H3 Mid Tiers no DLC, no Mixed Class Sets and no Lunatic statboosters

I´m looking forward to see how you are going to train Barst, if you are using him at all. Compared to the Class A units that can go Cavalier, I found training him troublesome, as he has low movement and no effective weapons against the dragons. Even the Silver Axe and Hauclere aren´t accessible for a while. The lower hit rates of his axes are actually an issue and his promotion boni won´t change too much, either.

Yeah, he's a tough unit to train, indeed. Hopefully I can manage to train him because I want a competent Berserker later on. Honestly, if he had C Axes when he joined he'd be so much easier to train. Dondon had told me that he thinks Draug shouldve been a Mid Tier, maybe he could've been my Berserker instead ;/. Oh well.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://youtu.be/TtxGkj4DEJA

A chapter full of mages and Dracoknights in a desert. That's always a dangerous combination in Fire Emblem.
I'm glad I still had Bow forge uses left for the pesky 20 Speed Dracoknights in this chapter. We get 2 nice units here: Minerva and Etzel. Etzel is a High Tier, so he unfortunately can't be used in this playthrough. Minerva is a Mid Tier though and what a mid tier she is! She comes with A in Axes and she even brings Hauteclere with her. Hauteclere is the most powerful Axe in the game, with 20 MT 80 Hit and 10 Crit. Minerva can often OHKO mages and frail enemies with it, which is pretty useful to avoid huge damage from their counterattacks. With Hauteclere needing A Axes, only Minerva will be able to use it for quite a while. Minerva also comes with C in Lances, which lets her use Dragonpikes and Ridersbanes at base. Her stats are also not that shabby at all. She has one of the highest absolute base spd base stats in the game (8) and a really respectable 32 HP and 16 Def as Dracoknight.

I managed to feed quite a few kills to my units and everything went super smooth. Wish Cain didn't refuse to proc his 90 spd growth in that second level though...

Chapter 9 is completed in 7 turns with 1 Rescue use

Each time I watch one of your FE12 videos I get 5% better at the game. Awesome work man.

Don't bench Ogma he's a bro :O

Glad it's been useful :)

Yeah, I won't actually haha. I need him because he's like one of the only units that can pull off Horseman with no Mixed Class Sets. Wish he would stop getting bad levels though. That blank level (it had HP but since he has 100% HP growth, well...) and the HP Str Lck level sucked. Hopefully he gets some better levels soon...

nice job bro. chapter 7 and 8 are some of my favorites.

hopefully barst pulls though!

Thanks. I managed to feed Barst a few enemies in Chapter 9. I think I can keep using him :)

Edited by PJSalt

Oh my Naga it's Minerva <3 <3 <3

A Axes, C Lances, good bases. Is she gonna be MVP?

Oh and is Merric going to be used? I imagine Excalibur being good for those Wyverns.

Keep it coming! Watching this is making me realize how bad I am at New Mystery. But in a good way! I'm learning!

The struggle is real. This is a chapter where I wish I had a dozen fliers that could OHKO shaver mages and ORKO the sniper. Sadly, only Dracoknight Minerva was able to OHKO shaver mages with Hauteclere. I could have also used the Drill Grounds on Barst and get him 2 levels so that he could OHKO the other shaver mage, but the reliability of that strat is really not better than what I ended up doing. It really wasn't worth it.

There's a lot of enemies in this chapter that have existent crit: the 2 Thoron Bishops with 17% Crit, the Shaver mages with a ridiculous 27% Crit and Elrean himself with 13% Crit. What I did is the most reliable I could get the clear to be while still keeping it fast. I manage to avoid fighting a Thoron Bishop entirely by using Parthia with Ryan to OHKO one of them. The other Thoron Bishop didn't pose that much of a threat to Libra Shard Minerva, only having 4% Crit on her. The Shaver mages on the other hand...had 14% crit on Minerva and 11% Crit on Marth, those crits happened way too often for my liking while recording. If it wasn't them critting, it was Merric getting 6% criticaled by Elrean.

I used 3 Thief Staves in this chapter. I wanted to get the Bullion L, Unlock and Physic. I wanted the Bullion to sustain my units with Drill Ground training. It helps a ton in this sort of challenge playthrough. I wanted Unlock because It allows me to get the Again Chest in C20 while opening the door at the same time, so it sort of pays for the Thief use. It also might allow me some weird shenanigans in Chapters 15 and 17. And finally, I wanted the Physic because I had a feeling 6 Physic uses isn't quite gonna cut it until the Chapter 13 Secret Shop. Was erring on the side of caution there. Maybe I won't need 16 uses of Physic or maybe I will. Even with all these Thief staff uses, I can still get the other 2 important far away chests in C14 and C16.

