Will there be a sequel to Fire Emblem : Awakening ?

Awakening is the Final Fantasy 13 of the series. I beet we'll be getting For Emblem Awakening 2 Lucina Returns or some shit.

Please no.

PLEASE no.

And I'm like one of the most well known and vocal Awakening fans.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Awakening seems to be pretty much all wrapped up -- can't really add much more to the storyline. Besides, extending the storyline when it is already negatively criticized by players and fans of the game can be suicidal.

I doubt it will be a direct sequel, but the gameplay will likely be heavily inspired by Awakening, sadly. I mean, why wouldn't it? The game saved the series, and introduced many new players as well.

Hopefully not but probably yes.

Awakening is the Final Fantasy 13 of the series. I beet we'll be getting For Emblem Awakening 2 Lucina Returns or some shit.

My thoughts exactly. I'm willing to bet money that Lucina will be the next lord because they gotta milk her for what she's worth. Lol at Lucina Returns.

I think the only way to handle a sequel of Awakening, if one had to exist, is to age the characters in the way FE7 was a prequel to FE6. As in, stay in the main timeline and age the characters by a decade and a half or two. Follow the story of this timeline's Lucina, not the time traveler, but the one who's now grown up and facing her own challenge. Maybe Valm is attacking? Or maybe Plegia's discontent has been rising? Or maybe civil war is stirring up in Ferox? There's still a lot of political potential in the story and a lot can happen in 15-20 years.

Grima doesn't even need to be a plot point in this story. In FE9, the final boss was Ashnard, a powerful final boss but still a human. While the "dark god" was mentioned, it wasn't until FE10 that Ashera and Yune actually became relevant to the plot. So a story with Lucina wouldn't even need a god or a dragon to be the final boss.

As for pairings and stuff relating to that, the children could either be given their mothers' default hair colors with fathers mentioned in the most generic ways (they already mention the fathers in the most generic ways), or maybe there could be some data transfer from FE13 to determine children's parentage. Chrom doesn't even have to be dead, either. Maybe he took a grievous injury at some point that prevents him from fighting, but he's still present as an advisor figure? Or maybe he could be in another part of the world when Lucina's story opens, taking care of some other problem and only regroups with Lucina later on?

Like … I think there are SOME potentials for a sequel to FE13, but I hope it doesn't get a sequel because there are so many ways to screw it up.

I don't want a sequel, but I think it's very likely. Aren't the only games without a direct sequel/prequel/interquel (?) 2 and 8? It would really surprise me if they went against the odds and didn't capitalize on the most commercially successful entry in the series with at least one related follow-up. It's true that the story was resolved in Awakening but I don't think that would stop them. If they went the sequel route, I agree with Sangyul that they'd probably go the 6/7 route and have a mostly unrelated plot with only a few cameos (with the kids, they might just leave out Morgan and any of Lucina's potential siblings to avoid shippers' rage).

The idea of a prequel is interesting too I suppose. Then Chrom's father can join Chrom's daughter and Chrom's best friend on the SSB5 roster.

Sequel? Hopefully not.

Sound end.

Remake FE4 because they could bounce almost all of the mechanics from Awakening into that without ****ing things up, even if MU+FE4 Mixes worse than Nuns and Warfare.

Throw a tangent game focusing on Priam, because lord knows he needs it.

Prequel? As long as it has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO WITH CHROM'S FATHER, sure go for it.

I know there usually have been sequels, but I'd be surprised. I could see another game in Awakening's universe, but if they went with the same characters they'd have to be really careful to avoid canonizing any pairings.

I'm seeing either a prequel (FE 7), a game set in the distant future (in Ylisse) or an entirely new universe altogether. FE5 style midquel (?) wouldn't really work for Awakening story, and a direct sequel would run into hairy situations with pairings. And by hairy situations, I mean how the children's hair colors are affected by which father they have. Unintentional pun, I promise.

I mean, they could just say the hell with it and set some pairings in stone, but I doubt it.

Sequel? Hopefully not.

Sound end.

