I'm annoyed.

I got a called by a "Windows Technician," who was telling me about some "malicious programs/software" that "destroyed" and was "very bad" for my computer.

I listened for the first two minutes, but then things got suspicious, so I asked for more info. What exactly was this "malicious software"? What does it do, exactly? What is affected? Is data deleted? Is my personal privacy affected?

I asked for more info. What exactly are they trying to do? Surely as the recipient, I have the right to know.

They had extremely vague answers. "Listen sir, there is very bad stuff that was downloaded from unsafe websites that are affecting your computer." Blah blah blah.

Guess what.

They hung up.

Then I searched about these kinds of calls.

Which I should apparently never, ever get from a "Windows Technician."

I learned that phone call phishing was a thing.

*siiiiiiigh*

I'm annoyed.

Wasting 20 minutes trying to scam me.

At least I'm computer-literate enough to question what exactly they were doing.

It didn't help that they were telling me to run Command + R, and started spelling out in "You run 'e' for echo, 'v' for victoria, 'e' for echo," etc. etc. etc.

I was, like, "Could you please just spell it out for me?" But noooooo. They had to keep on going 'w' for WEIRD.

I go to event viewer, and yes, I know that there are errors and warnings that appear on my computer.

But at least I know that I can see what those errors are.

I feel bad for the poor computer-illiterate people who blindly follow their instructions.

I also feel bad because I feel like they called my grandparents' house because they are computer illiterate.

I don't know exactly what they are trying to do, but screw them. They sound suspicious.

Edited by Fruity Insanity

You get them too? They almost got me the first time. But then they keep calling back. I told them that I don't have my computer with me and they still continued on to instruct me to do things on the computer.

Well at least it was an actual human...

Not a pre-recorded voice.

---

But anyways I run under GNU/Linux...

---

Phone telemarketers and scammers.

WELCOME TO THE HUMAN RACE.

Kinda annoying.

The funiest part is that I can filter quite easity, because no one calls at home and speaks English. (I'm francophone)

Edited by Naughx

next time just reverse the prank call with lame jokes

"hi, i'm a windows technician, and blah blah blah"

"is your fridge running"

etc.

hue.

pull a Jerky Boys on those guys! DO EET!

fart into the telephone

my friend would do this occasionally back in the day. My father had a special air horn for these kinds of fuckers too.

(I'm francophone)

lol Say something like "I like to screw hedgehogs" in thy native frenchy tongue

As a humble GNU/Linux user I would answer: Do you need any help removing your Windows OS?

please tell my why windows 8/8.1 made it hard for me to dual-boot linux (ubuntu)? please? it no longer recognizes the usb booter, so i have to do everything myself. i hate the new version of windows so goddamn much. and i usually welcome change! vista was ass, but w8.1 is borderline buggy and unsuable sometimes (no viruses or malware on the system).

i miss ubuntu and my plans of becoming an experienced linux user. but tha gamez...!

there's no such thing as a humble linux user

tbh i was gonna say not true, but looking at how i behave when people ask for what to buy on fb or something, i'd only be lying to myself.

Just be like "goo goo gah gah" and they'll leave you alone.

That's what I do, anyway.

I just start talking in a different language. (usually Swedish cuz i know more Swedish words than i do Norwegian right now) They hang up quickly. If that doesnt work, i just hang up.

I would use Linux if i knew how to properly use Linux.

please tell my why windows 8/8.1 made it hard for me to dual-boot linux (ubuntu)? please? it no longer recognizes the usb booter, so i have to do everything myself. i hate the new version of windows so goddamn much. and i usually welcome change! vista was ass, but w8.1 is borderline buggy and unsuable sometimes (no viruses or malware on the system).

i miss ubuntu and my plans of becoming an experienced linux user. but tha gamez...!

tbh i was gonna say not true, but looking at how i behave when people ask for what to buy on fb or something, i'd only be lying to myself.

Well with most new computer has an option to disable the "Secure Boot" and to enable the Legacy BIOS setting.

Just go into your UEFI settings. (Press Shift on Windows 8 to do a full shutdown while closing your computer)

Edited by Naughx