What is your favorite/least favorite class costume design?

And if I may take one more shot at Dark Mage, forget the daytime- they'd freeze overnight in something so skimpy. And no, using their capes for warmth won't work.

Oh God what have I ever done... D:

(which are not even designed by Kozaki but whoever the art director is)

I think Kozaki was also the outfit designer... but I'm not sure about it. Most of the class sketches I saw around on wikis looked like they were drawn by him. I might be wrong though!

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Favorites:
Myrmidon - Once attempted to cosplay as one (and failed miserably). 'Nuff said.

Tactician - Pure awesomeness - It's a cloak, what do you expect.

Least Favorite:
Sniper - Their (enemy) head gears scare me.

It had a little more to do with the FE team being able to afford a dedicated artist than the Super Famicom, iirc. FE1/2 mugs (and everything else) were drawn by programmers in their spare time.

Anyway, I prefer the old designs, especially FE3-5 style.

And if I may take one more shot at Dark Mage, forget the daytime- they'd freeze overnight in something so skimpy. And no, using their capes for warmth won't work.

Also FE1 and 2 still carry many Greek influences in their design, while FE3 and beyond go for a more medieval look. I think the definite FE look we are talking about starts really in FE3.

I wasnt referring to animations with the aesthetic. I was referring to shift in character design between FE12 and FE13. FE1 through FE12 has a clear style that runs through the characters. If you want to get particular, the style really starts with FE3 due to the power of the Super Famicom allowing for complex designs. But there is a distinct old school anime feel, even up until Radiant Dawn. FE13 goes with a more modern, radical anime design. That's the easiest way I can put it.

I can certainly see that, one of the things I noticed about Awakening is that it's more "anime" than previous installments. I would like to know what part of the character design you were referring too specifically if not combat animations though.

I can certainly see that, one of the things I noticed about Awakening is that it's more "anime" than previous installments. I would like to know what part of the character design you were referring too specifically if not combat animations though.

I was referring to the actual design of characters by Yusuke Kozaki. His style of art is very different than every other character designer in the past.

I think there is a definite type of art style that is pervasive in FE3 through FE12. So what I was referring to the actual way the characters are designed. FE3 through FE12 have more of old school anime design. When I say old school anime, I'm also including the 90s. It's less flashy, more utility based designs. FE13 has more ornate and stylistic designs, that in some cases have very little practical use.

I would say the reason why FE13 looks "more anime" is because it looks more like the contemporary anime that are widely available. The games prior had a look of that old school anime that I'm referring too. I'm using the anime explanation because that's the best way I can describe. It basically boils down to this: FE3 through FE12 have a similar style of their characters. while FE13 has different style for their characters.