Remake FE4 because they could bounce almost all of the mechanics from Awakening into that without ****ing things up, even if MU+FE4 Mixes worse than Nuns and Warfare.

Throw a tangent game focusing on Priam, because lord knows he needs it.

Prequel? As long as it has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO WITH CHROM'S FATHER, sure go for it.

Lol a prequel would so totally be about Chrom's dad

Lol a prequel would so totally be about Chrom's dad

A direct one, likely, which'd suck. Because I'm 155% content with him being the incompetent moron in the back that he is.

[How the hell did he actually lose to axeland?]

But they could do tangents.

[is heavily in favor of Priam game, because Priam needs more explanation, unlike Chrom's father.]

A direct one, likely, which'd suck. Because I'm 155% content with him being the incompetent moron in the back that he is.

[How the hell did he actually lose to axeland?]

Probably the same way good guys in FE always lose: by being betrayed.

I don't think an actual sequel. Instead, I want a game to take place in the Bad Future that Lucina and Co. came from.

Too many people focus on how Awakening had bad world building and don't want a sequel to take place in the same world because of that without thinking that a sequel could add world building.

Too many people focus on how Awakening had bad world building and don't want a sequel to take place in the same world because of that without thinking that a sequel could add world building.

Problem for me is that 1, neither the world nor the charaters would entice me to buy FE14 on Ylisse and 2, I'm not sure I would trust them to do better this time. I hate buying games that I don't like (already happened with FE11 and ugh). A new world completely would probably also be better because they don't have to try to comply with lore from the older games. With Ylisse they pretty much showed that they can't really do that (or it was a blooper, but idk, idk).

New everything, pls.

I don't think an actual sequel. Instead, I want a game to take place in the Bad Future that Lucina and Co. came from.

I doubt IS would base an entire game on the bad future considering we already got the future past dlc

I like the idea several other people are pitching on here: a remake of the Jugdral series or the Elibe series. Either one would offer plenty of interesting potential for skill inheritance. Though I've never played the Jugdral series games, I've heard that they're among the best, especially considering the darker story and intense gameplay. I have played FE6 and FE7 though, and I think after Awakening they may be my favorite in the overall franchise. As one game, they could definitely turn FE7 into Part One and FE6 into Part Two. A few things I think they should change if they ever did do remake:

• Change the art style to the one used in Awakening.
  • Increase main character ages in FE6. (Roy being only 15? Nah, how bout at least 19, like pre-Chapter 12 Chrom?)
  • Make support conversations more in-depth and allow each character to pair off with any member of the opposite sex to produce the FE6 children. I'd be totally game for same-sex romantic relationships in a Fire Emblem game, as would plenty of other fans, but I don't think Nintendo feels comfortable doing that yet (which is a real shame).
  • Alter gameplay towards many of the aesthetic changes that have been made since the original FE6 and FE7.

It would make a damn cool game, just so long as they avoided some of the follies of FE11 (which, to be fair, I found fun, but definitely the weakest of the FE games I've played).

If they decide against a remake for the next game, I think they should also decide against a sequel to Awakening. Another world with all-new characters would be a better idea in my opinion. We could use a game without royalty as the main Lord(s) anyway.

• Change the art style to the one used in Awakening.

I really hope you mean the art style and not the art direction, cause I thought that was bad in awakening, I could critisize and nitpisk the art to death in how many ways it doesen't make sense, while other fire emblems had this problem, it's more prelevant in awakening, and the thing that a lot of the art doesen't make sense for the character.

• Increase main character ages in FE6. (Roy being only 15? Nah, how bout at least 19, like pre-Chapter 12 Chrom?)

I don't really see the point of this, it's an allready written story, and while it does need some improvement, Roys age wouldn't be at the top of my list.

• Alter gameplay towards many of the aesthetic changes that have been made since the original FE6 and FE7.

I don't really get what you mean with this.

On topic, I really hope it's not a sequel to Awakening, the world it it was so bland, and the refrences to previous fire emblems, like Valms different areas, they just got wrong, so I don't really trust them right now to get the lore right from previous games, so I would rather just have a brand new world and new story to tell.

