Should I beat Shadow Dragon first?

Somehow I keep passing over this game, despite the translation looking fantastic and all of the great reviews from members here and reddit. I think it's because I want to complete Shadow Dragon first, and I just end up losing interest in that game around Chapter 7. Should I finish Shadow Dragon or just jump to FE12?

And on a semi-related note, does Shadow Dragon get better as you go on? :P Maybe I just need to give that game another chance..

I think Shadow Dragon is great if you don't mind no-frills Fire Emblem. But I can imagine, in the modern day, it's not too appealing for some people, especially with all the fancier Fire Emblems available.

Personally I'd stick with Shadow Dragon. Most FE games, I find tend to get better as you go along, as your characters get stronger and you have more options available to you. But that could just be me ^^

If you do jump straight to FE12, you shouldn't feel out of place because they tell you everything you need to know about Shadow Dragon (i.e. Marth and friends traveled all around Archanea and beat up Medeus in the end).

after the initial slumpy part that every fire emblem is guilty of to an extent, i didn't think shadow dragon got significantly better. it's like a slump, a peak after chapter probably 5 or 6ish, and then a flat line at that level with minor fluctuations to the end of the game (which is a huge dip, i hate the final for shadow dragon).

i'm not much in love with fe12 either but i don't think you're missing much by skipping 11 and going straight in.

You would only need to know the story of FE12 if you beat Shadow Dragon, which they tell you in the prologue of FE12 regardless. I would play Shadow Dragon first then FE12, because Shadow Dragon is quite short compared to FE12

as pro-fe11 as i am, if you're not inclined to finish it you won't miss anything at all if you skip to fe12. it makes sure you don't miss even a single detail about what happened or why you're supposed to care about new recruits returning from fe11 (sometimes to painful extremes)

It makes sense to finish FE11 first to understand the complete story. FE11 is very short, because the story is told very shortly and there aren't any support conversations. On lowest difficulty I could beat it in just two days.

FE12 has more to offer than FE11. You create an avatar, have new characters, barracs like in FE11 and support conversations. Consequently it includes more playtime.