The Greil Mercenaries

Ewan101

Today, I started replaying FE9 because I had just finished FE10 for the first time and wanted to make connections (and a save file to potentially transfer data for my second RD playthrough), and as I was playing through the first couple chapters I realized how interesting life would be for the Greil Mercenaries. I mean, each of the characters has such interesting and unique personalities and character. They each seem like a real person with real emotions and thoughts. You don't really get a real sense of their characters in-game without all the supports (which were unfortunately lacking in FE10); if I remember correctly, you don't learn that Soren is one of the branded unless you go through his support with Ike.

So as all of this was going through my head, I started thinking about how cool it would be to have a game (maybe a spinoff, not a main series game) that features only the Greil Mercenaries. You would walk around the base and different towns (sort of like Gaiden), and pick up jobs and missions similar to how you do in the Pokemon: Mystery Dungeon games, then you can choose to accept and complete jobs, which would take you into traditional Fire Emblem gameplay with maps, enemy units, etc. You might recruit new forces to the team to add variety to the classes you have, find rare items and secret shops, and of course, earn gold and items upon job completion. The support system could work similar to that of Awakening, minus the marriage system. The base system from FE9 and 10 could return and be essentially the same: outfit, shop, manage skills and EXP, info, support...It could also be where you choose to go to jobs you've accepted.

But, of course, the game couldn't be that one-dimmensional. Simply doing missions over and over gets boring after a while (unless you play Call of Duty), so of course, as you're scouting around for jobs and chatting with the locals, things start to happen that point you in a certain direction, and a story starts to unfold with the jobs you take, becoming more dangerous, more personal. However, the entire time, the jobs system remains intact, so you can complete the story on your time, when you feel ready. Or you can keep doing minor jobs for exp and money.

I think this would provide an interesting experience and a unique innovation to Fire Emblem fans. Too bad this can't be done with a hack or FEXP, huh? Hahaha.

My bias for the Greil Mercenaries makes me favour this idea. FE9 provided the standard information on its members but further details that could have been added to FE10 weren't there.

The story/support system in FE10 didn't leave room to go in depth on the side characters. Much to my dismay ( ;__;). Oh well, fanfiction here I come!

In one of Shinon's support lines he mentions how his mother never hugged him. There's something for a Shinon back story in a support! He could also talk about why he hates the laguz so much idk :3

Anyways a game like that would deserve my money.

Edited by Hashuni Mei

• 2 weeks later...

I love Ike and his mercenaries, so I'd be all for this, without a doubt! :D

But where would it fit in the Tellius timeline? It doesn't seem that a whole lot happened in the three year gap between PoR and RD. And the Greil Mercenaries pretty much broke up at the end of RD.

I guess making it an alternate universe story wouldn't hurt though.

I'd throw my money at this game, imagine all the drama and the backstory, WAO!

Like, you'd play as Greil, the events are prior to PoR (no playable Ike). You meet and recruit the other mercs along the way, learn their backstory, know their feelings, thoughts, etc! It'd be pretty awesome.

Titania and Oscar could talk about their life as Crimean Royal Knights (Kieran is mentioned once and casually, much to his dismay).

Oscar and Boyd could have some serious family drama, with the duty of growing up Rolf.

Greil would also have to bring presents to his children! XD

We could discover why Gatrie and Shinon respect Greil so much and see him as a father figure.

And Titania could have a special chapter with Rhys since they seem to have a lot of backstory together!^^*

I guess making it an alternate universe story wouldn't hurt though.

Like, you'd play as Greil, the events are prior to PoR (no playable Ike). You meet and recruit the other mercs along the way, learn their backstory, know their feelings, thoughts, etc! It'd be pretty awesome.

I think I'd prefer an alternate timeline so you can play as Ike. I feel he would be the best as a main protagonist because of him being new to the business. I think it should take place as an alternate timeline where Greil dies via the Black Knight, but it has nothing to do with the war, in fact, maybe a timeline where the war never happened, or that they never got involved in the war or with the princess.

Reminds me a bit of Final Fantasy Tactics Advance. You have your clan (pretty much mercs) and you go do various bounties, earn gold/items, recruit people, and advance the plotline with certain missions. Even the gameplay is somewhat similar, although there is no perma-death and some variations to the tile turn based strategy system.