About the fantasy "boob plate"

ClassyWolf

Yeah, exploring sex and our opinions on/reactions to it in fiction, done in good faith, is a fine and cool exercise/theme to have in a work, and judging a living person for whatever kind of clothing they're wearing is both not my business and generally pointless, due to both probably not being accurate on my end and because it rarely matters, I think, etc. What I mean to say is that when it comes to character design, the creator decides both said character's personality and opinions and thoughts, and also the character's place in the narrative. If they're flirtatious/seductive so that the work can either look at that critically or at least to make a good narrative hook out of it, I'll call it basically fair, though keeping in mind that the author's point of view is what I'm getting, no more/less. It'd be nice for me to see them give more to the character than that kind of trait, and to not have the thing seem too opinionated/too far into the realm of value judgment, but conceptually it can be worth a shot.

If they're just like that because the author likes it, thinks it's fun to write or to see etc, then it's gonna grate on some people, especially if it caters to one set of tastes way more than others, but there are admittedly worse things than cheesecake for cheesecake's sake if it keeps the commentary to a minimum. There's more to it than just that, if you want to look at genre conventions and the audiences and patterns of subtext or any other kind of meta crap, but on its own it's hard to call a single instance of "I'm gonna draw some women the way I like seeing them drawn" or whatever a crime, idealized or not (unless it's explicitly misogynistic). But if the characters are only like that because the creator likes having them like that or because it's an appeal to people who like seeing them that way, and they're in a work that has something totally separate from delivering cheesecake as its goal, it can be jarring to see together/associate sexualization+war (when the former's really not what we're here for). That's when I think it's not just grating, it's a bit nonsense, and at worst getting towards creepy.

There's a lot of ways to make a mess of it.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, exploring sex and our opinions on/reactions to it in fiction, done in good faith, is a fine and cool exercise/theme to have in a work, and judging a living person for whatever kind of clothing they're wearing is both not my business and generally pointless, due to both probably not being accurate on my end and because it rarely matters, I think, etc. What I mean to say is that when it comes to character design, the creator decides both said character's personality and opinions and thoughts, and also the character's place in the narrative. If they're flirtatious/seductive so that the work can either look at that critically or at least to make a good narrative hook out of it, I'll call it basically fair, though keeping in mind that the author's point of view is what I'm getting, no more/less. It'd be nice for me to see them give more to the character than that kind of trait, and to not have the thing seem too opinionated/too far into the realm of value judgment, but conceptually it can be worth a shot.

If they're just like that because the author likes it, thinks it's fun to write or to see etc, then it's gonna grate on some people, especially if it caters to one set of tastes way more than others, but there are admittedly worse things than cheesecake for cheesecake's sake if it keeps the commentary to a minimum. There's more to it than just that, if you want to look at genre conventions and the audiences and patterns of subtext or any other kind of meta crap, but on its own it's hard to call a single instance of "I'm gonna draw some women the way I like seeing them drawn" or whatever a crime, idealized or not (unless it's explicitly misogynistic). But if the characters are only like that because the creator likes having them like that or because it's an appeal to people who like seeing them that way, and they're in a work that has something totally separate from delivering cheesecake as its goal, it can be jarring to see together/associate sexualization+war (when the former's really not what we're here for). That's when I think it's not just grating, it's a bit nonsense, and at worst getting towards creepy.

There's a lot of ways to make a mess of it.

There are parts with your text that I disagree with, such as the part about judging someone depending on what they wear. While true, it doesn't work for everyone, it works for most people because most people tend to dress as they are. You wouldn't see someone of everyday people suddenly start wearing skintight leather clothes unless they went through a personality change. The point I'm trying to get across is that judging someone is not a bad thing unless you make it a bad thing. Dost thou not judge a person in order to stay safe or do you always walk around thinking that everyone on the street is a kind person? That guy with the metal pipe, perhaps he can help.

It's more accurate than what you think if you pay attention.

More on the topic though, the characters are drawn to be sexualized and some are made to be sexual icons. Tharja being the perfect and undeniable example of that.

