When you promote your units....

....how do you determine the units you want to promote?

For me, I don't promote until my units hit level 20.

After that, depending on the game I'm playing, I check all stats and compare them between the other units of the same kind.

For instance, Unit A has better strength, speed, luck, and resistance. Unit B only has better skill and defense by comparison.

Thus, Unit A wins in 4 stats while Unit B wins in only 2 stats, so Unit A would get the promotion.

Edited by Mark the Tactician

20, but if someone's capped a bunch of junk before hitting 20, or im just not in the mood to wait around, i will promote sooner. But my limit is level 15. I wont promote earlier than that.

Depending how necessary it is for a unit to be promoted upon executing a strategy. For example, if I have Jill 3 turn 1-6-1 then I'll BEXP a couple of levels, Seal her and give her Wrath. As well as fast promoting Fiora by the dessert chapter in FE7.

edit: I no longer wait for level 20 to promote people.

Edited by Quintessence

I learned the hard way to not promote units early. Always at Lv. 20.

Unless it's Awakening. No point in waiting when Pair-Up bricks the game more than it already does.

First runs aside, I always have my team decided beforehand, so I just promote when they're ready, and "ready" is 98% level 20. The other 2% is healers, which I might promote a little earlier, as well as the rare fringe case where I might promote someone early for a low turn strategy in a draft or something.

Usually I don't promote anyone who's not in for the long haul, and I try to get as many unpromoted levels out of them as possible. Though in FE5 I've taken to promoting earlier because stat caps are so low and promotion gains are good to awesome.

Depending, how many stats are capped. If strength/magic, skill and speed are maxed out, I'll promote before level 20.

In FE10 I can usually promote my units early thanks to bexp. system. For exampe I try to promote Rolf at level 10 already. I give him the blossom skill from 3-3 and hope for great levels up to max out strength, skill and speed till level 10. On hard mode I promote my units earlier because of less bexp. than on lower difficulties. I always promote Mist at level 10 via Holy Crown independent on her stats, because I need a mobile healer for Ike's party in part 4.

Edited by TalesOf Hysteria

I won't promote any earlier than level 15, generally. Depending on how far along I am, I'll either promote them then or keep training them a few more levels. I generally don't wait until level 20 though, simply because hitting 20/20 isn't too common in my experience.

20 unless I feel that I really need a power boost to finish a chapter.

Or if a unit has capped stats, but that only happened to me with the kids in Awakening and with Soren in Radiant Dawn.

Edited by The Geek

wow am i the only one who just promotes whenever?

tbh i treat promotions like stat boosters; they go on whoever is eligible and needs them

i tried giving all of my master seals to Sheeda

it didn't work ;_;

I promote Knights and mages as early as possible because they need the additional movement/Staffs access. Or magic access, as the case might be for healers. Though, I would promote units like Asvel early anyway since his stats are going to be sky high no matter when he promotes. Otherwise I don't have too many rules.

Also, in TRS it mostly depends on which team they are on. Because Runan's route doesn't have that much EXP, I usually promote his followers early if possible.

Edited by BrightBow

It heavily varies on the game. I've never bothered to actually master seal anyone in tellius before level 20, but I promote between 10 to 18 frequently in every GBA game, and DSFE.

9 times out of 10, it's at level 20, with Awakening being the exception, and even then it's pretty much only if I've reclassed the unit at least once.

Edited by Levant Caprice

In many, many games in this series earlypromo is blessing. Earlypromo on Rutger? Yes, please! Earlypromo on Franz? Yes, please! Earlypromo on Sain? On Dieck? On Vanessa? On Asvel? On Florina? On Garcia? On Finn? On Othin? On Miledy? On Shiva? On Sara? On Felgus? On Cormag? On Gerik?

Well, some games (FE6, FE5, FE8) should be called: "Use Earlypromo, or be masochist". FE 8 is easy even without earlypromo, but better stats is always nice. I usually promo my units when I get promo item. It's usually 12-14 level, many times even 10(FE5 and Franz).

Edited by Nicolas

In FE1, always Lv10.

In FE2, when they reach their promotion point.

In FE9, most of the time Lv20, but that's because you want to BEXP someone to promotion.

Outside of that... There's no specific promotion level, but rather an optimal promotion chapter where the promoted class makes the game easier. I advice strongly to get your trained unit as many levels as you can before reaching that point.