Hello my fellows.

As I recently finished my german translation of Fire Emblem 12 when it comes to ingame-text, I still wonder how I can successfully edit the graphics of the game.

I think it must be very similar to FE11 but I could not find a guide about it either. So I am stuck at this point of development and have to ask for help.

In the last 5 months I tried several tools to get results but everything failed. So if anyone is capable of helping me, I would be very grateful.

This is almost the last part to finish my translation and it would be really sad if the text-graphics would be still the same.

Everyone who is interested in the project can of course download the current beta from my website.

I hope there is someone who can show me how to achieve this.

Hello my fellows.

As I recently finished my german translation of Fire Emblem 12 when it comes to ingame-text, I still wonder how I can successfully edit the graphics of the game.

I think it must be very similar to FE11 but I could not find a guide about it either. So I am stuck at this point of development and have to ask for help.

In the last 5 months I tried several tools to get results but everything failed. So if anyone is capable of helping me, I would be very grateful.

This is almost the last part to finish my translation and it would be really sad if the text-graphics would be still the same.

Everyone who is interested in the project can of course download the current beta from my website.

I hope there is someone who can show me how to achieve this.

When it is finished, be sure to share it on GBAtemp and romhacking dot net, too. Hope you find help with these graphics!

Congratulations at your progress!

I noticed this topic too late (it's near midnight for me), but I'll try and discuss with our graphical hacking mistress to see if she can remember anything.

As it's been maybe 2 years since we worked on the English translation, I honestly can't remember much of the technical stuff or where I put al my notes.

The main thing I do remember is that Tile Molester is awesome.

What graphics do you plan to edit? Do you want to add a new class, new hair colors, new levels, ETC?

*facepalm*

You're the guy who used the HoS English translation as a base? The graphics are mostly compressed by LZ77-10 and LZ77-11 (can't remember the proper names), FE11 uses RLE on some graphics, programs like Puyo Tools and others on the HoS site or FES might be of help.

As far as knowing which graphics are changed, you can check the difference in files between the Japanese version of FE12 and English one to check that out. You'll also need to potentially edit the title screen which is some complicated texture I can't remember. Other graphics are generally split into 3 files... there's hardly any if any doc on this because NTG and I just... didn't bother, TMK (I could be wrong, I'll leave it to Vincent to ask if NTG has any proper notes).

The 3 files would be graphics, "TSA" or a tilemap, and palette. Tile Molester is sort of old-fashioned but can be useful for this. GBAGE is useful for editing TSA as it has a built-in TSA editor but you're going to want to keep various things in mind (e.g. you may need to decompress graphics first, you're going to have a lot of files to work with, there may be limitations on the RAM in some cases and you may want to consider what kind of tilemap is being used--we may have edited some of them quite a bit from the base or we might've only worked with the tiles, it's a pain but it's kind of up to you to decipher what we did--we didn't intend for anyone to use the translation as a base so it's not really user-friendly or open source, whatever struggles we went through are kind of up to you to go through, albeit to a slightly lesser extent if you're basing it off the HoS ROM, which I have assumed to be the case).

I'm tired so all I can offer is this rambling, sorry haha. I don't have time to help out or anything (I wish I could but I've got too many projects going on) so if you ever get stuck try asking on a hacking forum like GBATemp or something.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there! I hope I'm not late. I'm the one who did nearly all the graphical editing for the English FE12 Translation and I'd love to help you in any way I can! The ideas are fairly simple, and once you know them it's just a matter of hacking away at it and getting programs to do what you want. I don't know when you'll read this, so I guess my first step is to revise what I did back in the English project... I remember most of the processes though, because a lot of it was repetitive :P:. Then I'll write up some documents. In fact if you want someone to do the actual editing then I would volunteer to help! Or if you just want guidance then I'm very much free this summer to offer you help.

May I ask if any German graphics have been made which just need to be inserted into the game? Or has none been made at all?

I think it'd be a real shame to see this German project go unfinished. Good job on all the work so far!