Let's not forget that Fire Emblem series is a series that primarily have a bunch of characters in their pre-teen to high teen-years, the years where people try to find themselves both in personality and sexuality.

And they want us to believe that a bunch of kids would stick together and win a war. Yeah no, they'd be too busy checking each others out. In fact, isn't that what the whole so-called love system even is about?

"Now, who do your character want to bonk?"

"When the former's not really what we're here for"

True. That'd just make it an amazingly adult series if that was the case. And it'd never see the light of day outside of Japan in that case.

After all, let's not forget that the only reason Lyn got an age change in the series was because there's implied sex and OHGOD knows we can't have someone under the age of 18 do that!

Double standards you know.

I ramble a lot. I blame the heat here.

The main point I was trying to get across is this;

Fire Emblem is a series of war, love, and subtle sex.

With Awakening, they just decided to throw the subtle part away and design the armors and characters really stupidly.

I made a large, finished effortpost response, and likely through my own stupidity it was somehow eaten

I'm going to need, like, a moment, or a hundred or so to get over it

Edited by Rehab

For me the problem isin't the lack of realism (after all, suspension of disbelief is the price of admission to a work of fantasy). For me the problem is sexism and the objectification of women. Realism is, after all, not an issue when the character conserned is a loli dragon, BUt that is not why her wearing only sexy underwear is an issue.

I made a large, finished effortpost response, and likely through my own stupidity it was somehow eaten

I'm going to need, like, a moment, or a hundred or so to get over it

You know, I don't know if it's the site or yourself, but that tends to happen a lot for you.

It happened to me before, which is why I usually notepad long posts that I make now.

rip in peace late post

Edited by Tryhard

tumblr_m6e9x1YxtB1rsdyc4o1_500.jpg

sexay

Seriously broseph, put that on, and try to fight with a sword and buckler style shield with that. Go on, ill wait.

You wont be able to, end of discussion. One cannot move their legs the way needed to wield a sword, and their upper body is totally wide open. Its pointless to even wear that thing, might as well be wearing a hoodie during a fight for all the good it will do. Hell, the hoodie might be more practical cuz you can move in it.

This is closer to what women would wear in battle. Seeing how Lagertha's example here is taking liberties with history, this is a fiction example. (if we were talking historically accurate, she'd have a helm.) Dontcha think that looks a lot more functional and makes more sense? Its pretty sexy in its way too. Cuz women kicking ass in a shield wall is hot.

Full blown fictional example of good female combat design goes to Brienne of Tarth. Bamf. Seriously, why try making something look "sexy" when going full bamf like this is better? Not only does it work in a combat situation, it suits the character itself. It makes sense in the universe that story is told in.

With Nowi, the outfit does match her characterization to some degree. But there are other ways of conveying her personality through her costume without it being so scantily. Cherche's backless outfit makes NO sense due to her character AND her class. While Cherche has "odd tastes", that is exemplified by her maid headband clashing with her wyvern neck/head ornament. (and still looking kinda awesome) So the sexy backless outfit is really unnecessary.

Before people start going off about how only men design this stuff, thats not exactly true. Women designers do make characters who are scantily as well. Some do it cuz they like how it looks. Most do it cuz its the cash monies. That last bit is the issue. The cash monies. People wanna see goods and it pays. Sex and sexism = the cash monies and thats depressing. We should fix that.

Edited by Loki Laufeyson

This is closer to what women would wear in battle. Seeing how Lagertha's example here is taking liberties with history, this is a fiction example. (if we were talking historically accurate, she'd have a helm.) Dontcha think that looks a lot more functional and makes more sense? Its pretty sexy in its way too. Cuz women kicking ass in a shield wall is hot.

I actually think that outfit looks sexier than the one Esau posted. Even though Lagertha's face is a bit too harsh for me (sorry I'm a lambhearted man).

I actually think that outfit looks sexier than the one Esau posted. Even though Lagertha's face is a bit too harsh for me (sorry I'm a lambhearted man).

Much sexier, and much more useful too!

It is seriously hot, definitely. Katheryn Winnick in armor is full on yes pls.

