High level, with early but limited availability

Paper Jam

Several FE games have characters who join you fairly early in the game, at a high level for their joining time, but leave your party after a small number of chapters and either rejoin you pretty late in the game or don't rejoin you at all:

Wallace in FE7

Orson in FE8

Shinon in FE9

The Black Knight in FE10

Arguably Tormod, Muarim,and Vika in FE10 might count too.

I'm not sure if this qualifies as an archetype, but I certainly think it's an interesting theme.

Perhaps Athena (FE12) might count too?

Regardless, I don't think there's enough similarities there to form another archetype (might or might not rejoin). Some of the ones that are currently commonly accepted feel a bit forced already, haha.

Edited by Topazd255

Tear Ring Saga has a lot of traitors, backstabber and deserters over the course of the game but these are the only particular powerful ones:

Zeek. Strongest bases, absurdely high growths, a broken class and freaking Elite.

Katri. Her normal class is that of a weak priest but she can turn into the invincible dragon Kradion at any time.

And I guess Narcus counts too. By himself, he is also not all that strong but like Xane he can transform into any other unit. Like the mighty Zeek, for example.

Edited by BrightBow

Doesn't Kurthnaga qualify for this as well? Granted he's not playable at the beginning of RD, but still...

Kurthnaga isn't really high level, if he joins in the endgame. He still can get 20 levels.

Doesn't Tauroneo qualify too? He's playable for a little bit in RD part 1, but doesn't come back until part 4 I think.

He's playable in 3-12 and 3-13.

I don't understand exactly the intention of this topic.

I thaught, it refers to the poor availibility of some characters in their games with the consequence you can't train them well (like FE9 Shinon and Tormod and Vika in FE10).

BK would be a bad example, because you don't need to train him, because he's max level already.

What about Nailah?

I also wouldn't count Tormod and his gang, as they're too medium-leveled. Vika's actually weak the entire game, now that I think about it.

If you mention Nailah, you also have to mention the other Laguz royals as well, because they have a less availibility than her.

Oh, well, that's still kind of late, imo.

He's level 14 2nd tier already, so no.

If you mention Nailah, you also have to mention the other Laguz royals as well, because they have a less availibility than her.

Well, no, because Nailah is playable in part 1 and then becomes playable again in part 4, whereas the other royals are recruited for the first time in part 4. The topic is about early availability.

He's level 14 2nd tier already, so no.

No, 3-12 / 3-13 are very much late in the game.

Tauroneo is also extremely high level for when he appears in Part 1 - the only one even close to him at the time is Sothe, and later on, Tormod/Muarim.

Therefore he:

1) Joins early.

2) Is absent for 2/3rds of the game.

3) Returns near the end.

He fulfills all the conditions.

Edited by Siuloir

I think ToH just misinterpreted what the topic is about. Tauroneo definitely does count.

Including Orson/Black Knight is debatable though, since the 'might or might not rejoin' aspect makes the foundation of the "archetype" really shaky.

What I meant is that Tauroneo isn't underleveled at this point when he comes to back to Micaiah's party in 3-12 + 3-13. He's still higher level than probably most other units of her team.

If Tauroneo really counts, so characters like Geoffrey, Elincia, Lucia and some Laguz like Nealuchi have to be mentioned as well!

FE10 is the best example anyway because of the weird availibility of the units.

Edited by TalesOf Hysteria

• 4 weeks later...

Including Orson/Black Knight is debatable though, since the 'might or might not rejoin' aspect makes the foundation of the "archetype" really shaky.

By the same token, so would Wallace, since he usually doesn't rejoin either.

I'm curious, just consider this dumb Snowy-talk, but would having the Jeigan-type character leave for a bit be a better way to balance out the characters? Like, say, imagine if you couldn't use Titania between chapters 9 and 15 in FE9. You'd have to get other units up and going in order to do well.

Dagda, level 6 Warrior, joins in chapter 1, leaves after 3, isn't obtained back after 8x. He's especially solid because of his bases whichinclude 43 HP, 14 Str, 9 Spd in a game where a lot of enemies have 0 AS and 10 Defense.

Eyvel, level 12 Swordmaster, joins and leaves at the same time. She's gotten back a short time in 5 before being petrified for most of the game and being the second objective of Leaf's quest. She also happens to be unkillable, though she can be captured. She can only be reobtained in 24x, right before the last chapter.

Edited by Woodshooter

You missed one!

Finn, a level 7(but he is so awesome, so lets agree that he is level KICKASS) Lance Knight(A horsie who is only allowed to wield Lance on horse), joins and leaves at the same time as Dagda and Eyvel. He's gotten back in chapter 8 automatically. He is an unpromoted unit, but he kinda fits the type since he is relatively stronger than the rest of the team, and have a Brave Lance that gives +20 Luck right from the start. He have a special ability which gives extra evasion once his HP drops low, which, when combined with Brave Lance make him almost invincible. Surprisingly he kinda falls off in late game since he have a low Sword Rank(in Thracia, you are not allowed to use Horse Indoor, and for the most part(any class that isn't Knight), Lance is exclusive to outdoor maps).

In comparison to other games, Finn would be the "Jeigan" while Eyvel would be those like "Greil" or "Cornelius"