Merric rejoined from the Prologue and I think he might be in my team until endgame due to reasons you'll see when I upload Chapter 11 :P

Chapter 10 is completed in 3 turns

You're getting 2 today though :)

In this chapter, Linde and Cain finally get to promotion thanks to the Drill Grounds. Linde was very close to leveling up so I didn't mind giving her a round of Drill Grounds. She needs to promote for Chapter 11 anyway and no other combat unit could get exp from the Legion copies anyway so I figured I would have her use a staff to get her rank up and a tiny amount of exp. As a cleric she doesn't have the rank to use the Barrier staff on someone, otherwise I would've just deployed her as a Cleric and get her a level by having her use Barrier on someone.

Needing a crit on Legion kinda sucks but whatever, it's better than trying to 2 turn and getting mauled by Legions all over the place. Speaking of Boss Legion, you can know which one is the real one by highlighting a Legion and using enemy toggle until one of the Top 3 Legions is highlighted. The first top Legion that is highlighted is the real one. Ideally, you want the real Legion to be on the left or the right, because this makes killing him in one turn possible.

Oh, at the end of last chapter 2 units joined btw. Maris and Dice. They come with some nice weapons. Maris comes with a Lady Sword and a Levin Sword, which is pretty cool. She's not a very cool unit though. Dice comes with a Devil Axe and a Hand Axe. Dice is pretty bad too as a unit though. Their equipment is much appreciated though.

Also, I get Horace, I guess? I doubt he's gonna see much action if at all though...Frey is now oficially benched btw.

Chapter 10x is completed in 1 turn

Goodbye, Rescue Staff. We will never forget you! *sniff*

It'll be back eventually! Though I guess that one is just tha Rescue staff's sibling or something :P.

Oh my Naga it's Minerva <3 <3 <3

A Axes, C Lances, good bases. Is she gonna be MVP?

Oh and is Merric going to be used? I imagine Excalibur being good for those Wyverns.

Keep it coming! Watching this is making me realize how bad I am at New Mystery. But in a good way! I'm learning!

For quite a while she might be MVP yeah. Though Cecille is about to promote into a Falcoknight and that is a ridiculously good class and she might have competition from Cain too. You'll have to check out Chapter 11 to see if Merric is going to be used or not :P.

Edited by PJSalt

hey look it's Horace I bet he's gonna shave turns just by being there

That was a really impressive run of C10, and I never knew about the trick to find the real Legion either, lol. I've really underestimated Cain unfortunately.

http://youtu.be/JamUYzUq0JI

Midgame has begun and that means dragons, dragons, more dragons. They're everywhere! I managed to get all the items in the desert, recruit Jake and get a ton of experience for my units. Merric with Excalibur was pretty great. Sadly, his levels were really not good. He'll still be deployed in the next chapters due to his tome but after his terrible levels I'm having trouble seeing him as a longterm unit. I gave one level with the Drill Grounds to Cecille so that she could get an extra Spd level. You never know when starting Falcoknight with 23-24 spd will be helpful.

I also forged a Dragonpike with +4MT and +10 Hit. The 10 Hit drastically increases the reliability of the ridiculously luck-based last map save and the 4MT allows Cain and Minerva (after the Energy Drop and trading the Gemini) to OHKO Max HP/max Def Wyverns except the boss. I could've forged a bit more MT on it to make Cain able to OHKO the boss, but the hit was just terrible and kinda unreasonable with the other hits I need in that last map save. It also wouldn't have saved turns so it was just better to use Parthia on the boss.

I had Jake buy 3 Wyrmslayers and 3 Dragonpikes from the Secret Shop. I had a feeling I would need more Wyrmslayers than usual. A bunch of my units can pull off Swordmaster class in the next few chapters pretty well. I wanted to make sure I have enough Wyrmslayers in the event that I end up using almost everyone as Swordmaster or something.

You may have noticed that I had Caeda obtain items on her way to recruit Jake. She is a top tier unit, but there's no rule against moving them around the map. In order to obtain a desert item you just have to stand there, so she is allowed to obtain the items.