Here's one of Þorunn although shes not as heavily armored. (she might be in season 3 doe, so excite!) seriously Gaia Weiss shoulda played Daenerys. hnngh.djfdgfjdfsd

Is it offensive: I don't think so.

it really can be though, thats the point. In the case of Nowi, its really pushing it.

Seriously broseph, put that on, and try to fight with a sword and buckler style shield with that. Go on, ill wait.

You wont be able to, end of discussion. One cannot move their legs the way needed to wield a sword, and their upper body is totally wide open. Its pointless to even wear that thing, might as well be wearing a hoodie during a fight for all the good it will do. Hell, the hoodie might be more practical cuz you can move in it.

Full blown fictional example of good female combat design goes to Brienne of Tarth. Bamf. Seriously, why try making something look "sexy" when going full bamf like this is better? Not only does it work in a combat situation, it suits the character itself. It makes sense in the universe that story is told in.

With Nowi, the outfit does match her characterization to some degree. But there are other ways of conveying her personality through her costume without it being so scantily. Cherche's backless outfit makes NO sense due to her character AND her class. While Cherche has "odd tastes", that is exemplified by her maid headband clashing with her wyvern neck/head ornament. (and still looking kinda awesome) So the sexy backless outfit is really unnecessary.

Before people start going off about how only men design this stuff, thats not exactly true. Women designers do make characters who are scantily as well. Some do it cuz they like how it looks. Most do it cuz its the cash monies. That last bit is the issue. The cash monies. People wanna see goods and it pays. Sex and sexism = the cash monies and thats depressing. We should fix that.

I think most do it just because it looks nice, is all. Everyone gets in a tiff about inaccurate or unhelpful armor but has no problems with magical weapons that can cleave through stone, or talking animals, or any number of fantasy contrivances that are fun for viewers. Bit of a disconnect, don't you think?

Not really. Unless it's magical boob armour that somehow works better than proper armour, no. The idea behind magical weapons is that in-universe they are better than the alternative (ie non-magical weapons that can't cleave through stone). Boob armour is never going to be superior, hence the problem.

The whole "it's fantasy let's do what we want" argument is silly because the best fantasy has stuff that is internally consistent or makes sense in-universe. Like, random cats don't just talk unless it's some cat show where all cats can talk. If a cat talks, it's probably Salem or Yoruichi or something. There's a reason behind it. What's the reason behind boob-plate?

I think most do it just because it looks nice, is all. Everyone gets in a tiff about inaccurate or unhelpful armor but has no problems with magical weapons that can cleave through stone, or talking animals, or any number of fantasy contrivances that are fun for viewers. Bit of a disconnect, don't you think?

i can't really be bothered getting into that but to me it just usually doesn't look nice at all

i can't see it

Not really. Unless it's magical boob armour that somehow works better than proper armour, no. The idea behind magical weapons is that in-universe they are better than the alternative (ie non-magical weapons that can't cleave through stone). Boob armour is never going to be superior, hence the problem.

The whole "it's fantasy let's do what we want" argument is silly because the best fantasy has stuff that is internally consistent or makes sense in-universe. Like, random cats don't just talk unless it's some cat show where all cats can talk. If a cat talks, it's probably Salem or Yoruichi or something. There's a reason behind it. What's the reason behind boob-plate?

Okay, but there's a suspension of disbelief that extends further than simply handwaving magic away. Why do people that we are supposed to assume are competent swordsmen in action movies do acrobatic flips? Why do heroes blasting people with handguns seem to have infinite ammo, even in a rough, gritty setting? Complaining about something being tactically unsound in a magical realm is just kind of silly. This is a series in which a single guy takes out a towering war elephant filled with bad guys by sliding around on it shooting arrows at rapid-fire speed. This same guy rides a shield down stairs while bow-and-arrowing a guy in the face, then ripping that arrow out of said guy and shooting it at someone else.

