Starting the Japan-only titles; which should I play first?

Wander

49 members have voted

1. 1. Which Fire Emblem should I play first?

So, yeah, having played all the international Fire Emblems, I've decided it may be time for me to play the ones only released in Japan. Which one should I start with?

If at all helpful, here's my favorites to least favorites:

FE 9 > FE 10 = FE 7 > FE 13 > FE 8 >>>> FE 11.

I'm leaning towards 4 or 6, seeing as I should probably play 4 before 5 and I should probably play 6 since I've played 7, but I'm open to suggestions.

No point in playing FE 1 since I've played 11, and 3 has a remake, so that's about all of them. I've heard Gaiden's outdated but if enough people suggest it I'm open to playing it.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly? Probably FE12.

FE4 has huge maps and it's probably not the best to get into quite yet, FE5 is notorious for its high difficulty, and FE6 is solid (and my first Japanese only FE), but you might find yourself turned off by the larger maps (though not on par with FE4's) and hit rates being wonky.

I'd go with 4 or 6. Probably 6, since it's a lot like 7.

FE12 is too much like FE11 IMO, which you dislike. I actually find it worse than FE11 (though I like 11), but most people seem to like it.

Edited by Nobody

Personally, I'd recommend 12 - 4 has huge maps and wonky mechanics, both of which I consider to be massive turnoffs, and 6 has the maps, which are huge by GBA standards, and that might dissuade you from playing it..

Edited by Levant Caprice

12 is probably the closest to 'modern' FE games, and improved on a lot of 11's flaws (depending on what you didn't like about it).

@ZM: Thanks for your input! I dunno how much huge maps would irritate me, as none of the games I've played have had particularly large maps imo. I've heard FE 12 is much better than FE 11, so hopefully that's the case as I didn't enjoy FE 11 all that much.

@Marty: I'm pretty flexible, I think. I don't think the different mechanics of the earlier ones would turn me off too much, although I am worried FE 5 would be too hard for me.

@Nobody: I wasn't a fan of 11's story, mostly because of the characters. I also didn't like most of the maps and some of the calculations (dodging is much less common, for example). Finally, it may have just been me, but it really felt like most of the characters had crappy growth rates. I prefer the higher growth rates of Awakening, to be honest.

Oh, and this is odd because I usually don't care about them, but man 11's graphics were uninspired.

@Levant: Thanks! What about 4 is wonky? I know there's no rescue or trading (except between lovers?) and I'm not entirely sure how castles work. Oh, and weapon weight confuses me-- I read you subtract it directly from speed, but I'm not sure if it takes negative speed into account when calculating doubling with Pursuit.

@Alg: Mostly it was the characters of 11 having no personality/dialogue and the chapter design being meh. They also seemed to have poor growth rates, which can hurt the feeling of progression (imo).

I don't like 11's reclassing system either, but I could just ignore it in 12, so that's a moot point.

Anyways, thank you guys for your input! Keep it coming, though it's looking like 12 is the favorite (which surprises me a bit).

@Levant: Thanks! What about 4 is wonky? I know there's no rescue or trading (except between lovers?) and I'm not entirely sure how castles work. Oh, and weapon weight confuses me-- I read you subtract it directly from speed, but I'm not sure if it takes negative speed into account when calculating doubling with Pursuit.

The part where every unit has their own money, and the part where shops have to be used as a middleman when transferring items from one unit to another. AND the part where weapon ranks are fixed.

@Nobody: I wasn't a fan of 11's story, mostly because of the characters. I also didn't like most of the maps and some of the calculations (dodging is much less common, for example). Finally, it may have just been me, but it really felt like most of the characters had crappy growth rates. I prefer the higher growth rates of Awakening, to be honest.

Oh, and this is odd because I usually don't care about them, but man 11's graphics were uninspired.

You should enjoy 12 then. It fixes the character development with loads of supports and the growths are all around much higher. The story is fine; not significantly better than 11's, but also not worse. Unfortunately, the graphics aren't any better.

Castles basically work like towns, with shops and arenas and everything. You have one main one you have to guard and you have to seize the enemy ones. Think of it like 3-5 normal FE seize maps mashed together plus a defend (sort of).

Attack speed can indeed be negative.

No trading at all. Need to use the pawn shop. Gold can be exchanged between lovers. And no rescuing at all either, aside from rescue staves.

I'd say go:

6 -> 12 -> 4 -> 5

6 was my least favorite, though I still enjoyed it, and somehow it feels like it aged worse than 4 & 5.

12 is pretty similar to 11 in some respects, but improved all around as I mentioned.

Cam summed up my feelings on 4 pretty well. It's very enjoyable, but next to nothing like other FEs. It's not too hard to adapt to the play style though.

5 is also very fun, and if you don't play blind it's not too bad, but it can be aggravating at points, and I would agree that you should play 4 before it.

I like 4, it's an easy enough game but a diverse enough experience to still be fun.

I'd love FE2 if I could get around the horrible NES interface.

In order:

6 - plays much like FE7, just a little more difficult.

4 - One of the more different FE in the series. Generally considered an easy game although there's new players getting stuck or just struggling now and then.

5 - Beginner's traps everywhere. Play when you feel more confident in your ability to deal with bad situations.

12 - Because you listed 11 as your least favorite. It is more fun than Shadow Dragon that's for sure.

One important thing to know about FE6 is that you can't use Promotion Items and Stat Boosters at the base (you have to use them on the battlefield). FE7 was actually the first game to implement this.

I say play FE6 first, then FE12, then FE4 and FE5. You can play FE12 later if you want, but definitely play FE5 after FE4.

fe4 is weird but great

This, it's enjoyable after you get used to the change of mechanics, some are broken and others are quite lacking like Rescue and Trade, Weapon Ranks, among others. Maps are huge as fuck but it won't be a problem with the in game's Save system by the beginning of each turn. Story and chars are nice, too. And 1RN system is trully amazing amirite :smug:

I actually really enjoy FE12, even though I've never finished it. It's much improved from FE11 and the story is far more interesting (although the subplot with Katarina is far more interesting than the main plot imo). FE6 is really good, but, as aforementioned, the hit rate is wonky, and I've heard it's one of the most difficult FE games. (However, I did download the "Binding Blade Super Hack" which knocks the difficulty down a keg, so you might want to try that).

FE6. Being basically FE1 redux, it's probably the least compelling of them, plus it's a decent place to wean yourself off support convos.

I'd love FE2 if I could get around the horrible NES interface.

I'd be one to say FE2, but there is this. I've just gotten used to the clunky interface by this point.

Otherwise I'd say 12 or 4.

Edited by Tryhard

FE6. Being basically FE1 redux, it's probably the least compelling of them, plus it's a decent place to wean yourself off support convos.

???

I don't see how FE6 is an FE1 redux when its story is more akin to FE3, IIRC (right down to the game ending prematurely if you fail to get certain items).