Or if I would have to choose a game to remake, I would say Gaiden.

I love love loooooove the art STYLE in Awakening but the direction is terrible. Dat armor.

Regardless, Elibe had a great art style so there is no need to change it.

If they decide against a remake for the next game, I think they should also decide against a sequel to Awakening. Another world with all-new characters would be a better idea in my opinion. We could use a game without royalty as the main Lord(s) anyway.

If you're gonna change the script, then instead of changing Roy's age, change the writing so that it uses his age as a development tool. Roy is very scared of what is happening and that although he's very intelligent, he's still a child and that freaks him out. Maybe include a tidbit about maybe Marcus or someone offering up to head the army, but ultimately deciding giving Roy some positive public recognition is a good thing for Pherae because maybe the public does not approve very much of the Eliwood family rule, so they use him as a figurehead. If using Mark, maybe make Mark the tactician that works behind the scenes for Roy since he's not experienced enough yet to lead an army. Put a scene where the army is struggling to keep morale because they hate the fact that they're being led around by a child because they don't know taht he's not really calling the shots yet. Develop Eliwood too by putting in a scene with him frustrated that his son has to go off to lead an army as a teenager while being overcome with sadness over what happened to Hector. I might have stated this in another thread but I think instead of changing things, they should use those things to make the story better written. Because after Awakening, I think we need to get back to well written stories again. Not to say it wouldn't be good with older Roy. I just like to see them use what they already have.

I also advise against a remake so soon, we just had 2.

I don't want a sequel, but I think it's very likely. Aren't the only games without a direct sequel/prequel/interquel (?) 2 and 8?

Depends on if you count 2 as part of the Archanean story but that's a whole other conversation.

I really hope you mean the art style and not the art direction, cause I thought that was bad in awakening, I could critisize and nitpisk the art to death in how many ways it doesen't make sense, while other fire emblems had this problem, it's more prelevant in awakening, and the thing that a lot of the art doesen't make sense for the character.

I mean the style. Like how the characters are drawn. I wasn't convinced when I first saw screenshots way back in 2012, but it won me over in spades once the game came to the US. Some of the costumes are silly-looking (some of the knights, the Dark Knight class, etc.), among other things, so I can see the point about the art direction. Even so, it's a matter of personal preference anyway.

I don't really see the point of this, it's an allready written story, and while it does need some improvement, Roys age wouldn't be at the top of my list.

I'd call this another personal preference thing. I'm just kinda tired of the main characters in Fire Emblem being so dang young.

I don't really get what you mean with this.

As an example: how Path of Radiance, Radiant Dawn, and Awakening all changed the character battle models depending on the weapon they were using. Especially in Awakening, where you could use ridiculous weapons like logs and ladles, which really added to the fun.

Roy's character doesn't need any sort of alteration. He definitely should not be a scared little kid. He starts the game as an intelligent and smart kid. Eluwood raised him well. This is why he's put in charge of the Lycian army and later, the Etrurian Army. It doesn't make sense if he's still undergoing character development to become a capable leader. He already is one. There is still room for character detriment but I object to detailing him and then developing him again to exactly how he was at the stay off the game in the original.

There really shouldn't. Be a lucina sequel as it .... Well my only reason would be I wouldn't. Like it . Yes my answer is a bit cleshe.

I just want to stay far far away from anything awakening-y:no grinding,no fanservice dlc, no stupid time travel(seriously what the hell) no gimmicky characters,no dating sim-esque supports,and no avatar ever again please.

Some really good suggestions TeamFalchion! :)

Regarding the same sex marriages though... I have a feeling it would be difficult to pull off in such a medieval setting if there are children. Would they all be adopted? Would people be okay with this? It's tricky, so I can excuse Nintendo for this in a series like Fire Emblem.

But not coding it for a game like Tomodachi Life where anything and everything is supposed to happen, it's just unacceptable.

Edited by Red Falcon