Hyrule Warriors

kingddd

For reference for anyone who hasn't played a Dynasty Warriors game, they added Zhang Chunhua, whose only Romance of the Three Kingdoms note was that she was married to Sima Yi, and she killed a maid in order to cover up for him. As far as I know, that's about it. Koei pretty much added her for two reasons, them being that she was female and as you could expect Dynasty Warriors has a lack of such, and two that she's Sima Yi's wife. Not particularly the best reasons.

They have added fictional characters both male and female on Shu's side. Guan Suo, Guan Yinping, Bao Sanniang, Xingcai, and have distorted the story a lot, characters either not doing things as they should in the novel or just omitting important events. Other characters they have added are unimportant (Lu Lingqi, for example, is Lu Bu's daughter who has almost nothing written about her) and some characters that are not important have still not been added in the series. Cheng Pu and Lu Kang have still not been added, despite them both being some of the most important late Wu generals and there being pretty much no other characters that fill that role.

It has never really mattered about fighting style. Most of the female characters in the Dynasty Warriors game are not warriors aside from a few, but Koei pretty much gave them any weapon they could in order to look 'cool' from their perspective. It's a spectacle hack 'n slash, really. To give examples, Zhenji currently uses a flute as a weapon, Cai Wenji uses a harp, Xiaoqiao uses a fan, Bao Sanniang uses a weird metal spinner thing, Wang Yuanji uses throwing knifes etc. As far as I know, none of them actually took part in battles in the novel or historically, aside for Wang Yi of Wei and Zhurong.

I'm also not sure that they would even care about taking a lot from one specific Zelda game, considering they didn't really care when Shu's roster was bloated compared to the other factions. If they want to take all characters from Ocarina of Time/Twilight Princess/Skyward Sword, I think they are going to. Koei don't have a problem with an unbalanced roster. I don't think "representation" of a specific Zelda game comes into it.

I do think it's rather funny that Koei has so many girls in this game so far, as usually they are adding girls into Dynasty Warriors to try and get the male:female ratio back up, or something. That said, Koei usually do well enough in order to include the most important characters - in the One Piece Warriors game, they pretty much made the Straw Hat Pirates playable and that was good enough. In Dynasty Warriors, they've had the most important characters since the start like Liu Bei, Cao Cao and Sun Jian/Sun Quan, even if they do pass up on the more important side characters. Because of that, I wouldn't really be surprised if Tingle is in the game. Considering they also love him in Japan. For some reason.

I mean you can already kind of see it through picks like Cia (OC, lol team ninja), Agitha and Lana. (yes, I know Lana is likely the incarnation of Lanayru, but for most purposes she's simply an OC that is trying to look like Hatsune Miku or some shit) Essentially, Koei just tend to make flashy hack 'n slash games, and they simply add the characters they think would be/look the coolest in their perspective. They're just dumb little flashy games. I like them like that.

I'm actually surprised that it doesn't, considered I've heard things to suggest the opposite. I guess what I heard was just local multiplayer.

Edited by Tryhard

• Replies 784
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's the human incarnations of Din and Farore who might make it in (Lana is most likely Lanayru). They could end up using the Minish Cap designs. But the reason why Minish Cap and Four Swords doesn't get touched upon too often by Nintendo is likely because Capcom made them under Nintendo's license. So while the games are considered canon, they aren't 1st party games.

Personally, I want to see Rauru, Saria, Nabooru (to fill out the OoT sages), Malon/Cremia, Anju (cuccoo attacks anyone?), Medli, Makar, Daphne, Ashei, Vaati, and Groose. I likely won't see all of them but if I had to pick out three, I would say Makar, Groose, and Nabooru are the three I want to see the most.

Edit: Somehow two REALLY obvious choices slipped my mind. Skull Kid and Tingle.

"Daphne"? Do you mean Daphnes? Cause Daphne is a girl's name. lol

Groose, Ashei, and Vaati are the only picks in your list i would go for. Well, Medli too, I suppose, since I did like the Rito. I want to see Pipit, Ashei, and Vaati the most though. Sadly, I'm not getting my hopes up real high for the third one...

