Hunter x Hunter anime thread

Kokone Kirino

I'd like this thread to be a place for HxH fans, or even haters, to gather and discuss the show and the individual episodes in a civilized manner. Also, don't mention manga related events please, as, while I myself do read it, some of us might not , and would prefer not to be spoiled on the coming events.

If you really must, write it in a spoiler tag, and write a warning above the spoiler button.

Discussion topics may range from any arc to individual episode, be it episode 1 or 130.

As such, I'd like to start by writing a short opinion on the latest episode, episode 138.

The episode starts with Ging talking about his motives, or rather, giving a vague answer on it. He was shown to be a calculative character so far, going by the plan with which he predicted the actions of the Zodiacs in the last episode. "Everything according to plan" is a rather silly trope, but Ging managed to keep it slightly believable at least.

But anyways, he himself doesn't care about the position of chairman, all he wants is to pay respect to Netero's last will, by making his target move the way he wants to, implying he has someone in sight who he'd want to become chairman.

Afterwards, we go back to the table where the Zodiacs sit at. And Pariston brings up a point I wondered about myself: that at least that short guy, and possibly some other zodiacs too, are idiots, which makes me wonder how got their rank in the first place. A zodiac, i.e. a Hunter among the best of the best, should be both smart and strong, not just the latter.

Pariston however is more of an interesting guy. We know next to nothing about him, only that he behaves like a nice and charming man, but in actuality is quite sneaky and manipulative. Otherwise, the zodiacs wouldn't fear him, nor would Beans wonder about Netero's decision of making him vice chairman. And that is another interesting point, why would Netero have chosen Pariston as his vice? Surely not only to be entertained. Such hints that Pariston might actually be a good leader, or a worthy successor to Netero, despite his sneaky nature. By that I mean a leader who'd actually pay attention to his subordinates.

Moving on, we come to the most important parts of the episode, Killua meeting his own family again. Thanks to his training, he managed to upen up 5 doors of his mansion, whereas before that he could only open up 2 or 3 IIRC.

Then we see him meeting his father, talking about a yet unintroduced sister, Alluka. Silva mentions how she isn't human, angering Killua. Such already should be warning enough, as even the most fearful Nen users aren't refered to as inhumane. Alluka's power is quite an interesting one, even if cliche. Ofc, one may argue that such an almighty power is unnerving and unnecessary, HxH did a good job by countering the benefits of her power with an equally destructive drawback. The requests made by Alluka will be proportional to the last wish made, meaning that if Alluka grants an incredible wish, the person receiving the requests from her afterwards will have literally no chance to survive. Killua refers to it as equivalent exchange, and that term is perfectly fitting for the situation. Although, there is one thing that bothers me with the whole Alluka thing. Ofc, Killua's wish will be to remove the limitations Gon set to himself, to save his live. There are two problems with this:

The first one is that saving Gon like that is a cop-out. Alluka's character was handled well so far, and she has a highly intriguing power, but if combined with Gon she quickly turns into a plot device to make Gon's sacrifice undone again. As such, one may compare it to the Dragon Balls.

Secondly, the wish to save Gon is a ginormous one. In fact, I don't believe the millionaire wish can even remotely compare to it, as the wish to save Gon defies a terribly powerful limitation set to himself, and defies the concept of death itself in a way. Were Alluka to ask requests to someone after saving Gon, not only would these requests be absolutely impossible to fulfill, after denying 4 requests over a 100 people may have to die. Killua is surely aware of that, yet he decides to go through with it. And while it shows his loyalty for Gon, it is still a morally questionable course of action.

All in all, the episode had a lot of interesting moments, and while I am nitpicking at some details, that is only because of my devotion to the series. Due to it being so amazing in most parts, one can't help but notice some small flaws, as they become more apparent if compared to the rest. The imlications for the future might be worrying, but so far HxH never failed at excelling in execution.

Edited by Mayora

[spoiler=From ep 139, not really spoilers but fair warning]ngvqEu0.jpg

Dawwwwwww.

Just watched HxH 139

Not much happens in this episode, however, what we get is interesting information of Alluka's power. And we are shown Killua's risky plan of having another person make the wish to save Gon, only to afterwards attempt to fulfill the requests by himself.

I'd like to make a full review on the episode in the thread I made, but doupleposting isn't allowed...

Those of you who are fans of HxH, and are interesting in discussing the show with other fans on SF, try to write your thoughts on anything in the thread I made, be it the new episode, or anything before that. I'd love to see the site's opinion on HxH, in a thread dedicated to it.

