• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@ klok

Do you wanna build a snowman? :D

@ Toa

Looks much better!

As for other tweaks, other than the neck still being a little long as has been said, the hair could perhaps use some more of the 2 hair color shade in it as currently it looks predominantly the lightest color... unless you're going for a kind of albino-ish hair look? Even still some more of the second shade for definition could help.

Kudos on the design once again though... classy.

Edited by TheErrantShepherd

Yeah, it should be dominant, I suppose I should have said just a bit more of the second shade for definition.

Might want to see how moving the border the left side of the face over would look, shaving a pixel off the eye may make the angle of the face seem more naturally 3/4 angle, whereas the eyes seem fairly similar in size ATM.

Edited by TheErrantShepherd

Remember my first custom attempt: GX3irAr.png?

Well I redid him two different ways:

6e9Ui7p.pngBIfmVx2.png

The first one is the result of my tinkering with the last version I had made and it evolved into that. The second I adapted an earlier version to look better and closer to what my original vision of the character was. I'm really pleased with how the first's face turned out, and both of them overall. I also have no idea how to shade this sort of buzzcut hair.

Edited by Toa

A long time ago*, before I had even joined these forums, I was a battle spriter! Anyway I found an old artifact. Obviously it's not finished, and it has a ton of problems (Too many colors, shield shenanigans, the return not being finished, physic breaking capes), but I think it's alright. Maybe I'll finish it for real one day.

MusDYis.gif

*A long time ago= A little over a year ago

...so umm, is he attacking with the shield? The sword? Or both?

Strike doesn't seem to be clear.

Looks kinda cool, but as you yourself have noted some issues... Personally think if you lost the shield and reworked the proportions, could have a hero similar to Ike's Hero class... *shrug*

His shield is mostly pointless, he's just throwing it around for style points lol. If I work on it more the shield will definitely be going, it really didn't turn out how I wanted. And yeah, it was supposed to be similar to Ike in RD. You mentioned proportions? What do you think needs fixing?

The movement makes no sense at all. It's not fluid, and simply doesn't work anatomically or kinetically. You don't just smash an axe into wood, you have to heave back, swing it, and land the blow. The animation is skipping the heaving and swinging part and just popping into position.

• 2 weeks later...

Eyyy! I have some cool stuff today!

n46d7WO.png

I did this guy yesterday and decided to record me making him as well! I like seeing how other people draw, so I thought I might make my own. Speeding things up also makes me look way better at this than I really am! Unfortunately, There were a few problems recording, such as screen capture lagging my computer a bit and the colors in the video getting washed out.

[spoiler=Video]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8w5A7sqCw8&feature=youtu.be

[spoiler=reference]

This was a request from Baldo and he gave me this sketch as a concept. You probably saw it show up a lot in the video :D

N9p8J3T.png

Edited by Toa

Awesome to see a recording - I'm in the same boat as you in enjoying seeing how people go about drawing (it's also a great teaching tool, IMO, with regards to spriting). More spriters should do this.

The overall armor design is nice, and the trim is well executed! I think there's too much variance in the shades you used - The RGB values are close to triple what the normal distance is between shades in FE. His hair suffers a similar problem, and it muddies up the details considerably.

Edited by Siuloir

Agreed about the colors, there's a lot of contrast, kinda too much. And the saturation in the dark colors is really high, and I think they're a bit too dark. The border color is generally the darkest color in the sprite, not the case here

What did you use to record ~? I wanna do this sometime as well

woah woah hang in there bud @_@

Idk, dis is probs the last fave among the sprites you've made... the saturation is killing my eyes @_@ I guess the trim is nice, but the whole sprite looks super stiff, also it may be me but the head feels small...

it's nice that you decided to record yourself tho

I'll be the first to admit that I suck at picking colors, but I had no idea I was that bad Dx

fDvMUgA.png grabbed traditional FE colors so hopefully that's easier on the eyes

What did you use to record ~? I wanna do this sometime as well

If you're like me and have a mac (from my observations this a rare occurrence), snow leopard(I think) and up have screen capture built into quicktime player, just go file -> new screen recording. Unfortunately speeding things up involves imovie making 100-200 mb videos into 6 GIGS WTF! On my windows machine, I've used camstudio a couple times cause I'm cheap and like free stuff. I've only made short videos and it was a while ago so I don't remember how it's overall performance was. The video lp'rs probably know more than I. It would be really cool to see someone else make one!

@Nih: Hopefully I've fixed up the colors now, his pose is a bit boring/stiff, on the sprites I make of my own characters I can bring their personalities in to make their poses a bit more unique, but I don't know requested characters well enough to really do that :/

Certainly a good attempt, but his scale is pretty fuckin' tiny.

8c65ba4596bf724f3c0102d35b55a378.png

Like, if we use Eliwood as a standard mug size, your dude is pmuch like, scaled down a whole size. Obvs, that means more room for actual body detail and not just the topside of some shoulders, but way tiny. His features also feel kind of all crunched up in his face, and general facial shading overall is kind of messy.

c5f1fb073d2b7e4dd0f671d5f337328e.png

eh

Edited by Etain

cs0DShh.png

Alright, I fixed some stuff. His head was pretty small, whoops. Guess I need to ref a bit more next time. I changed up some of the shading in the hair because it was kinda meh and fixed some oddities in the armor. Added a bit of curve to the chest piece as well.