Speaking of items, I obtain quite a few useful ones here:

2 Energy Drops. 1 of them was already used by Minerva mid-chapter in order to OHKO with the Dragonpike forge. I'm still thinking on which unit should receive the other Energy Drop. There's quite a few candidates for it. Marth may or may not need it. His str has been struggling for quite a while. Cain has been growing str pretty well and currently has no issues but maybe his Str will be an issue in the future? Ogma and Minerva might also want it.

1 Spirit Dust. Linde already used it mid-chapter to augment her Levin Sword damage.

1 Secret Book. It's probably gonna be sold.

1 Speedwing. It might go to Ogma Barst or Minerva. I'm not really sure yet.

1 Goddess Icon. It's probably gonna be sold.

1 Dracoshield. Probably going to Cain or Minerva to augment his/her already really solid Def. If 12 Def instead of 10 Def as a Falcoknight helps in a way with Cecille, then she might receive it instead.

1 Arms Scroll. This Arms Scroll is most likely going to be used on Ogma after he promotes, in combination with the one I got in Chapter 8. This will allow him to use Silver Bows right away after promotion.

1 Seraph Robe. I'm not really sure on who to give this Seraph Robe to, yet. Cecille Minerva Cain Marth and Linde all would appreciate a Seraph Robe, but only one of them will get it...tough choice

Elysian Whip, which allows Cecille to finally promote into a Falcoknight. Her offense will be kinda ridiculous once she promotes.

Chapter 11 is completed in 11 turns

This is where I ban you for not using Elrean :P:

Does Dice benefit at all from mixed class sets? Or is he still terrible?

Yeah he can go Dracoknight, but he's pretty bad at it. His bases are just inadequate for his jointime.

hey look it's Horace I bet he's gonna shave turns just by being there

That was a really impressive run of C10, and I never knew about the trick to find the real Legion either, lol. I've really underestimated Cain unfortunately.

If only FE12 in-game Horace was as good as Horace the user is at FE8 LTC...

Yeah, Cain is pretty good, I must say. :)

Yay Minerva! I need to replay FE12. PKL you're making me want to lol.

Go and replay it then :P...in H4. >:)

Go and replay it then :P...in H4. >:)

I'm not that skilled at FE dude :P

another good update. I hate deserts with a fiery passion. Do you think any future FE's should use dragons as much as 3 and 12 did?

Edited by Jedi

I never can figure out a way to efficiently get all desert items in any FE. You were able to do so while having to deal with 12 Mov flying terrors. Damn, that's awesome.

give Minerva all the things kthx

http://youtu.be/8TbwlvW6axA

I kick things off by giving Cecille her final Tier 1 level in the Drill Grounds. This gave her even more Spd so that she starts Falcoknight with a massive 24 spd stat. This is actually important during the chapter, as it allows her to double Wyverns after 1 spd proc without the Scorpio and also allows her to double the boss after 2 spd procs mid-chapter with the Scorpio shard. Ogma also gets his final Tier 1 level in the Drill Grounds for a bit more Spd and Str. He'll need every point of Spd I can get him so that he can pull off Horseman later on. I also gave him the C11 Speedwing so that he can double Fire Dragons as a Hero.

The Seraph Robe and Dracoshield went to Cain. He was already my bulkiest unit, edging Minerva by a bit, but unlike Minerva, he has a much more promising future as a unit due to his way better growths. Minerva received the other Energy Drop too. This helps her get those OHKOs with the Dragonpike forge and will help her OHKO Dark Mages with Hauteclere in the coming chapters.

I needed to rig a Killer Lance crit early on, thankfully, there's a map save nearby that allows me to do so easily. My units cant really survive too much enemy retalitation, so I had to retreat with the main group while using my fliers to distract a few others until they could get healed. I also had to block the forts before Turn 4 or the chapter would've gotten even uglier. Thankfully, all my 3 fliers can get to the forts by Turn 4 to block the fort enemies from spawning, as well as distract a few enemies to them so the others are safe. After that, Cain kills a Wyvern with the Dragonpike forge. This causes the Pisces Shard Fire Dragon to move towards the main group so that I can obtain the shard easier and faster.

