Various Fire Emblem lords

I have never played FE 2 but I have a hard time believing Alm is better than RD Ike. In the first couple of chapters on hard mode Ike starts off with just enough speed to double most enemies and he has high strength and a personal weapon that is stronger than a silver sword. If that wasn't enough he has some of the best concrete durability on the team and earth affinity plus leadership stars means he can get hax avoid. Things get even more ridiculous if he gets transfers. He has a good chance of getting strength, skill, speed, and defense transfers which means he starts off with capped skill, now has the best concrete durability on the team, and is the second fastest member of his team. He can actually one round the boss in the prologue.

Edited by lazydoggamer

ike doesn't even compare to sigurd (or a properly-built Seliph, for that matter)

like not even close

sigurd is just as overwhelming as ike is, plus he has a horse, plus his silver sword (or his steel sword if you choose to do that) will eventually hit 50+skill% crit, plus he gets a weapon that gives +10 speed and +15 res right when he begins to fall off due to caps

celice is equally ridiculous because he starts with said ridiculous 50 crit silver sword

also let it be said that fe10 ike didn't even make top 10 in the ranking of "top 30 FE units of all time" (admittedly outdated) whereas seliph did and sigurd was #1

Edited by CT075

If you played Gaiden you'd start believing rather quickly because Alm is far and away the best combat unit in his half of FE2 and utility units (read: warp) would be pretty bad without him. Ike at least has pretty fierce competition in the form of Haar for almost all maps they're on- Alm's closest combat comparison is probably Cliff or Catria. Both are significantly worse as fighters and Catria shares one map with him (the last one), where they are both amazing.

To put things into perspective, both Alm and Celica have a level 1 Dread Fighter boss, Alm's being about 2 maps after Celica's if I remember right. Their stats are identical. Geyse, the boss on Celica's route, is probably the hardest enemy in the game and survives several rounds with ease. The unnamed Dread Fighter on Alm's route is barely worth talking about because Alm can kill him in one or two rounds, no problem.

I'm don't even know if I would put FE10 Ike in the top 5 lords. Sigurd, Alm, FE1 Marth and Seliph are all in a level of their own, and depending on if you're counting either Avatar they're way better than him too.

To actually answer the question I would rank the units mentioned, in order of best to worst: Alm, Seliph, FE1 Marth, Chrom, FE9 Ike, Hector, FE12 Marth.

Edited by Reinfleche

I guess I'll have to take your guys' words for it since I haven't actually played those games. And I also just realized I never answered the OP's question.

Of the games I've played on your list I'd say Ike> Hector> Chrom if Hector mode and Hector> Ike> Chrom if Eliwood mode.

i'm surprised alm isn't there at all

That's because the 10 people on the Internet that have played Gaiden are all in this thread.

I've never ever heard Alm praised as one of the strongest lords in the series until today.

That's because the 10 people on the Internet that have played Gaiden are all in this thread.

I've never ever heard Alm praised as one of the strongest lords in the series until today.

While that's probably true Mekkah listed other Fe2 characters there.

he good okay

While that's probably true Mekkah listed other Fe2 characters there.

he good okay

He did? I just went through the entire list to find out who Mekkah thinks is awesome enough to outdo Alm and I didn't notice a single FE2 character.

Edited by BrightBow

He did? I just went through the entire list to find out who Mekkah thinks is awesome enough to outdo Alm and I didn't notice a single FE2 character.

I guess I must have been thinking of something else because I specifically do recall Catria from FE2 being listed somewhere. I dunno. Either that or I'm crazy. Edited by Tryhard

I guess I must have been thinking of something else because I specifically do recall Catria from FE2 being listed somewhere. I dunno.

If it's her then I guess I really could have easily missed her in the hurry because I would assume he meant the FE12 version.

Edited by BrightBow

i vaguely remember him saying that he wasn't gonna include fe2 because he couldn't judge objectively (too different)

Alright.

If it's her then I guess I really could have easily missed her in the hurry because I would assume he meant the FE12 version.

Nah, it would've been some other list. I just can't remember, I guess.

IMO I'd say Alm, Seliph, FE9 Ike, Chrom, Hector, FE12 Marth.

haven't played FE1

Edited by Tryhard

#1. Seliph (FE4 2nd Gen) - 10/10

#2. Marth (FE1) - 9/10

#3. Alm (FE2) - 9/10

#4. Marth (FE12) - 8/10

#5. Chrom (FE13) - 8/10

#6. Ike (FE9) - 8/10

#7. Hector (FE7) - 7/10

As for who's better than Alm, I would say that Claire outclasses him completely after promotion, which happens generally in Chapter 3. Perfect movement + offense of 15 Str, 11 Spd in Lv12/1 + durability of 40 HP, 12 Def in Lv12/1 + innate effectivity x3 against monsters is sick. I would say it is benefitial to actually slap everything on her due to map objectives being route chapters.