I do think it's rather funny that Koei has so many girls in this game so far, as usually they are added girls into Dynasty Warriors to try and get the male:female ratio back up, or something

The Zelda series doesn't have a whole lot of male characters who aren't villains, lol. Just look at the seven sages from OoT; 5 are female, and one of the males is just randomly there to fill the slot. Male characters are typically joke characters like Groose and the mailman.

Also worth nothing, Link looks more like a girl in this game than in almost any other Zelda game.

I did mean Daphnes, it was late at night and I was staring at the red squiggles. But yeah, for more male characters, he could be a consideration, being the King of Hyrule and all that. He's one of the few characters who has even gotten to touch the Triforce on-screen. If Fi and Midna are in, then I kinda want to see the King of Red Lions too. But there is the possibility that everyone from Wind Waker gets omitted just because they'd have to be redesigned to fit the game's aesthetic, unlike OoT, MM, TP, and SS who can be mashed together without as much tweaking to the designs.

The low roster count is a fair bit disappointing (the only disappointment thus far)

Because Warriors games tend to have 60+ or in Orochi 3's case 120+ all with unique standout move sets

The low roster count is a fair bit disappointing (the only disappointment thus far)

Because Warriors games tend to have 60+ or in Orochi 3's case 120+ all with unique standout move sets

I do kind of expect it to be lower than usual, because DW games took 8 games and many spinoffs to get over 60 characters and rid of the clones that were very prominent before that. Warriors Orochi 3 is a special case that it's just a huge mash of these types of games data with the unique movesets.

However, like I said before the first One Piece Warriors game had "only" 13 characters in it - there was a sequel that came out, and that had 27, so that was a big increase. Dynasty Warriors 2 (which was the first "hack 'n slash" dynasty warriors game - the first was a fighting game, which was completely different) which probably had the most originally had around 27 or 28 I think and clones even within them. It'll take time and a few installments before there is anything comparable to the other series. The original Samurai Warriors (which is a series I have unfortunately not played) had around 18 playable characters. Plus Zelda really doesn't have as many characters to draw from.

Edited by Tryhard

Well considering the story is about Cia merging three worlds (SS, TP and OoT), I don't think we'll be seeing actual characters from Wind Waker, as nice as that'd be. I'm satisfied with the cameos for MM/WW, but it makes me wonder whether MM will have any representation (through characters) given Skull Kid/Happy Mask Salesman are both from OoT's world/timeline too.

I do kind of expect it to be lower than usual, because DW games took 8 games and many spinoffs to get over 60 characters and rid of the clones that were very prominent before that. Warriors Orochi 3 is a special case that it's just a huge mash of these types of games data with the unique movesets.

However, like I said before the first One Piece Warriors game had "only" 13 characters in it - there was a sequel that came out, and that had 27, so that was a big increase. Dynasty Warriors 2 (which was the first "hack 'n slash" dynasty warriors game - the first was a fighting game, which was completely different) which probably had the most originally had around 27 or 28 I think and clones even within them. It'll take time and a few installments before there is anything comparable to the other series. The original Samurai Warriors (which is a series I have unfortunately not played) had around 18 playable characters. Plus Zelda really doesn't have as many characters to draw from.

I know the series all started with a low amount of characters, I'm a fan of the Rtk Novel not to mention all of Koeis games. (We need a new Uncharted Waters)

But this is likely a one time crossover idea. I do not forsee a Zelda Musou 2

Edited by JediSwordSaint

Koinuma has said "Maybe in a Hyrule Warriors sequel" when someone asked to see a Dynasty Warriors vs Zelda match-up. If it ever happens, of course. I think most people would prefer it to stay Zelda characters, but who knows.

I would of much prefer a musou Fire Emblem to be honest. You have a huge roster already and a bunch of mounted units and lords with crazy weapon skills to boot.

Still though, can't believe the game is already coming out soon though in 2 weeks in Japan. So try and label spoilers as best as you can once it is out during the August months before the NA and EU get it.

