Are 4 Fire Emblem characters in SSB4 too much?

Are too many FE characters in SSB4 already?  

95 members have voted

1. 1. Are too many FE characters in SSB4 already?

• Yes
    • No
    • It depends, how many characters the other franchises will represent.

We already know that Marth, Ike, Robin and Lucina will be playable in SSB4.

To my mind there's at least one character too much already. Lucina looks more like a copy of Marth.

And there are too many swordusers: Link, Marth, Ike, Lucina, Robin and Toon-Link.

She seems to be more like a filler. I just don't like it, if "clones" will be added only to inflate the character roster.

"Fire Emblem" will represent the same number of characters like the "Mario" and "Zelda" series did in SSBB and even more than the "Kirby" and "Starfox" series.

Is "Fire Emblem" really that important now that this franchise should have 4 character spots in SSB4?

Edited by TalesOf Hysteria

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We already know that Marth, Ike, Robin and Lucina will be playable in SSB4.

To my mind there's at least one character too much already. Lucina looks more like a copy of Marth.

And there are too many swordusers: Link, Marth, Ike, Lucina, Robin and Toon-Link (I guess, he will return).

"Fire Emblem" will represent the same number of characters like the "Mario" and "Zelda" series did in SSBB and even more than the "Kirby" and "Starfox" series.

Is "Fire Emblem" really that important now that this franchise does deserve 4 character spots in SSB4?

It's only irritating that the series was never heard or distributed before SSBM's release. Why it got so popular now...lol nobody knows.

...And I voted no of course. If it's to increase further sales upon future installments that is...

Edited by Bimbo

I'd say that its moreso that Awakening has become important, rather than the whole series. If you've noticed, the series that have the most characters are the ones that apparently were the most successsful. Those being Mario, Legend of Zelda, Pokemon, Kirby, Kid Icarus(?), and now Fire Emblem thanks to Awakening.

Not sure how else to explain it, but the way I see it in Smash, the ones that appear to be the most successful tend to get the most representation, and from that, that's why it happened

It's not that they don't "deserve" 4 characters, I just don't think Fire Emblem is big enough to have 4 reps.

Honestly, I thought the most Fire Emblem would ever get is three. Four is nice, but I just thought the Mario, Zelda, and Pokemon were the BIG series that deserved MANY reps. (GO ROSALINA. After her, I think Mario has enough reps.)

I think four, while cool, could have been a bit more balanced in terms of selection. As much as I hate Robin and don't mind Lucina, I don't think we needed a second FE13 character when one is a Marth clone. Almost any lord in the series could serve that purpose, giving it to a second FE13 character seemed silly to me, huge as FE13 is. Lucina could have easily been representation from elsewhere in the series, Eirika, Roy, Leif, Eliwood, or Seliph could have all filled that role.

Though yes, I do like having four characters. It gets the series more attention.

No, imo, FE totally deserves four reps, even though I didn't think it would get more than three and even though I think Ephraim should've been the fourth. :P

I don't think the number of reps a franchise has should depend entirely upon how popular it is. It should mostly depend on how many reasonable candidates it has for reps. And in the case of FE, it's both popular and full of good candidates.

Ultimately it comes down to the size of the roster and how many characters are representing each other major series. Considering that Lucina is basically a Marth clone with minor changes, it's really more like 3 characters currently, and I think that's the right amount - 3 characters, plus one clone - assuming the roster ends up somewhere around 40-45 characters excluding said clones.

Would people have complained if we had Marth, Roy and Ike in Brawl and than we have Robin in Smash 4 with all the returning characters from Brawl?

It's an interesting question for sure and I also thought FE would only get 3 playable characters too but at the end, I consider Lucina being a nice bonus rather than a completely new character since she is the poster-girl for the current FE game right now.

Toon-Link (I guess, he will return).

Toon Link was revealed, like, last year.

It's only irritating that the series was never heard or distributed before SSBM's release. Why it got so popular now...lol nobody knows.

Internationally, it wasn't distributed. In Japan, it was quite popular. It became popular because people like it.

I think four, while cool, could have been a bit more balanced in terms of selection. As much as I hate Robin and don't mind Lucina, I don't think we needed a second FE13 character when one is a Marth clone. Almost any lord in the series could serve that purpose, giving it to a second FE13 character seemed silly to me, huge as FE13 is. Lucina could have easily been representation from elsewhere in the series, Eirika, Roy, Leif, Eliwood, or Seliph could have all filled that role.

Though yes, I do like having four characters. It gets the series more attention.