(yeah, sorry for the promoting)

Sorry, but I don't think a lot of people this side of Japan know or watch the show. I wonder if there's even anyone else on this site aside from the two of us who's caught up. It's a shame, too, since it's a really great show.

And then I never have much to say anyway, so I likely won't be posting a lot, but I loved that ending for 139 and wanted to post it somewhere, haha.

[spoiler=From ep 139, not really spoilers but fair warning]ngvqEu0.jpg

Dawwwwwww.

Sorry, but I don't think a lot of people this side of Japan know or watch the show. I wonder if there's even anyone else on this site aside from the two of us who's caught up. It's a shame, too, since it's a really great show.

And then I never have much to say anyway, so I likely won't be posting a lot, but I loved that ending for 139 and wanted to post it somewhere, haha.

HxH is almost as popular as Fairy Tail however, and seeing that so many here are FT fans it surprised me to see that next to no one knows HxH.

Awwww, Alluka really is cute. He/She has the same problem as Pitou however, no one knows whether they are female, or male. There are always hints to both *sigh*

While not awesome by itself, 139 did help in making the events in 138 look better, due to Killua taking responsibility, and showing resolve to save Gon. However, he is making a huge error. If he were to let another person make the wish, and then were to try and fulfill Alluka's requests, he'd surely fail, and not only would he die, but also his family, Gon himself, and practically anyone he even remotely cared about, plus thousands of innocents he's met.

The best course of action for the show would have been to have Killua make the wish himself, and then afterwards either dispose of Alluka, ofc with grieve and regret and all, or to send her into a remote country for a while, until the tragedy happens, and bear the weights of those innocent lives on his shoulder. It would most likely give character development, and allow Gon's revival to be meaningful.

Everyone who has finished CA arc watch this. Best HxH AMV I've seen so far.

I've only made it a little past the Heavens Tower arc in this anime, but I really enjoy it. Phantom Troupe is crazy powerful. XD

Have you finished Yorknew city arc by now? If so, would you mind sharing your thoughts on it? Since it is my second favorite arc in the series

Edited by Mayora

Awwww, Alluka really is cute. He/She has the same problem as Pitou however, no one knows whether they are female, or male. There are always hints to both *sigh*

Alluka is biologically male, but transgender, so Killua, who respects her, refers to her as her identified gender.

I think the chimera ants are genderless except for the king and queen.

While not awesome by itself, 139 did help in making the events in 138 look better, due to Killua taking responsibility, and showing resolve to save Gon. However, he is making a huge error. If he were to let another person make the wish, and then were to try and fulfill Alluka's requests, he'd surely fail, and not only would he die, but also his family, Gon himself, and practically anyone he even remotely cared about, plus thousands of innocents he's met.

Well, that's what he's going to do, and the show won't end, so clearly he's going to be successful...

He knows the risks involved.

The best course of action for the show would have been to have Killua make the wish himself, and then afterwards either dispose of Alluka, ofc with grieve and regret and all, or to send her into a remote country for a while, until the tragedy happens, and bear the weights of those innocent lives on his shoulder. It would most likely give character development, and allow Gon's revival to be meaningful.

That would completely go against Killua's established character. I think it was Hisoka (could have been Illumi) who mentioned in the recent episode how Gon would react if he knew what saving his life had cost. Killua would never let that happen.

Alluka is biologically male, but transgender, so Killua, who respects her, refers to her as her identified gender.

I think the chimera ants are genderless except for the king and queen.

Well, that's what he's going to do, and the show won't end, so clearly he's going to be successful...

He knows the risks involved.

That would completely go against Killua's established character. I think it was Hisoka (could have been Illumi) who mentioned in the recent episode how Gon would react if he knew what saving his life had cost. Killua would never let that happen.

Did Togashi state that? It seems like a reasonable explanation, although it still seems weird. As for Pitou, she has been compared to a mother before, and some characters called her a she IIRC, while others adressed her as a he, which is why I'm not entirely sure about the whole deal.

I don't remember how the manga ended this arc, it seriously has been a while. But anyways, I don't think he'll actually go through with that plan. It is too unreasonable, if he really does know the risks, it seems absurd to try nontheless.

Not necessarily. Killua is an assassin, he can kill people without a single care in the world. Gon is one of the only people he ever "loved", and I do think he'd do anything to save him. He even was prepared to let his mother die to be able to escape with Alluka. Him doing that doesn't sound so unreasonable. And yes, Gon would neer stand the thought of that, but Killua doesn't have to tell him. He could tell him of Alluka's power, but not mention the crucial details regarding the negative aspects of it.

Killua could just deceive Gon, and while he'd probably be consumed by guilt, he'd go so far in order to keep Gon save and happy.