And here we are, having Zelda fans argue character representation already.

It'll be hilarious when people who keep arguing get their hands on the game and brush it off because they simply do not like the "Dynasty Warriors" aspect of the game.

...The sad part is I see this happening when we see actual development on SMT x FE.

I honestly fail to see the point in arguing "representation" but... it happens and it's sad.

People are doing this already you know, it's pretty disappointing to see people frown on it because it "plays like Dynasty Warriors".

And yes, they are going to do the same crap with SMT x FE, like you say.

Some cults are doing it now, actually.

I would of much prefer a musou Fire Emblem to be honest. You have a huge roster already and a bunch of mounted units and lords with crazy weapon skills to boot.

You and me both.

I honestly fail to see the point in arguing "representation" but... it happens and it's sad.

This is getting ridiculous. I've been frequenting quite a few Hyrule Warriors threads and you, ShadowofChaos and everyone else agreeing with him are complaining about a non-issue. Yes, when me and Anacybele were posting, she mentioned that my character guesses were silly because it'd be 'over-representing' Ocarina of Time. That's it, that's all. Hardly a discussion about representation and definitely not an argument. A real topic that people have actually been complaining about is how Hyrule Warriors plays like Dynasty Warriors - as you mentioned yourself (which has nothing to do with representation of OoT/SS/TP).

This is getting ridiculous. I've been frequenting quite a few Hyrule Warriors threads and you, ShadowofChaos and everyone else agreeing with him are complaining about a non-issue. Yes, when me and Anacybele were posting, she mentioned that my character guesses were silly because it'd be 'over-representing' Ocarina of Time. That's it, that's all. Hardly a discussion about representation and definitely not an argument. A real topic that people have actually been complaining about is how Hyrule Warriors plays like Dynasty Warriors - as you mentioned yourself (which has nothing to do with representation of OoT/SS/TP).

He didn't even say it was people from here. And yes, I've seen quite a few people talking about representation around other places, and I give a big post on why I think it is pointless before.

And failing that, you can just "ignore" these posts like you told us to ignore yours lol. Does it not work both ways? Are you feeling victimised or something?

I know the series all started with a low amount of characters, I'm a fan of the Rtk Novel not to mention all of Koeis games. (We need a new Uncharted Waters)

You take what you get, I suppose. I'm just glad that cloning isn't a problem with characters now.

I think obviously my bias would say I would prefer this, but Zelda is far more popular and I can see why they did it.

Edited by Tryhard

He didn't even say it was people from here. And yes, I've seen quite a few people talking about representation around other places, and I give a big post on why I think it is pointless before.

And here we are, having Zelda fans argue character representation already.

So what's next...? That he didn't mean this thread? Of course, the posts in relation to his comment being right above his are totally a coincidence.

Also feel free to post some proof of this ever so large 'issue' you're speaking of. You're making a claim with no evidence.

And failing that, you can just "ignore" these posts like you told us to ignore yours lol. Does it not work both ways? Are you feeling victimised or something?

I said no such thing. You made two statements and both are completely wrong. I honestly don't know what to say here, as I never even implied the notion that my posts should be ignored, nor the idea of being victimized.

So what's next...? That he didn't mean this thread? Of course, the posts in relation to his comment being right above his are totally a coincidence.

Also feel free to post some proof of this ever so large 'issue' you're speaking of. You're making a claim with no evidence.

I meant Soledai, by the way, as you seem to be equally incensed at him for some reason. And I don't even know why you're so upset about shadowofchaos in the first place.

Do I really have to? It's fairly prevalent if you simply google "Hyrule Warriors representation" or just peruse gamefaqs or such. (yeah, gamefaqs, whatever)

If it seems like I actually care about it and see it as an "issue", not really. I was just pointing out why I view it to be rather pointless.

I said no such thing. You made two statements and both are completely wrong. I honestly don't know what to say here, as I never even implied the notion that my posts should be ignored, nor the idea of being victimized.

