The new Sailor Moon Crystal sucks

Klokinator

The original japanese songs and the english songs were wildly different, but both were still just as memorable.

How did you even get access to the Japanese ones before the explosion of the internet?

I doubt kids like us were browsing the internet for things like that.

I on the other hand was in Asia.

It really isn't a valid comparison if you're comparing media that was heavily edited, to the reboot here.

The edits that I remember that can compare to that was Pokemon and Cardcaptor Sakura.

Edited by shadowofchaos

Um... I torrented the full original series in both english and japanese... and watched it? I can say at the least that comparing the old japanese dub of original SM to the Crystal, the voices were better, the music was better, the dialogue was wittier, the characters weren't 100% 2 dimensional (They had at least a little depth and didn't do two long empty stares in the middle of episode 1, one of which was in my video) and the effects were actually better. Just because the graphics are "crisper" doesn't make them better. The character proportions are weird, the eyes are vacant, sometimes derpy, and in some cases the faces actually are derpy.

d76e32f039.png

ew just ew

The rest of what you're saying aside (I ain't even watched none of this, admittedly), what's dire about that face/screenshot in particular which wouldn't be dire about the faces in the old series, or in that 90's sort of stylization in general? It's noticeably 3D, which actually kinda surprises me- I might guess that in motion it could easily look kinda "budget," especially if they skimped on the animation frames, but you can tell she has parts of her face on the other side of her head from the one that's most visible from our perspective, as opposed to what you get with ye old "sidemouth/eyes" that you can easily find people complaining about.

Edited by Rehab

How can you judge characterization based on the first two episodes? I'm pretty damn sure that the 90's anime didn't have all that great characterization two episodes in.

Its a fucking biweekly release and it's already been delayed for god knows how long. Toei give less than two shits about this current project, they couldnt even be bothered to get the transformation sequences animated properly, which they STILL do for Precure (sure there are CG toys in it but w/e). Current Precure has like twice the budget of the current Sailor Moon series. Oh and the new composer simply cannot live up to the original soundtrack. :\

Honestly I can write the whole fucking show off just because they didn't back Furuya on Mamoru, he can still do the voice and NOBODY else can deliver Tuxedo's one liners are good as he does. But as far as more well founded complaints go, whilst Toei is famous for cutting corners, Crystal's visuals are a disaster on what should be moneyshots, even when using CG (Mercury's transformation makes me vomit). The original series for the most part is nowhere near as offputtingly badly presented until it gets to the SuperS arc, and then the QUALITY starts to become very prominent, and it gets worse and worse as the series lost steam.

There's also the part where most of y'all watched it in English.
Go watch the new redub when it comes out and see how much you "compare" how memorable the scripts are to the original, the redub, and this new Crystal.

Watched the entire thing back years ago in Japanese, rewatched the entire thing in Japanese in anticipation last year. Still mega dissapointed. That being said, I was always a fan of the TV series over the Manga, since the Manga frankly moves TOO fast and lacks the slifey segments that build on the characters a lot. Sure, Venus is way dumber in the anime than the manga, but Rei is soooo boring in the manga compared to TV. Thank god Ikuhara gave her something of a personality. The series peaks in S arc anyway and the manga totally misses the buildup for Uranus and Neptune because of it's light speed pacing. If I had a perfect world I'd rather have a mix and match of the highs and lows of both of the two (Jadeite is properly killed by Mars, but Nephrite still has his thing with Naru, etc), but since I can't I'd rather take the TV series.

EDIT: To be more clear, I've barely watched any of the original series in english at all. Maybe like some random episodes when I was younger, but definitely nothing substantial, I got the full experience when I was ploughing through anything Ikuhara was involved in and mahou shoujo in general.

Edited by Irysa

The Winry Rockbell comment on your first video.

Almost fell out of my chair laughing. xD

I put a ton of work into this episode. I actually cut out a tiny bit in the beginning about how the opening song mentions "girl power" (And I was gonna put in clips of the girls failing and being rescued by kamen in episodes 1 and 2) but I ran out of time and decided against it.

Here it is!

• 6 years later...

I have to agree on many fronts and contest those who are saying “it’s just because you watched the 90s one that you don’t like this one.” 

no. The 90s English dub while being incredibly inaccurate manga wise was so much more enjoyable to watch. The anime illustration had depth and detail without being obnoxiously brightly colourful. Everyone’s eyes on this new one are insane and look like they’re all tripping on psychedelics. The constant generic background music is chaotic and noisy, the voices are TERRIBLE—(I can still fondly hear the old rei yelling SEREEENAAA). The voice acting was way better in the original 90s English-dub. And yes, WHY THE LIPS? Everyone looks like they’re wearing immense amounts of clown makeup which is weird to be so noticeable on a cartoon. The scouts used to seem like boss ass women, now they all seem like doe-eyed morons.