What mechanic introduced in Awakening should be a mainstay for the rest of the series?

Huh? Galeforce isn't like Canto. Canto enables a unit to move again after they attack. Galeforce enables a unit to attack again after they kill a unit. I see no issue. If anything, these two would be an amazing combination.

A unit with both can do this sequence:

1. Move once and kill a unit

2. Canto triggers, unit moves somewhere else

3. When movement is done, Galeforce triggers and the unit repeats the first two steps.

What I meant was that, whereas canto allows you to move after you've hurt/killed something, GF allows you to take a whole other turn after killing something. I personally think that one of the reasons why canto didn't return in Awakening is that GF is supposed to act as a kind of upgraded canto.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What I meant was that, whereas canto allows you to move after you've hurt/killed something, GF allows you to take a whole other turn after killing something. I personally think that one of the reasons why canto didn't return in Awakening is that GF is supposed to act as a kind of upgraded canto.

Oh, I see now. My bad for misunderstanding.

lol, it feels awkward to talk to you because the lord character of my fanfiction is named Azura. I feel like I'm talking to my own character. XD

Edited by Anacybele

Oh, I see now. My bad for misunderstanding.

lol, it feels awkward to talk to you because the lord character of my fanfiction is named Azura. I feel like I'm talking to my own character. XD

Haha, no problem <3

I know that, I noticed ^^ I personally find it confusing when other people share my IRL name, it's so uncommon where I live that it somehow feels very personal for me xD

I wouldn't say Canto is broken, Canto isn't half of what Gale Force is.

I agree. Galeforce is ridiculous compared to Canto. Canto is not a full turn whereas Galeforce is. Canto is just a free action after a unit's turn. Galeforce kind of negates Canto in Awakening obviously. But Canto by itself is no where near as broken as Galeforce.

I want War Clerics/Monks to continue being in the series. I like Dancers with Swords too. I dont mind PairUp but i wont miss it either. What i want is the Support system (how its calculated and how it works) to return. That way, we dont have like 80 turns per Support like in the GBA games (and RD's supports sucked).

Haha, no problem <3

I know that, I noticed ^^ I personally find it confusing when other people share my IRL name, it's so uncommon where I live that it somehow feels very personal for me xD

Funny thing is, you're not the only user here that shares their username with one of my fanfic characters... lol

I wouldn't mind seeing War Clerics/War Monks and sword Dancers again. But I liked Valkyries being able to wield swords and Falcon Knights being able to wield swords. I want that to come back.

Well here's my rebuttal.

Awakening ceased to be a tactical game in my eyes when I picked up on a few things:

there are certain combinations of skills that will be unbeatable, andcompletely Random (IE Lunatic+- Prologue Vantage+ Luna+ mage) in which case you can not win, and therefore must hit the slot machine again for better RNG.

The point is not to move as a unit and heal the critically wounded after every turn like the rest of the series as much as being more about search and destroy before you kill the boss, ESPECIALLY IN LATER CHAPTERS! In Fact, later in the game you don't really need healers anymore except for warping because most people have Sol, LifeTaker, etc. and healers are rendered obsolete!

There is a class that is Clearly outright SUPERIOR to others. Sorc has: access to magic (OP in this game) access to DARK magic (Aversa's night, the tome that's a brave spell... I forgot it.) Access to the only long distance attack in the game (Mire). and has unreal defensive stats. Literaly making them outright SUPERIOR to every other Mage mage class in the game, and outclassing some tank units.

Low HP units can literally blip out of exisence by having the Pairup partner switch with them.

Sorry... I just got off there.

I can't speak for others, but I find Sorc's appearance sufficient to act as an aesthetic nerf. Sure, they're strong, but they're also hideous and I'm not going to use them if there's another way. It's a very strange kind of balance, but I like it.

That Mage is only a hassle if you get an unlucky crit or don't use Chrom properly (if he draws the Mercs and Barbs far enough away, Avatar can back out of the Mage's range and use two Vulneraries instead of one before the Mage catches up). It's annoying if it has both Mag+2 and Luna+, but still beatable.

I would like Pair Up to exist in FE4. It's unfair some of the characters needing to traverse an entire continent on foot. But for all other games, I find Rescue much more strategically appealing. Pair Up has the cool factor but the opportunity cost of it is extremely skewed.

Also, Shoving should definitely come back. It was goofy and extremely useful. Also canto and weapon weight. Awakening is like the second FE6.

WHY would anyone want weapon weight back?! Might as well call the series "Don't Use Axes Or Dark Magic" then. 8U I hated weapon weight, good riddance to a stupid mechanic. Fuck realism in a game where you can ride a PEGASUS and a DRAGON to battle.

I love Pair Up, though I do admit it could us some kind of tweaking.

