
  • Item Clause
  • No sleep clause (But Amoonguss and Venusaur are the only sleep spammers, really. Breloom isn't VGC '14 compatible. Maybe next year, though. VGC '15.)
  • Pokemon are scaled down to level 50
  • Hidden abilities are permitted
  • Any officially released items are permitted

VGC usually has single eliminations rounds at the bottom, bracket-style, and swiss at top-cut? I'm not too sure about this part, as I've never been able to play at an official tournament. Although that may change, because I'll be like a 40 minute drive away from Worlds this year.

Disclaimer: SMOGON BANS DO NOT APPLY. For reference, Articuno, Zapdos, and Moltres are the only legal legendary Pokemon in VGC '14. Mega Gengar, Mega Lucario, and Mega Kangaskhan are allowed. (Although they're not as good in doubles as they are in singles.)

I may have missed a few things, but that's the gist of it.

Kalos-dex only eh?

No Gastrodon'd make thing interesting...

Either way, that ruleset sounds about right.

Although about the bracket Vs Swiss thing, every tourney for every thing ever I've participated in was Swiss at the beginning and then was Brackets for the top 4/8/16/whatever.

Huh. We can do that, then. I prefer Singles, but Doubles could be fun. Let's give that a shot, and it'd be easy for everyone.

Alright, I'm definitely in, then!

One question, though. If this really is VGC-format will out Battle Boxes be locked for the tournament? Someone might want to overview the matches so that they know what Pokemon are being used and whether they stay the same match-to-match.

And a few pointers to new people. Intimidate, Fake Out, and Protect are all very common things you'll see in VGC formats. Or Double battles in general. Mawile, Gyarados, Scrafty, and Salamence are examples of VGC '14-legal 'mons that well. Each have their own roles, too. For example, Mawile hard-walls non-PuP-boosted Mega Mom. Scarf Salamence gets rid of all the Garchomp and occasional Hydreigon and even has Intimidate to boot. Scrafty has Inimidate and Fake Out support. And Gyarados can spread Paralysis around or shut down other support 'mons with Taunt.

Mega Mom is still common, but Mega Gengar and Mega Lucario aren't really used much. More than, say, Mega Pinsir, but not as common as Mega Mawile, Mega Kangaskhan, and Mega Charizard Y, I believe.

You can go to 3ds.pokemon-gl.com/battle/ to see the most used Pokemon in Doubles, which is vaguely similar to VGC '14.

The Special ladder was VGC for a few seasons, but not at the moment, unfortunately, so I haven't had too many chances to battle VGC styles.

Well, except for Showdown. But I don't use Showdown all that often.

Kalos-dex only eh?

No Gastrodon'd make thing interesting...

Either way, that ruleset sounds about right.

Although about the bracket Vs Swiss thing, every tourney for every thing ever I've participated in was Swiss at the beginning and then was Brackets for the top 4/8/16/whatever.

Yeah, the format is still sorta centralizing, but I like how certain Pokemon aren't allowed... but dislike how tutors are gone. qq

I don't know too much about actual tournaments, but that sounds right, actually.

Edited by Fruity Insanity

I still don't understand what 90% of these terms mean but okay I'll try.

Don't worry, I can help. :D

Mega Mawile, Mega Kangaskhan, and Mega Charizard Y are the most common Mega Pokemon, I believe.

Also, Rotom-Heat, Rotom-Wash, Garchomp, Salamence, Gardevoir, Talonflame, Aegislash, Amoongus, Ferrothorn, Scraft- Ah, screw this.

You can find the most commonly used VGC '14 'mons here. Click on the Pokemon name for more info (most used items, lead usage, etc.)

EDIT: Actually, those stats seem a bit dated? I dunno. It should give you a general idea about what's used, though.

VGC is good for me, anyway, because then I don't need to prepare any new teams.

Edited by Fruity Insanity

I still don't understand what 90% of these terms mean but okay I'll try.

Basically:

-Kalos-born and Kalos-dex: basically means you're only allowed to use mons that are catchable in XY outside of Friend Safaris (you can still get a mon from an FS for its hidden ability, if you want).

-Species Clause and Item Clause: Basically what I've been talking about, one copy of a mon and one copy of an item per team, respectively.

-Sleep Clause: you can't put another Pokemon on your opponents side to Sleep if one of their mons is already sleeping. The clause isn't used in Doubles because its not as big an issue as in singles.

Ugh I might drop, simply because most of my ready Pokemon are transferred. And I don't have current time to train them.

I don't really have a team built for battles, but I could give it a try. I need to delete some HMs and replace with proper attacks.

Edit: Wait, Kalos-only? Nevermind. I'm out.

Edit 2: I misunderstood. I may still be interested.

Edited by Raven

To be clear, VGC '14 is Kalos Pokedex. And the Kalos dex is, like, the biggest regional Pokedex.

There are a lot of choices, but perhaps we could expand...

Also, Vincent, I might have a shiny Pokemon that I could donate as a prize, if you want. I'll have to check exactly what it is, though.

List of participants:

-ZM

-Kalas

-Zak

-Comet

-Alg

-Zephyr

-Shadow

-Sasori

-VincentASM

-Fruit

-Raven

Wow, we have a good number of people!

And a prize would be cool.

Edited by ZM©

Hmm, I kind of feel like organising a fun prize.

Who wants to fight for a Shiny Luvdisc holding a Heart Scale? j/k

forget the Luvdisc, I want that HeartScale!

I can prolly draw something for the winner.