I don't think it's that big a deal. Fantasy dudes wear skimpy clothing all the time too. Bits of leather with studs or random armguards of very clearly modern reproduction armor are pretty standard fare in fantasy action movies for both sexes. To be honest in a world like LotR I think I'd rather wear sexy chainmail given armor doesn't do tits against ninety percent of enemies shown.

i can't really be bothered getting into that but to me it just usually doesn't look nice at all

i can't see it

Well I think it looks awesome

sometimes

usually

occasionally

Okay, but there's a suspension of disbelief that extends further than simply handwaving magic away. Why do people that we are supposed to assume are competent swordsmen in action movies do acrobatic flips? Why do heroes blasting people with handguns seem to have infinite ammo, even in a rough, gritty setting? Complaining about something being tactically unsound in a magical realm is just kind of silly. This is a series in which a single guy takes out a towering war elephant filled with bad guys by sliding around on it shooting arrows at rapid-fire speed. This same guy rides a shield down stairs while bow-and-arrowing a guy in the face, then ripping that arrow out of said guy and shooting it at someone else.

I don't think it's that big a deal. Fantasy dudes wear skimpy clothing all the time too. Bits of leather with studs or random armguards of very clearly modern reproduction armor are pretty standard fare in fantasy action movies for both sexes. To be honest in a world like LotR I think I'd rather wear sexy chainmail given armor doesn't do tits against ninety percent of enemies shown.

Acrobatic flips are probably pretty similar to skimpy costumes and boob plate, actually. I can't imagine an in-universe explanation for turning your back on your enemy and spinning around and why the enemy hasn't stabbed you in the back before you bring your sword to bear. Rule of cool or whatever. I'm not defending that. Talking animals and stone-cleaving swords like your previous example though? A wizard did it or whatever. It makes more sense.

Infinite ammo is also a similar problem to boob plate, but for different reasons. It's not stupid like let's direct the sword into the sternum, at least. But it is impossible unless they have special weapons and in a Die Hard like setting there's obviously no magic weapons that explain infinite ammo. It's impossible, but it's still not completely stupid like boob plate. It's obvious how it could be functional. Infinite ammo = useful. Boob plate = useless.

Legolas is just that good, though. Seriously. You can't equate that to boob plate.

Now, random armguards are also similar to boob plate. They do squat against anything but look cool. Sure, there's a chance that a sword will randomly deflect off that metal thing on a fraction of a guy's arm, but really? And sometimes they even use those things to highlight strappy muscle or whatever, so it even does a similar function to boob plate. If you get stabbed in the boob or it gets deflected into the heart, you probably die either way, so at least it doesn't make the situation worse and ditto armguard. So yes, tiny armguards = boob plate for stupidity. Does that mean we should defend boob plate because some other stupid thing got in? Maybe we should just say that a tiny metal bracer should also be out unless it's a magical tiny metal bracer that creates a forcefield. They have those in video games, why not movies? That's also the defence I gave for the bikini armour in Dungeon Lords. It must have a magic forcefield.

And to the guys saying it doesn't look good, I just have one thing to say: Xena. Imagine her in proper armour compared to what she wears. What's more attractive?

Only that's Jackson's version of Lord of the Rings.

I recommend the animated version over it. Probably better to read the book.

Legolas accuracy is absolutely ridiculous and I hate it. Every time you need a great archer in fantasy, they'll have some person who can shot all the six dots on a dice from six miles away.

Just as much as I hate that, I dislike the boob plate. Can it look good? Certainly it can look sexy. Is it good? No. It's not. And do you wanna know the real issue?

This.

Paladin_Male.jpg

Paladin_Female.jpg

Compare the two and you'll see right away why people get ticked off by it but in the case you cannot see it;

Her entire ass is exposed. The only thing that'd make it worse - or better - would be if she wore thongs.

What's the purpose of it? Ease of access to have a quickie? To have an easier time to go to the bathroom?

Well I can certainly understand that since Knights usually did their business in their armors historically but otherwise, it's ridiculous.

The freaking Bow Knight is more armored than what the Paladin is. Not that I am complaining per say.

I'd like to say that it's insulting to see that. Why aren't the men's ass exposed like that?

Let's play the devil's advocate. You want to play an agile fighter with a sword and you want to be able to outspeed your opponents and look sexy while doing it.

Step one is to not wear plate. You'd probably be wearing leather or silk and reveal as much skin as you possible could.