WHY would anyone want weapon weight back?! Might as well call the series "Don't Use Axes Or Dark Magic" then. 8U I hated weapon weight, good riddance to a stupid mechanic. Fuck realism in a game where you can ride a PEGASUS and a DRAGON to battle.

Because it forces the player to use resources they usually wouldn't use.

In FE:A most weapons become completely useless when you find the strongest of the bunch (Fire Magic comes to mind).

Because it forces the player to use resources they usually wouldn't use.

In FE:A most weapons become completely useless when you find the strongest of the bunch (Fire Magic comes to mind).

It also forced people to give up on the units they specifically trained in favor of higher CON crutch units like Pent and Marcus.

I have to agree with CrimeanRoyalKnight. Weapon weight also made scenarios like Mia or Mist wielding Alondite less weird. Although even then I still found Mist being able to use it awkward. xP

I'd like weapon weight back, as long as it's well balanced. Tomes weighed way too much in Sacred Stones, in my opinion. Fenrir had a weight of EIGHTEEN. It makes dark mages nearly useless, and higher power anima tomes were pretty bad too. Lances were also a bit weighty, when you factor in the low con of pegasus knights.

On the other hand, weapon weight only mattered to mages after the early game in Radiant Dawn, so that's not necessarily ideal either. I still would like it back if they could balance it.

Just make weapon weight only a thing on actual weapons, not tomes. Or at least make it so only the stuff like Celica's Gale, Nosferatu, and legendary tomes have weights higher than 1 or 2.

That said, I don't entirely miss weapon weight. It was a nice little balancing aspect that made you consider your weapons more closely, but it was also rather annoying for no real purpose.

I'd like Capturing and Fatigue to return because the player needs to be trolled more.

You left a healer in the middle of the battlefield? TOUGH SHIT, ENEMY CAPTURES WITHOUT ISSUE AND ROBS INVENTORY.

Hell, have healing staves have a chance of missing as well.

I'm so mean.

I... don't recall either of those mechanics. Which games were they in?

FE5 Edited by Rollertoaster

Note that lower con chars usually have the highest speed growths or base speed....it balances out. Weapon weight using str as a factor is somewhat fundamentally flawed though since typically any decent physical unit grows out of that problem, whilst it just penalises magic users forever.

Having speed = AS is a wonderful thing though for strategising, although I do personally like the concept of weapon balance with weight/con. But having to check what enemy AS is with and without particular equipped weapons is a huge pain in the ass if you're trying to make sure who doubles what. It would be nice if they just displayed "AS" as a thing somewhere on the stat page, like where the total Atk is shown with your Weapon + Str/Mag + Rank/Support bonus etc.

Edited by Irysa

Oh, it balances out?

My Pegasus Knight with 4 Str and a 6 mt Lance has 8 more Spd than my Fighter with 12 Str and a 15 mt axe... And the same amount after factoring in weapon weight. I wonder which one will do better? It would balance out, except those low con characters also typically have low non-Spd stats to make up for their high Spd, and wind up being worse all around once their Spd is removed.

They may grow out of it (eventually, especially in Sacred Stones), but before they do they have no redeeming stats (except Mov/flight utility) and are more of a pain to train than Donnel in Lunatic.

I'm a fan of weapon weight but I am not a fan of Con.

I think the oldest system was in theory the best one. It's just that they never put much thought into the weight of weapons. Axes lowering agility by 18 points and Swords only 3 is of course completely insane.

But Tear Ring Saga used the system a lot more effectively. Weight factors hugely into the advantages and disadvantages of a weapon.

Like Iron Bows are about as cheap and common as Crossbows but are usually better because of the massive weight difference between them. However, the increased accuracy and powers of Crossbows usually allows them to reliably take down certain fragile yet dodgy fliers in a single shot. Especially those annoying harpies. Naturally they would also be better if archers are so fast that they double attack anyway.

Another bow, the extremely heavy Gatling Bow, which allows 4 shots in a row, pretty much turns anybody into a glass cannon since they can be double attacked by just about any weapon. But hey, 4 attacks before the enemy can counter.

Other times you may need heavy weapons simply to be able to penetrate the enemy's defence in the first place. Or very light weapons to maximize your avoid against devastatingly powerful but hilariously inaccurate siege weapons.

You never saw stuff like that in Fire Emblem games. At least I can't think of a situation where the games would ever offer you something as simple as increased accuracy in exchange for attack speed. Accuracy always seems to be somewhat proportional to weight. Well, I guess Brave weapons averted this in Thracia but just like the Gae Bolg they were more designed as Uber weapons anyway.

But I don't really see a benefit in adding Con. It just makes things unnecessary complicated. Maybe you could add a skill that reduces speed penalties or something.

Edited by BrightBow