The new Sailor Moon Crystal sucks

Klokinator

And here are my thoughts on why exactly it sucks.

I just can't figure out how after all these years, stripping the show of its soundtrack, the powerup songs, the theme song, and then adding in as much generic filler trash as possible was considered a good idea by the producers? Surely someone in quality control could have been like "Wow this really sucks, let's not do this".

It might be the closest to the manga we'll ever get, but it comes with no enthusiasm, ultimate laziness, and lack of any soul. All the characters have voices like a nail on a chalkboard too so,that's a thing XD

All the characters have voices like a nail on a chalkboard too so,that's a thing XD

I do agree there. Naoko Takeuchi may have been a good Usagi 20 years ago, but her voice hasn't aged well, should've been replaced in my opinion.

It's Toei, what do you expect from Toei? Usagi's voice, the CG transformation, the lack of enthusiasm, the low production value, the bad directing....everything is wrong with this anime, except the OP and ED theme which are kinda good. The 1 episode per two weeks also stabs the anime from behind. Maybe the budget for this anime is very low, who know.

But I will keep watching it.

All the characters have voices like a nail on a chalkboard too so,that's a thing XD

Ami voice is cute!

Edited by Char

I'm glad I'm not the only one really disappointed with this anime. I know some people that think it's great, but I just can't agree with them. :I

It might be the closest to the manga we'll ever get, but it comes with no enthusiasm, ultimate laziness, and lack of any soul. All the characters have voices like a nail on a chalkboard too so,that's a thing XD

This

CG transformation literally killed it for me.

my soul was crying

This too. I was really hoping for awesome transformation scenes. Maybe I'm just spoiled on Madoka Magica's transformations.

It's Toei, what do you expect from Toei? Usagi's voice, the CG transformation, the lack of enthusiasm, the low production value, the bad directing....everything is wrong with this anime, except the OP and ED theme which are kinda good. The 1 episode per two weeks also stabs the anime from behind. Maybe the budget for this anime is very low, who know.

But I will keep watching it.

Yeah, my expectations were pretty low, but they managed to disappoint me anyway. Maybe it'll get better. That's what I'll keep telling myself.

Other disappointments I had with this series is the background music and the heavy emphasis on the lips. Why, Toei?

Edited by Lann La Mirah

My god your reactions were hilarious xD

Also, I have to agree with almost everyone on this thread: this anime is very disappointing.

...but it comes with no enthusiasm, ultimate laziness, and lack of any soul. All the characters have voices like a nail on a chalkboard too so,that's a thing XD

Like most anime. Huehue.

It's funny how it's rated higher than some other better anime of this season for no reason other than being a "Sailor Moon" anime. I wonder when will the hype completely go away and people realize just how sad this anime is.

On the other note, if this anime was released some years ago like it was supposed to be may be it wont be this bad. Nowadays anime standard is pretty high.

It's funny how it's rated higher than some other better anime of this season for no reason other than being a "Sailor Moon" anime. I wonder when will the hype completely go away and people realize just how sad this anime is.

On the other note, if this anime was released some years ago like it was supposed to be may be it wont be this bad. Nowadays anime standard is pretty high.

Well hype that results in an overly inflated rating isn't something unique to Sailor Moon at all. According to MAL, its rating is beneath Aldnoah.Zero, Tokyo Ghoul, Zankyou no Terror, Akame Ga Kill, and SAO II. There are much worse examples of hype trains affecting ratings.

my sister hated it, and asked me why the hell sailor moon (the franchise) is such a popular shoujo when "there are masterpieces like madoka, princess tutu, penguindrum and utena".

for a moment I thought she became a hipster, but it seems that it truly blows.

my sister hated it, and asked me why the hell sailor moon (the franchise) is such a popular shoujo when "there are masterpieces like madoka, princess tutu, penguindrum and utena".

for a moment I thought she became a hipster, but it seems that it truly blows.

I guess Sailor Moon shows age =/= quality.

Production quality on Crystal is actually pretty good in terms of Toei remakes. At least it's reanimated. Dragon Ball Kai was just trace-overs that jarred with each other.

My video got 8 dislikes and then I found out it had been posted on an anime page for crystal, so lots of crystal lovers were disliking it to show their anger.

Yes, let me feel your hate!

P.S. been watching To Love Ru, and that series is way better than Sailor Moon. Can't stop laughing, it's just so good! Plus excellent fanservice.

Edited by Kloknihater

So, are you saying that Sailor Moon in general is bad, or that Crystal is a horrendous ruining it forever argh blargh?

For the record, I like it. It's almost a complete 1:1 adaptation of the manga so far, though it seems that there will be filler later on.

Where does that impression come from? I haven't read the manga, so is there like a part that wouldn't flow well without filler or?

It's been confirmed that the first season is 26 episodes but it covers only the first story arc, which is about 14 chapters. Even if they pull in some of the stuff from the side chapters (Casablanca Memory, Ami's First Love, etc.) they're still going to be pushing it. Though I guess they could also end up padding out some of the chapters into multiple episodes.

So, are you saying that Sailor Moon in general is bad, or that Crystal is a horrendous ruining it forever argh blargh?

For the record, I like it. It's almost a complete 1:1 adaptation of the manga so far, though it seems that there will be filler later on.

Crystal is my first experience with Sailor Moon because some people were talking about it and it ended up being very disappointing by itself as of now.

I think it doesn't have to be a 1:1 adaptation to be good (not that you said that), but Toei has a tendency of ruining their anime adaptations with the "changes" they make. In Saint Seiya they even added a whole arc (Asgard) because Kurumada was late with the manga, but it only created problems to the canon.

I haven't watched Sailor Moon in a long time, let alone this Crystal series. I really liked your video though, I can't stand her voice, the art style (those computer graphics look out of place and/or kind of lazy), and why the heck would they make Darien wear fancy clothes from the word go? Then again, if I remember right no one knew Serena was Sailor Moon in the original series despite the fact that her face is completely visible...

The original SM wasn't great, but it was memorable, had funny moments, and had a kickass soundtrack. Also, considering the decade, the art was pretty great too.

Crystal takes all the bad points of the original, increases them, and then removes all the good parts, like the homor and the soundtrack. Hell, even the art is lazy. Copypasted and flipped eyes? Derp faces? A show this popular and this long awaited shouldn't have a budget and timeslot devoted to C-class anime from the 00's.

There's also the part where most of y'all watched it in English.

Go watch the new redub when it comes out and see how much you "compare" how memorable the scripts are to the original, the redub, and this new Crystal.

I know a bunch of your points are vaild, but it's freaking easy to throw crap on something that is popular, getting a lot of hype, etc.

There's also the nostalgia factor.

Which is illustrated by Char.

People are biased with their childhood.

If it was your nostalgia not being lived up to, you'll be disappointed.

The manga loyalists are freaking happy.

And let's face it, they're making a hell of a lot more money with the people that get excited over it.

As long as it prints money, they couldn't give a damn about the people that think it "sucks".

You're better off throwing crap at something like Blazblue: Alter Memory or something.

Edited by shadowofchaos