There's also Catria, but I can't compare them adequately due to unshared availability.

Edited by Xator Nova

As for who's better than Alm, I would say that Claire outclasses him completely after promotion, which happens generally in Chapter 3. Perfect movement + offense of 15 Str, 11 Spd in Lv12/1 + durability of 40 HP, 12 Def in Lv12/1 + innate effectivity x3 against monsters is sick. I would say it is benefitial to actually slap everything on her due to map objectives being route chapters.

There's also Catria, but I can't compare them adequately due to unshared availability.

You know, I'm not usually one to argue, but I don't think Claire is anywhere on the level of Alm. While she does have the movement (like Catria, who could perhaps be compared) it's not like it is necessary with Silk being able to warp Alm anyway. And Alm usually has better stats than that in general and stays consistently one of (if not the) best unit on his side, Claire pretty much being fairly underwhelming before she promotes, and even then 11 speed is not that good. It even gets her doubled by some enemies in Chapter 3, as I recall. Plus Alm does get the fairly baller Royal Sword at the start of Chapter 3.

The x3 damage against monsters is nice (but I think that there's more on Celica's route), but I don't see Claire being better than Alm. And if so, it would mainly be because of Falcon Knights being good in FE2, not Claire.

Edited by Tryhard

You know, I'm not usually one to argue, but I don't think Claire is anywhere on the level of Alm. While she does have the movement (like Catria, who could perhaps be compared) it's not like it is necessary with Silk being able to warp Alm anyway. And Alm usually has better stats than that in general and stays consistently one of (if not the) best unit on his side, Claire pretty much being fairly underwhelming before she promotes, and even then 11 speed is not that good. It even gets her doubled by some enemies in Chapter 3, as I recall. Plus Alm does get the fairly baller Royal Sword at the start of Chapter 3.

The x3 damage against monsters is nice (but I think that there's more on Celica's route), but I don't see Claire being better than Alm. And if so, it would mainly be because of Falcon Knights being good in FE2, not Claire.

Silk getting to Lv7 in order to learn Warp isn't plausible in efficiency because Nosferatu blows (0 Mt, 50% Accuracy), EXP gain in FE2 is poor, and she doesn't even gain EXP when healing.

There are maps that pretty much require a flier to be cleared fast, and Claire is your only option. The final map of Chapter 1 comes to mind as the best example, because Claire is the only unit that can traverse through the river and walls and dispose of the archers.

If you seriously think that 11 Speed gets Claire doubled, Alm is doubled forever because he reaches that Speed in Lv18 on average.

Edited by Xator Nova

Silk getting to Lv7 in order to learn Warp isn't plausible in efficiency because Nosferatu blows (0 Mt, 50% Accuracy), EXP gain in FE2 is poor, and she doesn't even gain EXP when healing.

There are maps that pretty much require a flier to be cleared fast, and Claire is your only option. The final map of Chapter 1 comes to mind as the best example, because Claire is the only unit that can traverse through the river and walls and dispose of the archers.

If you seriously think that 11 Speed gets Claire doubled, Alm is doubled forever because he reaches that Speed in Lv18 on average.

Forgive me for never trying, but does Claire really have a chance to promote early in chapter 3 from an efficiency standpoint? As far as I know, her exp gain is just as bad as Silk's, plus she needs to get to level 12 to promote, and her durability is terrible before she promotes with 20 hp/4 def base. I can see her being useful in the last map of Chapter 1 and other places, but I still don't see her being as useful as Alm, especially considering that Silk is going to reach level 7 eventually for warp (even if it is also in chapter 3). Those archers in question do have 12 strength though, so I imagine that she had to dodge quite a few hits (helped by their pathetic 1 skill, I'd imagine), but if anything hits her before her promotion it is going to hurt, considering she only has a 20% hp and 10% defense growth too, so it's unlikely she will gain much in those.

Alm thankfully usually has much better defense than Claire (and strength, less so, but the Royal Sword helps) to actually tank hits if he gets doubled and deal a good deal of damage back - something that is rectified by Claire with her getting 12 defense on promo, and Alm only really have a 20% better defense growth on her, so at least I have to give that. By the time his promotion rolls around, he has at least 14 speed to work with and then probably more by endgame.

(I wasn't sure about the 11 speed getting doubled - it will for mercenaries at least, they have 12, but I don't think there is any on Alm's chapter 3.)

anyway yeah

Edited by Tryhard