Thus step two, the boob fantasy plate is pointless again because it would simply not be adequate.

In fact, you might actually end up wearing something like this;

228px-250px-Marisa.jpg

There are only two, reasons, why such armors exist that are sexualized in sexiness.

1. Men's dreams.

2. Females that want to look sexy because they still haven't gotten over their princess dreams. - Best way I can describe it.

I'm going to say that you'd probably not want to be wearing a sexy chainmail armor on since that'd scrape your nipples and feel very uncomfortable unless you were wearing something else under it.

And if you'd be wearing something else under it, it wouldn't be sexy anymore.

Edited by Zeithri

IIRC they got the No More Heroes guy to make some designs for Awakening without even telling him what game it was for first. Cheesecake is what the poor bastard built his career on

[spoiler=quote "it's almost like he thinks he's funny" unquote]It's like if they got Bruce Timm to draw some superhero designs and then told him they were going to use them for a Batman serie... oh

Acrobatic flips are probably pretty similar to skimpy costumes and boob plate, actually. I can't imagine an in-universe explanation for turning your back on your enemy and spinning around and why the enemy hasn't stabbed you in the back before you bring your sword to bear. Rule of cool or whatever. I'm not defending that. Talking animals and stone-cleaving swords like your previous example though? A wizard did it or whatever. It makes more sense.

Infinite ammo is also a similar problem to boob plate, but for different reasons. It's not stupid like let's direct the sword into the sternum, at least. But it is impossible unless they have special weapons and in a Die Hard like setting there's obviously no magic weapons that explain infinite ammo. It's impossible, but it's still not completely stupid like boob plate. It's obvious how it could be functional. Infinite ammo = useful. Boob plate = useless.

Legolas is just that good, though. Seriously. You can't equate that to boob plate.

Now, random armguards are also similar to boob plate. They do squat against anything but look cool. Sure, there's a chance that a sword will randomly deflect off that metal thing on a fraction of a guy's arm, but really? And sometimes they even use those things to highlight strappy muscle or whatever, so it even does a similar function to boob plate. If you get stabbed in the boob or it gets deflected into the heart, you probably die either way, so at least it doesn't make the situation worse and ditto armguard. So yes, tiny armguards = boob plate for stupidity. Does that mean we should defend boob plate because some other stupid thing got in? Maybe we should just say that a tiny metal bracer should also be out unless it's a magical tiny metal bracer that creates a forcefield. They have those in video games, why not movies? That's also the defence I gave for the bikini armour in Dungeon Lords. It must have a magic forcefield.

And to the guys saying it doesn't look good, I just have one thing to say: Xena. Imagine her in proper armour compared to what she wears. What's more attractive?

I don't understand how you're accepting that these things are done in movies as conventions to be interesting but then saying that boob plate doesn't count for the same exact reasons. It's just for aesthetics. Most of the time the armor that knights wear in movies is all wrong and ineffective anyways as battlefield protection as well. It's just there to look nice.

I'd like to say that it's insulting to see that. Why aren't the men's ass exposed like that?

They are. Look at the picture. The only difference is the man's wearing pants while the woman is not. Neither of them are wearing tassets.

I don't know why everyone transforms into armchair plate tacticians every time someone in boob plate appears on screen, but then fall into a daze when people break formations in fights to have heroic duels with swords. If fantasy movies behaved like real life they would be boring, dull, and very depressing.

The man's legs are exposed, as in unprotected, but they are also not exposed, as in visibly unclothed. She meant the latter

There's the idea of rule of cool, and there there's something approximating rule of sexy. They both spawn inconsistencies and fudge authenticity/"reality," but they're done for different reasons. And I at least have actually seen people comment on both sorts of things, it's just that I've observed the emotions being a bit different in either case. The sorts of excitement they're intended to generate, and the aesthetic tastes they're trying to please, are clearly different- for example, one is less likely, on average, to remind/be a point indicating to female viewers that they're not the target audience.