Noone knows them (except maybe Eliwood), I don't even know a single person irl who played a FE beside 13.

this bullshit about a game "deserving" a certain number of reps is, well, bullshit.

unless there's some interview floating out there that lucina literally pushed another character out of her slot all it's going to be is buttfurious fanboys making mad words at elated fanboys

i think ssb4 "deserves" to have many characters for large (visual as much as gameplay) variety and so four fe reps is perfectly fine because four fe reps doesn't preclude X from being added

It's not that they don't "deserve" 4 characters, I just don't think Fire Emblem is big enough to have 4 reps.

Honestly, I thought the most Fire Emblem would ever get is three. Four is nice, but I just thought the Mario, Zelda, and Pokemon were the BIG series that deserved MANY reps. (GO ROSALINA. After her, I think Mario has enough reps.)

Yeah, the question of the topic might be sound a little bit too harsh. I've edited it. It's just the fact that there are (semi-)clones (Lucina) are added to inflate the number of characters.

Toon Link was revealed, like, last year.

Internationally, it wasn't distributed. In Japan, it was quite popular. It became popular because people like it.

Oops... thx! Edited.

Edited by TalesOf Hysteria

Well... tbh I guess I just don't really care... =o

I don't even care that much about characters that are copies. But I guess that's because I play every game I play casually~ To me I just like the characters themselves and not their movesets, so as long as they're different characters then I can choose favourites and I'm happy ^o^ I guess maybe it could get out of hand if they made several have the exact same moveset though~ But idk I probably would still hardly notice

So idk if that means no or not but I guess that's the closest to my answer?

I feel as if this post contributed absolutely nothing to the discussion though x3 Since my viewpoint doesn't really relate that much to the point it's making besides "it doesn't matter to me."

Edit: er no, not yes

Edited by Freohr Datia

Well... tbh I guess I just don't really care... =o

I don't even care that much about characters that are copies. But I guess that's because I play every game I play casually~ To me I just like the characters themselves and not their movesets, so as long as they're different characters then I can choose favourites and I'm happy ^o^ I guess maybe it could get out of hand if they made several have the exact same moveset though~ But idk I probably would still hardly notice

So idk if that means yes or not but I guess that's the closest to my answer?

I feel as if this post contributed absolutely nothing to the discussion though x3 Since my viewpoint doesn't really relate that much to the point it's making besides "it doesn't matter to me."

I like this right here. As a casual player (yet can get competitive with the people I play with) I second this completely

How?

i think ssb4 "deserves" to have many characters for large (visual as much as gameplay) variety and

EDIT: bolded for emphasis

Edited by Integrity

I think Fire Emblem deserved one new character (Robin), especially with his ability to represent the spellcasting side of the franchise, and, considering how this game started development by porting Brawl, there was no reason to drop characters that were already in the game (Marth, Ike). I don't really see Lucina as an actual 4th character in all ways. Like Sakurai revealed, she was just going to be a costume, but he decided to tweak her gameplay a bit and so she got moved to her own spot in the selection screen. I don't think that's comparable to characters like Marth, Ike and Robin that had their own completely original movesets.

Edited by NeonZ

I don't think FE "needs" 4 characters. I will, however, fuckin take it

Following what Integ said, I haven't seen anything that I would call "hard evidence," as in explicit statements to the effect from the smash developers, that any one franchise having more characters has precluded the inclusion of other any other franchise getting more characters who were seriously considered (unless you'd call people getting mad that one franchise got X characters and another got W characters despite franchise with W characters having greater all-time sales numbers or whatever the fuck "hard evidence")

At most, so far, given what Sakurai wrote about including Lucina+Robin and not Chrom, I've gotten that they might cast the decision of who to include in terms of candidates from their own franchise. Regarding how many dudes Fire Emblem had this time around, far as I can tell, he said "we had Robin who was an obvious pick [so originally we would've had 3 reps, which is what I personally was assuming/hoping for], and Lucina ended up being really easy to add and we thought 'she's different+relevant enough and it'd be cool, so, y'know, why not.'" Chrom didn't quite pass the same test Lucina did, and this is crucial, to the guys making the game, who are in the end just dudes with their own opinions who happen to have the last say on making the game, no more (as in, what "objectively deserves to get in") or less (as in, "they're wrong for including ___").

[spoiler=In conclusion]sdL50.jpg

4 Fire Emblem characters is fine, the only problem I have is that two of them are from Awakening. I guess originally it was going to be only Robin and then they made Lucina not a costume for whatever reason (because it'll increase hype). Still wrapping my head around the fact that out of hundreds of characters they went with the self-insert but the more I think about it the cooler I am with it. I would've been fine with Lucina and a magic user from another game (Celica? Micaiah? Lilina?) But the way it went down isn't tall that bad. More people get into FE and maybe start out with Awakening (the most accessible one) because of reps in Smash. More FE fans, more FE sales, more FE games made/localized. So if it benefits the series, I don't mind.