If you don't think character representation is an interesting discussion, then ignore it. The problem isn't the discussion here, it's you. I for one find it an interesting discussion regardless and will keep doing so.

If you don't think character representation is an interesting discussion then ignore it. However, I can't ignore your posts about character representation (in a negative way).

Edited by Tryhard

I meant Soledai, by the way, as you seem to be equally incensed at him for some reason.

Soledai was agreeing with ShadowofChaos's post. I was quoting Soledai as that was the one of two-three posts agreeing with a post about an issue that doesn't exist. You could totally ramble on about how Hyrule Warriors has too many male characters and that having too much males over females is bad. In context however, that's just not true.

How you interpret my posts and how I am actually feeling are two completely different things. I am neither upset or angry, which you seem to have this idea that I am. Maybe I could work on it, but that won't be happening as of yet.

Do I really have to? It's fairly prevalent if you simply google "Hyrule Warriors reprensentation" or just peruse gamefaqs or such. (yeah, gamefaqs, whatever)

If it seems like I actually care about it and see it as an "issue", not really. I was just pointing out why I view it to be rather pointless.

Mmm, I was expecting this. Onto Google!

Sheik, darunia, and princess ruto represent ocarina of time ...
I hope we get more Majora's Mask representation. - Hyrule ...
Hyrule Warriors Adds Princess Ruto To Its Lengthy Roster
Ocarina of Time favorites join the Hyrule Warriors ... - Polygon
Absolutely not a single one of those are complaints about the character representation in Hyrule Warriors, unless hoping for characters from Majora's Mask is considered a complaint? By the way, Gamefaqs does appear on the front page as you mentioned and again, no cigar. This issue you're talking about doesn't exist.

If you don't think character representation is an interesting discussion then ignore it. However, I can't ignore your posts about character representation (in a negative way).

I'm not seeing the issue with my posts. If you don't want to talk about character representation, ignore it. If you're disagreeing or complaining about my posts, you're clearly not ignoring them and thus should at least read them and the discussion at hand properly.

I'm happy that we're actually getting playable characters at all other than just Link, so whatever the finished product turns out to be, I'll be content.

But if they make Komali/Medli/any Rito playable, I will buy it just for that, if nothing else~!

Edited by Silver Lightning

Soledai was agreeing with ShadowofChaos's post. I was quoting Soledai as that was the one of two-three posts agreeing with a post about an issue that doesn't exist. You could totally ramble on about how Hyrule Warriors has too many male characters and that having too much males over females is bad. In context however, that's just not true.

I'm not entirely sure where you're going with this, but I'll get to the rest, whatever Soledai's opinion is.

How you interpret my posts and how I am actually feeling are two completely different things. I am neither upset or angry, which you seem to have this idea that I am. Maybe I could work on it, but that won't be happening as of yet.

That makes two (or more) of us, then, because I (and I imagine others) are not upset or angry over this too, and you seem to think we are, which is simply not the case. I'm pretty sure that Soledai will agree and that he meant no ill will by what he said and he too, like me, and as he said, fails to see the point in arguing representation, not that I'm butthurt over it. By the way, I used 'incensed' as exaggeration, as I don't think you're literally foaming at the mouth (I would hope not), but you have responded rather passionately. Should you work on it? I dunno, up to you to decide.

This is getting ridiculous.

The problem isn't the discussion here, it's you. I for one find it an interesting discussion regardless and will keep doing so.

Mmm, I was expecting this. Onto Google!

Sheik, darunia, and princess ruto represent ocarina of time ...

I hope we get more Majora's Mask representation. - Hyrule ...

Hyrule Warriors Adds Princess Ruto To Its Lengthy Roster

Ocarina of Time favorites join the Hyrule Warriors ... - Polygon

Absolutely not a single one of those are complaints about the character representation in Hyrule Warriors, unless hoping for characters from Majora's Mask is considered a complaint? By the way, Gamefaqs does appear on the front page as you mentioned and again, no cigar. This issue you're talking about doesn't exist.

