Tablet vs. PS3 + Small TV monitor. Which would you buy?

WHICH ONE?!  

9 members have voted

1. 1. PS3 + TV Monitor vs. Tablet

• PS3 + TV Monitor
    • Tablet
    • Don't be a foolish college student and just save your money. You already have a laptop, smartphone, and enough gaming devices to last you for the next couple years. Don't be greedy. #firstworldproblems

I'm not even sure if I'm going to buy either, but I'm thinking about it.

On one hand, I think a tablet would be convenient since I'll be leaving for college in a month. iPads are cool and all, but screw limited storage + $100 for every memory upgrade. As good as the Nexus 7 seems to be, that's the main reason I don't want it either.

I was thinking of the Galaxy Tab S 10.5 (or 8.4 for a cheaper option) or the Galaxy Note 10.1.

On the other hand, I really want a PS3 and monitor. The college I'm going to actually has a student lounge with all the current-gen consoles, so as no one is using them I can probably play them. (They even have a Wii U, so I can play SSB4, maybe. :D) The only problem with that is that it's a public thing... I wouldn't mind having my own TV monitor and PS3, especially with all the games on the system. I'm mostly looking at the JRPGs, though. Tales games, Ni no Kuni (which I actually bought without a PS3, lol), Persona 5, and a list of others. Especially given the low PS3 prices, game prices, and HDTV prices, it may be better...

But I dunno... I'm just curious about what others would do in a similar situation.

A tablet? A PS3? Neither?

I would save up for something a bit bigger, but if you want something the PS3 is a better choice. The PS3 has many great games, but getting something else down the line may be a better idea.

Voted save money.

What would you use the tablet for since you already have a laptop?

A PS3 is nice but overall it'd be an even bigger investment than the tablet if you wanted to get a bunch of good games.

Also, learning to save money and not spend it on superfluous things is important if you don't want to be broke.

Aren't the current PS3 models unable to play PS2 games?

it's on psn

I was actually looking into Nocturne today and was disappointed that I couldn't play it.

HOW DID YOU KNOW?!

But specs-wise, it probably can. c:

I'M STALKING YOU

I actually didn't know. I'm just playing it right now lol

Voted save money.

What would you use the tablet for since you already have a laptop?

A PS3 is nice but overall it'd be an even bigger investment than the tablet if you wanted to get a bunch of good games.

Also, learning to save money and not spend it on superfluous things is important if you don't want to be broke.

Reasons why I want a tablet:

1) It's easier to carry around campus than a laptop while offering many of the stuff I need on-the-go.

2) It's easier to use in bed.

3) It offers a convenient media usage on a large screen without the need to pull out my laptop. Which I usually don't have on-the-go, in the first place.

Reasons why I'm against a tablet:

1) I'm wary about spending a $500 on something I don't absolutely need.

2) I have a laptop for inside usage, and a smartphone for outside usage. The smartphone has a smaller screen, but it is by no means terrible. Perfectly usable.

3) I could use the money to buy a PS3 and TV monitor/save it for some other more important things.

Reasons why I want a PS3 + TV Monitor:

1) SO. MANY. GAMES. (Especially now that its life is nearing the end of its productive years.)

2) It can function as a DVD player and such. Something my laptop doesn't have.

3) I can use the monitor for more then just my PS3. Having a larger screen for just computer usage could be convenient. And 1080p Sora no Kiseki will be glorious.

Reasons why I'm against buying a PS3:

1) Again, wary about spending large amounts of money.

2) Less time, as well. Especially now that I'm starting college, I really don't want to go overboard with video games. And to be quite honest, I have more than plenty of games and anime to watch in my free time. I still have games from last year that I haven't finished, and the fact that SSB4, Sora no Kiseki, ORAS, are going to come out doesn't help much either. I have enough games to last me through this year and the next, really. Keeping up with the current games is just so nice, though.

3) My college campus has consoles, anyway. I mean, it's definitely not as convenient as a personal console and TV, but it's definitely cheaper. And who knows, maybe my roommate might have a monitor and console I could borrow. Probably not, but it's a possibility.

I'M STALKING YOU

I actually didn't know. I'm just playing it right now lol

NOOOO, STOP STALKING ME.

I heard it's a really good (and hard) SMT game.

Tablets can be useful for students who need to read a lot of academic papers (either because they're involved in research, or because they're humanities majors). Aside from that, the perks they have over laptops aren't so exciting. I don't know if you'll find tablets useful at this stage of your academic career, though they obviously may help later on.

Buying an extra monitor can be nice not only for gaming, but also for having a nice dual-screen setup for doing work on your laptop (speaking of laptops, consider buying a hybrid SSD). I would avoid the PS3 since, like you said, you already have enough games with which to distract yourself. It's better to prioritize friends and studying during your first term, anyway.

if you own:

---a computer (cmp), tablets aren't worth it.

---cmp + laptop (lpt), tablets aren't worth it.

---cmp + lpt + smartphone (sph), tablets really aren't worth it.

---lpt + sph, tablets aren't worth it.

---sph, tablet could be worth it

---none of the above, tablet is probably worth it, depending on what you wish to do with a computing device.

if you own other gaming devices and are currently attending college, i would say no go for the ps3. the tv might be worth it.

addendum: if you're the "computer note-taking" type, the utility of the tablet goes up, if you don't like using a laptop. likewise, as miikaya said, if you can focus whilst reading digital academic journals and research papers, the usefulness of the tablet does rise ever so slightly. honestly, though, if you own a laptop i can almost guarantee you won't use the tablet much. 4/5 people i know who own both almost exclusively use their laptops.

Edited by Phoenix Wright