And to be sure, a lot of people find boob plates and rule of ___ boring, dull and especially depressing, too, and have the opposite preferences of their counterparts. That, and there's also the option to make the fantasy scenario so out-there that the same rules can't possibly be applied in the same ways to their battles (at least not in the exact same mass duel scenarios and shit). Like in Attack on Titan, which people love the shit out of.

Edited by Rehab

I don't understand how you're accepting that these things are done in movies as conventions to be interesting but then saying that boob plate doesn't count for the same exact reasons. It's just for aesthetics. Most of the time the armor that knights wear in movies is all wrong and ineffective anyways as battlefield protection as well. It's just there to look nice.

I don't understand how you think I'm accepting all those things. I even specifically said some of them fall into the same category as boob plate. The thing is, not all of your examples fall into the category of boob plate. You don't seem to distinguish between the different things and I'm trying to help you see the difference. If you can't even read what I'm saying though, there's little point, so bye.

The man's legs are exposed, as in unprotected, but they are also not exposed, as in visibly unclothed. She meant the latter

Oh. I see. Well, if they're arguing from a point of historical accuracy or tactical usage, an unarmored or unclothed thigh area wasn't exactly unheard of.

I don't understand how you think I'm accepting all those things. I even specifically said some of them fall into the same category as boob plate. The thing is, not all of your examples fall into the category of boob plate. You don't seem to distinguish between the different things and I'm trying to help you see the difference. If you can't even read what I'm saying though, there's little point, so bye.

You stated they fall into the category of boob plate, and then attempted to differentiate them and handwave them away by saying that they are different for harebrained reasons. No, it doesn't matter that it would be useful for a gun to have infinite ammo in an action movie. It doesn't have infinite ammo because it would be useful, it's just for ease of filming. It's just for fun.

Boob plate is around for the same reason bare-chested warriors like Conan, Leonidas, and more recently Hercules are in films. They're pleasing to look at. Depending on how it's handled, it can look kind of cool too. It's not that big a deal, I don't think.

They are. Look at the picture. The only difference is the man's wearing pants while the woman is not. Neither of them are wearing tassets.

I don't know why everyone transforms into armchair plate tacticians every time someone in boob plate appears on screen, but then fall into a daze when people break formations in fights to have heroic duels with swords. If fantasy movies behaved like real life they would be boring, dull, and very depressing.

The man's ass isn't exposed. The woman's is.

I love that excuse. Whenever there's an argument on the internet, people just throw out terms like social justice warrior and armchair warrior instead of actually acknowledging the faults.

I have a book right here called the Book of Chivalry by Geoffroi de Charny as well as a historic magazine about armor and wars and not once I have brought it up before because it has not been relevant, but now that you had to mention armchair plate tactician, evidently I had to. And that's all I am going to say about that. If most games and movies were like in real life, most people would not play them and this makes that argumentation point completely pointless.

Do you perhaps watch Sci-fi for the realism?

And while on the topic, some of my favorite fantasy movies involve Conan the Barbarian from 1982, Dragonheart and .. I can't remember the third movie.

I guess the only thing I can ask is, how would you like it if every piece of armor you got looked sweet and awesome on everyone else except your character where it turned into a barely covering thong - And you're a big burly male barbarian character? Because that's the reality of the fantasy boob plate ( and my personal hatred for how Dark Mage & Sorcerer are dressed in Awakening ) and that is why people don't like it. It has nothing to do with being a so-called armchair warrior. It has to do with people don't want their characters to look like that.

Boob plate is around for the same reason bare-chested warriors like Conan, Leonidas, and more recently Hercules are in films. They're pleasing to look at. Depending on how it's handled, it can look kind of cool too. It's not that big a deal, I don't think.

And this comes back in "I don't think it's a big deal" which can be interpreted as "I don't play those characters so it doesn't matter to me. It's fine."

No, it is not fine. We should never pretend that it is fine. Some people will want it, some people will not.

That's like me saying "Oh, I play characters that wear big poofy robes so, you all others can be naked. It's fine for me." :/: How is that fine for anyone?

Edited by Zeithri

Why do female snipers go to the battlefield in stockings and a mini-skirt?

ccQlpnW.jpg

Because they look freaking amazing doing it, that's why!

Edited by Mangs