By the end of the chapter, Cecille needs to have gotten 2 levels, both containing Spd. She has an amazing 90% Spd growth so it is very easy to get 2 spd mid-chapter, as long as she gets 2 levels worth of exp. The reason she needs so much Spd is so that she can double the boss, who has a rather ridiculous 24 AS. Just around the northern forts, there is a trap line. If you step in any part of the bridge or park a flying unit anywhere in the bridge, 2 Fire Dragons will spawn near the boss, 2 Fire Dragons and 1 Barbarian will spawn in the 3 north-center forts and 6 Wyverns will spawn from the bottom forts. This means pretty much instant death unless I block a considerable amount of the forts, which takes longer. To avoid this, I use Cain to lure the 2 Fire Dragons that are blocking the bridge to the boss. Since he's flying just by the bridge and not actually on the bridge, this doesn't trigger the reinforcements. Minerva helps Cain clean up the Fire Dragons blocking the way and Marth moves into the trap, gets a kill and Feena dances him so he can seize before the reinforcements arrive in the next turn. Note that where Marth and Feena are standing is just outside the range of the reinforcement trap and that Marth ends up just barely being able to seize after Feena dances him. I don't know whether IS designed that part of the map like that intentionally but it's very cool how he can only just barely seize if he and Feena are just out of range of the reinforcement trap.

Btw, I get a new unit here, Darros. He's got really good defensive bases, Str and Axe rank. Barst beats him in Spd already at a lower level though, so I might just stay with Barst. Wish I had more opportunities to feed exp to Barst though :/. Leiden Belf and Robert also join after the chapter. Robert is pretty bad, awful bases and weapon ranks and he's somehow worse than the other 2 but already promoted. Benched. Belf is alright. He's better with Rainbow Potion access though. His 19 spd as a Swordmaster just doesn't cut it to double Ice Dragons next chapter. He can double them with Scorpio but I'm pretty sure I need Scorpio on other units. Leiden has enough Spd as a Swordmaster to double Ice Dragons without Scorpio shard though, so I may consider using him. With this chapter out of the way, the next big obstacle for this playthrough will be Chapter 14.

Chapter 12 is completed in 11 turns.

I'm not that skilled at FE dude :P

another good update. I hate deserts with a fiery passion. Do you think any future FE's should use dragons as much as 3 and 12 did?

I love Dragons but idk, it depends, if they make sense to the story then yes they should come back.

yess midgame time! my favorite part of the game~

good job as always yo! cain is a bro

Yeah midgame is the best part :)

Cain is alright.

If only Abel was nearly as good :/

Poor Abel. Blame Est ;/

I know right ;_;

able is my favorite out of the two

More like unabel in FE12 ;_;

I never can figure out a way to efficiently get all desert items in any FE. You were able to do so while having to deal with 12 Mov flying terrors. Damn, that's awesome.

give Minerva all the things kthx

Haha, yeah everyone seems to hate desert maps. I love em in almost every FE though because i am weird like that like the challenge.

EDIT: Idk why this got moved and whether it should be back or not ;/

Edited by PJSalt

Yeah, that flier fortblock strat is neat and the turn 4 spawn that would usually help the 2nd enemy wave bites their ass so hard. I used to dislike this map because that 2nd wave was so tough.

Edited by Gradivus.

I needed a healer on both sides in this chapter in order to beat it but I also needed Linde as a Swordmaster, so I decided to promote Merric. Excalibur Merric can actually win the Drill Grounds pretty well and even get chains if you get some lucky Peg spawns or a crit in a round. Aside from that, not much planning went into this map. I managed to get Barst a ton of experience and he got some pretty good levels too, so I believe he'll be just fine now. I didn't get anything from the Secret Shop because I don't need Physics anymore with a Fortify coming soon. There's really not much to say about this chapter that the annotations don't cover. The chapter is kinda sloppy because it was a highly experimental run that I made work just because of the Barst levels lol.

Chapter 13 is completed in 8 turns

That Cain is so buff. 22 Def damn.

Yeah he's such a badass right now :)

Hey at least Yumina got Mag this time.. But geez I have way better luck with her then you do haha.

It always happens to the clerics in my video runs it seems ;/

WOW.

That's tied for my least-favorite chapter, and you managed to do it and dodge the reinforcements. You rock!

Thanks :). That chapter was kinda tough because at first I was trying to get through with brute force. After a few tries, it was obvious that I couldn't really handle so many enemies at the same time with this team so I came up with the retreat and fort block strat :).

Dude I actually had a really hard time with high tier units on this map and you beasted on it. Ok, that was amazing. Just... wow.

Thanks :). Yeah, I'd say Chapter 12 is among the most difficult maps of the game. Chapter 20x is probably the most difficult.