Toa's Sprites

Toa

Baldo requested Raven's body to be used though I may be getting lazy as of late. I was trying to get away from the medium length anime spiky hair and do something a bit shorter, but I couldn't find a lot for what I was imagining. Would it make morse sense if I moved or deleted the cross strap or is it the hair itself? I personally like the rightmost one. The first one is just Dart's face, originally he had Sain's eyes, but his left eye was really derpy looking so I just kept the face boring. The other two are Rath mixed with Dieck, though I did some redrawing of his right cheek (left OPV) to make it look better.

Edited by Toa

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

triple post, woo

7D9cyc8.png

Pretty generic nomad guy.

7ZAjt9f.png

Decided to try some more customing but with a more standard pose this time. How am I doing so far?

Edited by Toa

This guy was way over the color limit so I had to fix that Ignore my terribad mouth frames

AYrT9YD.png

Digging the design on this guy but the hair and pauldron shading in particular seem a little chunky/unaliased. It might be the palette or it might be the shading, not really sure which. Mind if I try smoothing it out?

Digging the design on this guy but the hair and pauldron shading in particular seem a little chunky/unaliased. It might be the palette or it might be the shading, not really sure which. Mind if I try smoothing it out?

I don't mind, go ahead. I'm trying to get better at hair so it'll be nice to have a reference for what to do.

bhDnS.png

Like that, maybe? I think the main thing was in the palette: combined your blue and grey, as you only used some blues in the eyes. That freed enough colors for the hair so you didn't need to resort to skintone.

The shiny part of the eye is usually in the opposite direction of the main light source (I think) so I switched that around. You could use the last skintone in the trim to give it more depth, too.

bhDnS.png

Like that, maybe? I think the main thing was in the palette: combined your blue and grey, as you only used some blues in the eyes. That freed enough colors for the hair so you didn't need to resort to skintone.

The shiny part of the eye is usually in the opposite direction of the main light source (I think) so I switched that around. You could use the last skintone in the trim to give it more depth, too.

That looks way better :O

So should I be using 4 colors for lighter hair? I was trying to get away with 3 but it looks way nicer with 4. I think I definitely need to get more creative with my palettes, I like blond hair but then you have the problem of not being able to do blond eyes...

I think you're right about the eye shines, the far eye looks a lot better now too.

Thanks for the reference points!

That looks way better :O

So should I be using 4 colors for lighter hair? I was trying to get away with 3 but it looks way nicer with 4. I think I definitely need to get more creative with my palettes, I like blond hair but then you have the problem of not being able to do blond eyes...

I think you're right about the eye shines, the far eye looks a lot better now too.

Thanks for the reference points!

4 shades isn't necessary, just a preference (quick 3 shades on the right).

bhDnS.pngbhRH1.png

If you have any color that shifts or gets very close to white with the mug, you can probably use it no problem for the eyes. Clothing colors works fairly often also (or can always work, given you put another color in for it). And there's always the morph's golden eyes.

Glad it was useful! ^^

4 shades isn't necessary, just a preference (quick 3 shades on the right).

bhDnS.pngbhRH1.png

If you have any color that shifts or gets very close to white with the mug, you can probably use it no problem for the eyes. Clothing colors works fairly often also (or can always work, given you put another color in for it). And there's always the morph's golden eyes.

Glad it was useful! ^^

Though the shading itself, I think the white intermixed with the blonde looks really out of place and contrasts far too greatly with the other shades of blonde (though obviously color limits are the issue here). I think condensing the palette to get a light yellow for the lightest part of the hair would be better.

i work with 4 shades for blonde cuz it's easier imo and has a better result

uuuuh i dun rly no if i have a ref for dis, i guess u can ref my patty for shading? or nyna...

Blonde really is a weird colour so djbobd

patty-fe4.png

nyna.png

idk if they can be of any halp :(

Edit: also Lenh in that ref u posted, i would use less "white" and more second and third tone cuz it looks kinda wrong idk....

Edited by D'Artagnih

whoops my love for ultra-bright isn't loved

Just use the 3-tone option and change hair colors to your liking or dependent on the rest of the cast, imo. Someone else pointed out the piece lacks midtones: it's either super bright or really dark, and that might be it too. I wouldn't know how to change that without adding extra colors or taking one of the main ones (white/red/blue/yellow) out.

aot8Iig.png

Working off Lenh's changes here... I decided to drop the red cape since blue works fine and I was able to get around the triple booking of white that made things a little bright. I got some new blond colors and made some minor adjustments to the blues in the pauldron and to some of the trim. I also changed the main part of his shirt to the dark outline color, though it's a bit bland now so maybe I should use the grey skin tone color instead? Thoughts? The bit in the corner is a comparison of the new and old hair shades.

• 2 weeks later...

New stufff....

bm32Qm6.png

Critique welcome, he's below the color limit so I'm open to suggestions that would use more colors.

QGv8xC5.png -> DzBF0Aa.png

Nobody said anything about this guy but I decided to redo the hair because it was icky and I was just spamming pixels in random places. I think the new one looks better, boring body is still boring. Also below the color limit.

Ac7sH1M.png

Here's a body, it used to have a head but then I decided it was terrible and deleted it. Obviously still a WIP, though the right OPV is mostly done and I'd like critique on that and the chest.

Edited by Toa

t82GyuM.png

Here's a bishop for Baldo. Wasn't really sure what to do for a bishop so I took some creative liberties. He's sort of half splice half custom, the hair (except for the bangs), cape, and shoulder trim are all custom. Anything need fixing before I frame it and send it?

Hey this is nice!

A couple thoughts~ Feel like the trim could use some work, it's inconsistently shaded and sorta wonky, especially on the shoulder. I'd reference the heck outta vanilla mugs for that, trim was always super annoying for me to do, too...I'd say don't be afraid to put dark colors next to light ones. And I think the ponytail is reading more as a weird pointy head. You may wanna show the ponytail and exaggerate it some?

2B0kB4j.png

I think I fixed up the shoulder trim, I think it looks a bit smoother now. I messed with the hair a bit and that's what I ended up with, not sure if that's what you were suggesting to do.

Made some small edits here

68vP80d.png

Going past the hackbox is fun :3 Still working on the body(The whole thing, not just the unfinished looking part). The head and hair are pretty much done and I really like how they turned out. The style might be a bit different, but I like it. I'd like some help on the body, I'm not great at them...

H9efEso.png

[spoiler=Super WIP]

LE TIP

mLn9eOq.png

Edited by Toa

• 2 weeks later...

I updated the original post so now all my sprites are available to see in one convenient place! How nice!

My entry for splice 109, probably my most complex splice to date.

bYEz8ST.png

6qahwRA.png

I tried to fix his derpface and slimmed his shoulders a bit

I also tried to make a map

X2eprp9.png