You know, I wouldn't have bothered otherwise, but here you go.

http://www.technobuffalo.com/2014/07/22/sheik-darunia-and-princess-ruto-represent-ocarina-of-time-in-hyrule-warriors/ - Sheik, Darunia, and Princess Ruto "Represent" Ocarina of Time in Hyrule Warriors - you listed this, but is it not also talking about representation of a specific Zelda game, unless I'm mistaken, right?

http://www.nintendolife.com/forums/wii-u/hyrule_warriors_tentative_title?start=840 - So far we've gotten Ocarina of time, Twilight Princess, and Skyward Sword representations with characters, levels, and weapons and I'm guessing either Majora's Mask or Wind Waker will be next, but I wonder if they'll put in any representation from the 2-D games like a Link to the Past or the Oracle games.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/745183-hyrule-warriors/69631603 - I hope we get more Majora's Mask representation. - is it not relevant when they are simply hoping for any Majora's Mask character?

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/745183-hyrule-warriors/69513076 - This game needs more Majoras Mask representation than just Skullkid&TheMoon

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/745183-hyrule-warriors/69614800 - I predict Ocarina of Time/Majora's Mask representation is next.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/745183-hyrule-warriors/69774326 - Future Twilight Princess Reps

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/745183-hyrule-warriors/69715766 - Majoras Mask reps

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/745183-/69776343 - Hoping they reveal a Majora's Mask character on Monday.

http://puu.sh/aD5OT/af82454345.png - 2D And Toon Zelda representation.

http://puu.sh/aD5SV/175476aa8f.png - TP representation.

The last two puushes are from Koei Warriors, a Warriors series fansite that have a section for Hyrule Warriors now, by the way.

Specific replies in the Majora's Mask topics often talk about "representation" of specific games, with Majora's Mask being the most common. I also think it's hardly fair if you check the first page, dust your hands and say "doesn't exist!" considering I could do that for many things you could bring up because it isn't the most common. I don't remember saying it was rampant.

This 'issue' that I'm talking about exists. (wow, I can do it too!)

Here's a funny article that I found on my journeys (5 minutes) for kicks:

http://pulp365.com/2014/07/24/how-team-ninja-fixing-perception-hyrule-warriors/

And this one I found rather funny considering SSB:

http://ssb4dojo.com/post/92882946416/i-know-the-chances-are-unlikely-for-a-hyrule-warriors

I'm not seeing the issue with my posts. If you don't want to talk about character representation, ignore it. If you're disagreeing or complaining about my posts, you're clearly not ignoring them and thus should at least read them and the discussion at hand properly.

I mean, aside from the argument "if you don't like it, don't look at/watch it" being a horrible argument that I can't be bothered getting into, is it not hypocritical to say that if people don't like something that they shouldn't say anything about it but throw up your hands when people tell you to ignore their posts if you don't like what they respond with. Just so you know, I wasn't seriously making the argument that you should ignore mine or anyone else's posts if you don't like them, but I think it was relevant to show you that it is rather hypocritical. You know, shadowofchaos didn't even directly point you out. He made a post that wasn't directed at you specifically and you decided to respond to it. Why? You could have just ignored it, right?

I can't really be bothered getting into more so if you do respond then I will probably not reply unless you do say something I find egregious.

Edited by Tryhard

I want FE to crossover with Zelda someday. It'd be perfect with how both of them are medieval and have characters that use swords and horses and stuff. The game could have gameplay that's like a cross between FE's RPG stuff and Zelda's adventure style.

Your army could be made up of various Fire Emblem lords and major Zelda characters like the ones we see in Hyrule Warriors. And you fight against notable villains from both franchises. The Zelda characters could also be given some unique classes like Zora, Goron, and Deku. Zelda's class would be Princess Hyrule while Link's could be Master Hero (because of his Master Sword).

Just food for thought. ^^

I think it would be more likely for a Fire Emblem and Warriors crossover than Zelda, personally. Even then I don't see either happening unfortunately.

