Volke The Extinguisher mod

For starters, it's 暗殺者.

"Ansatsushya"... That's freaking Assassin.

Trying to call him by his Japanese title is pointless considering he doesn't have "Fireman" as his class.

"Fireman". "Extinguisher". He extinguishes fire.

That is a valid translation.

Edit: I just looked it up...

火消し is LITERALLY "fireman" from the Edo period.

The hell man.

I'm not even sure what the hell the point of this is but...

FE10 iso, use Wiiscrubber.

Under the Mess folder, find the e_common.m, extract it.

HIbuUUm.png

Edit it using these instructions.

As long as my memory isn't failing me, e_c0101.m is the dialogue/message file for Part 1 Prologue. Unlike the DS games, I don't believe you need to decompress this file, so just open it up in a suitable hex editor. Depending on your hex editor, you may be able to see ASCII text on another pane, which should correspond to the game text. If you can see this text, it will make it much easier to edit the text, naturally.

The first 20 bytes of any message (.m) file is the header. The first 4 bytes indicates the end of file. For e_c0101.m, this is 00 00 1C 79, which means the end of file is at 0x1C79. The next 4 bytes is a pointer to the file footer. Since the header is 20 bytes, you need to add 20 bytes to this pointer to get the right address. So 00 00 19 DC points to 0x19FC. Notice that you don't need to reverse the bytes like in the handheld FEs. I can't remember what the 16th byte in the header is, I think it might be the number of messages.

Before editing a message, head straight to the file footer. For e_c0101.m, this is 0x19FC. As far I can remember, the format of the footer is

4 bytes that is a pointer to a message

4 bytes that is a pointer to a message label, offset by the beginning of all the labels

(repeat above until you reach the labels)

The "labels" are the ASCII text that you always see at the very end of the file, with names like "MS_0101_BT".

Eg. let's look at one pair of pointers

00 00 10 EC points to 0x10EC + 20 = 0x110C, which I think is the end of chapter dialogue, where Edward is speaking.

00 00 00 B0 points to 0x1AD4 (the beginning of the labels) + B0 = 0x1B84, which is the label "MS_0101_ED_02_03". Presumably ED means "ending", so every seems to be okay.

Now, to actually use this info to expand an existing message... Despite appearances, you can put your new message anywhere, so I would try putting it right after all the labels. You can test this by copying the contents of an existing message and change a few letters or something. Then, change the relevant pointer in the footer to point to the new message. Eg. I'm guessing 00 00 0C 74 is the boss's generic conversation. If your new conversation is at 0x1C90, you should change the pointer to 00 00 1C 70.

To finish off, you'll need to change the end of file bytes to something appropriate.

Is that the info you required? I'm afraid I can't tell you about the actual text editing, like how to use linebreaks and stuff, but I'm assuming you can figure it out easily by comparing with existing text.

KUsj0GC.png

Find the label that points to that "Assassin", because "Extinguisher" is longer, you have to repoint it.

The footer table starts at 0x23CF4 as indicated by the second 4 bytes + 0x20 for the header.

Since Assassin is at 0x17E0, subtract 0x20... The pointer should say 00 00 17 C0.

That pointer is at 0x28F34.

Repoint that somewhere and put "Extingisher" plus two 00s after it.

Replace the file with your new one and save the new ISO.

Edited by shadowofchaos

To be fair, Rey, the word extinguish in English not only means to douse flames, but also to kill something. Ergo, extinguisher can refer to Volke putting out fires while subtly referencing his role as an assassin. "Fireman" doesn't have that subtle double meaning.

Edited by Starman

Not sure if I'm more shocked by a request for a 'mod' that changes one line of text with zero in game effect, or the fact that Rey was generous enough to do it.

To be fair, Rey, the word extinguish in English not only means to douse flames, but also to kill something. Ergo, extinguisher can refer to Volke putting out fires while subtly referencing his role as an assassin. "Fireman" doesn't have that subtle double meaning.

I can concede that point.

But it is a valid translation. And I don't see the point of hacking it onto his freaking CLASS.

Edited by shadowofchaos

obligatory unwanted weigh-in: my preference is definitely for "fireman". yes, its meaning isn't as obvious, but that's kind of the point: it's a euphemism. since when have these sorts of criminal underworld-type names in any era ever been as obvious single-entendres as "extinguisher"?

hell, i've always thought of it as referring to problems (people or otherwise) in need of a hitman's removal as fires: unwanted, potentially catastrophic, not the sort of thing you want to leave unchecked. you want these fires dealt with? well, volke's clearly a professional at it with a name like "fireman"

(obviously i don't care if people want to hack their own games about this; i just thought the fireman matter was interesting enough to ramble about incessantly)

Edited by bookofholsety

obligatory unwanted weigh-in: my preference is definitely for "fireman". yes, its meaning isn't as obvious, but that's kind of the point: it's a euphemism. since when have these sorts of criminal underworld-type names in any era ever been as obvious single-entendres as "extinguisher"?

hell, i've always thought of it as referring to problems (people or otherwise) in need of a hitman's removal as fires: unwanted, potentially catastrophic, not the sort of thing you want to leave unchecked. you want these fires dealt with? well, volke's clearly a professional at it with a name like "fireman"

(obviously i don't care if people want to hack their own games about this; i just thought the fireman matter was interesting enough to ramble about incessantly)

This is how I took it - He's a troubleshooter, he "puts out fires"/takes care of problems.

It certainly sounds like an organized crime sobriquet.

That's an interesting point you raise. It reminds me of the stories I heard about mobsters saying things as "hiring a mechanic to fix their problems" as a sort of code for contracting a hitman. However, I don't think the comparison to organized crime is a valid one. Volke may appear shady, but at the end of the day he's just a mercenary like Ike and friends. Killing for hire is obviously not illegal in Tellius seeing as that is essentially what Ike, Greil, and their team had been doing for a fair amount of time.

That's an interesting point you raise. It reminds me of the stories I heard about mobsters saying things as "hiring a mechanic to fix their problems" as a sort of code for contracting a hitman. However, I don't think the comparison to organized crime is a valid one. Volke may appear shady, but at the end of the day he's just a mercenary like Ike and friends. Killing for hire is obviously not illegal in Tellius seeing as that is essentially what Ike, Greil, and their team had been doing for a fair amount of time.

It seems that they were mostly killing bandits and miscreants, though. Volke seems like the kind of guy who might get paid to off a merchant or a noble. I admit, though, that this is idle speculation.

actually, the comparison is entirely supported by canon. quoth fe9 chapter 10:

Volke

So that's your plan, eh? Listen, you get the report when I get paid, and I'm not waiting around until then. I'll keep my information for the time being. Call me when you've got the gold. Stop into any tavern along your way. Tell the barkeep you've need of a fireman. You'll see me within an hour.

cloaking the process of hiring volke in euphemisms and indirectness? that's as underworld as this stuff comes

this aside, there are plenty of reasons for assassins to be considered a shadier occupation than mercenaries. relative anonymity and unrecognisability would be valued when your entire modus operandi is swift infiltration without being recognised, thus making establishing barriers such as nom de plumes or convoluted means of contact such as volke's example valued to maintain these traits. one could even argue it's a matter of respect; compared to meathead mercenaries like ike, who very much operate in the public eye and in one's face without hiding much of anything, the assassin occupation could be viewed as being dishonourable through its foundation upon stealth, trickery and backstabbing, earning them little respect and trust and leading them to be viewed, very much, as back-alley type figures in society

needing the explicit organised crime structure of our modern era is pretty much unnecessary for assassins to have all the same shady cultural trappings