Speaking of Emblem Warriors, this is an old image but also a goldie.

army-barding-battle-camus-cape-castle-ep

(Lyn, Marth and Ike in the corner is a parody of the Warriors Orochi gameplay, where you could pick three characters and rotate between them in-battle)

Edited by Tryhard

I've seen that picture before. Should've used RD Ike, imo. lol

No matter how likely or unlikely is, I'm still wishing for Fire Emblem x The Legend of Zelda. :P

I've seen that picture before. Should've used RD Ike, imo. lol

No matter how likely or unlikely is, I'm still wishing for Fire Emblem x The Legend of Zelda. :P

:facepalm: Even as a joke, could you NOT bring up RD Ike all the time? You got your wish in Smash Bros already but seriously, I'm so sick of seeing this anytime Ike comes up. An artist can draw whatever the hell they want.

Anyway, on topic, I don't see the problem about hoping for representation of other Zelda games. Of course in a fanservice game people want to see their favourite characters. It's only natural. Same goes for Mario Kart or Smash Bros or even Fire Emblem; people want to see their favourite characters from across the series, and usually want a broad spectrum represented as well. While Wind Waker reps are a long shot based on what the game has gone for so far, Majora's Mask is immediately adjacent to OoT in the timeline so I don't blame people for wanting to see MM characters. It might not happen but the Skull Kid and Tingle and the Happy Mask Salesmen are all a bunch of characters who would be pretty interesting to play as. And then with the large cast of females vs males.... well, most of the supporting allied characters are women. Link's harem is especially strong in OoT. It's only natural that the female cast is lopsided in number.

:facepalm: Even as a joke, could you NOT bring up RD Ike all the time? You got your wish in Smash Bros already but seriously, I'm so sick of seeing this anytime Ike comes up. An artist can draw whatever the hell they want.

Hey, I was just stating an opinion. You don't need to be bitchy.

Just gonna... knock these out at the same time...

If I didn't mean here also, I would not have said, though it may or may not have happened, you somewhat missed the general meaning of that statement that got you so bothered...

Can you point out where I meant specifically here in this post?

And trying to use timing of the post doesn't work.

How you interpret my posts and how I am actually feeling are two completely different things. I am neither upset or angry, which you seem to have this idea that I am.

How you interpret my and post and what I actually mean are two different things. It's funny that you say this when you misinterpreted mine.

I'm not entirely sure where you're going with this, but I'll get to the rest, whatever Soledai's opinion is.

That makes two (or more) of us, then, because I (and I imagine others) are not upset or angry over this too, and you seem to think we are, which is simply not the case. I'm pretty sure that Soledai will agree and that he meant no ill will by what he said and he too, like me, and as he said, fails to see the point in arguing representation, not that I'm butthurt over it. By the way, I used 'incensed' as exaggeration, as I don't think you're literally foaming at the mouth (I would hope not), but you have responded rather passionately. Should you work on it? I dunno, up to you to decide.

Quite this, I've seen a lot of these rep "debates" like what was linked there, but I don't really mind how he feels about what I said.

I don't see the point and that's all I meant it as, so you get it.

I think it would be more likely for a Fire Emblem and Warriors crossover than Zelda, personally. Even then I don't see either happening unfortunately.

Speaking of Emblem Warriors, this is an old image but also a goldie.

army-barding-battle-camus-cape-castle-ep

(Lyn, Marth and Ike in the corner is a parody of the Warriors Orochi gameplay, where you could pick three characters and rotate between them in-battle)

I really want this more than any other crossover, collab, what have you, in gaming

Edited by Soledai

Hey, I was just stating an opinion. You don't need to be bitchy.

I don't see her as being bitchy about it, just annoyed. And I honesly agree with her, because this opinion seems to appear in every topic you appear in and can get tiresome pretty quickly. It also really bums me out when I see something really cool only for you to comment "eh, it should've been x" or something similar. :<

And I'm not trying to start any arguments by saying it, just kind of asking you to tone it down a notch. :<

More on topic, I'd honestly like to see Skull Kid be playable as an MM rep, although I'm afraid he might be one of the only viable playable reps from MM :c