Lunatic, Second Gen Only After Chapter 13 Run

isetrh

My first attempt at a playlog was a failure, so this time I will try something more noob-friendly. I got the inspiration from CateTheHuman's post in this thread http://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=39958, but my rules are slightly different.

Rules

- Lunatic/Classic (I will reset for usable level-ups early on, because I'm not good enough to beat Lunatic with an Avatar who has 10 Defense at Lv 10.

- No DLC or Wireless Menu

- No Event Tiles, Anna Shops, Barracks, or Skirmishes

-No Nosferatu

- After Chapter 13, first generation units must be retired.

• Like in the original, people like Anna and Tiki will be allowed. Anna can't get any experience until Chapter 13 is over.
  • Since Chrom is required, he can ride on Cordelia's back to stay out of enemy range.

Tell me if I missed anything. I fully intend to save Paralogues to train Lucina so she can have a fighting chance once I get her.

I'm going on vacation, so I might be a little slow.

Pairings (suggested by Czar_Yoshi):

Chrom x Olivia

MaMU x Nowi

Vaike x Cordelia

Gregor x Miriel

Donnel x Sully

Class paths

Chrom Lord 20 -> Great Lord

Olivia Dancer 30 -> Assassin

MaMU Tactician 20 -> Grandmaster

Nowi Manakete

Vaike Fighter 10 -> Warrior

Cordelia Pegasus Knight 20 -> Falcon Knight

Gregor Mercenary 10 -> Hero

Miriel Mage 20 -> Sage

Donnel Villager 10 -> Mercenary 10 -> Hero

Sully Cavalier 20 -> Paladin

Lucina (Aether, Luck +4) Lord 20 -> Great Lord 15 -> Paladin

Inigo (Rightful King, Luck +4) Mercenary 20 -> Hero 10 -> Paladin

Morgan (Veteran, Dragonsbane) Manakete ? -> Mercenary 10 -> Hero 5 -> Manakete

Nah (Veteran, Dragonsbane) Manakete 10 -> Mercenary 10 -> Hero 5 -> Manakete

Severa (Zeal, Relief) Mercenary 20 -> Hero

Laurent (Armsthrift) Mage 10 -> Dark Mage 20-> Sorcerer 10 -> Sage

Kjelle (Aptitude, Discipline) Knight 10 -> Mercenary 20-> Hero

Premonition

MaMU Ansgard

Build 1/Face 1/Hair 2/Hair Color 14/Voice 1

+ Defense - Luck

Validar sucks. I'm glad MU doesn't inherit his stats.

Prologue

I used the Water Trick and got Ansgard to Level 7. First time I stepped on an Event Tile out of habit and had to start over. Had good level ups too. Everything went as it was supposed to the second time too. No Magic +2 on the Mages, so I was happy. One had Focus, but didn't crit. Ansgard got Defense to 12, and Lissa decided to channel Nowi for her level.

Unit       Level    HP   ST   MG   SK   SP   LC   DF   RS
Chrom       1.40    20   07   01   08   08   05   07   01
Ansgard       7.14    23   08   07   05   09   06   12   08
Frederick   1.19    28   13   02   12   10   06   14   03
Lissa       2.70    18   02   06   04   05   09   03   05

Chapter 1

Ansgard paired with unequipped Frederick cleared put the enemies standing on the non-sparkly fort. No challenge whatsoever with his 12 Defense. Got great level ups.

Ansgard       10.68    26   11   09   06   11   08   13   09

Chapter 2

This chapter. Aggggh. Well, I beat it in two days. I think that's a record for me.

Ansgard and Fred were lucky and killed the Barbarian by the mountain, then sat on the mountain and killed everyone, while everyone else stayed in the corner. Fred unequipped for the second wave and he and Ansgard sat on a fort. Ansgard's Defense turned out average, so hopefully I'll be fine on Chapter 3.

Chrom       1.83    20   07   01   08   08   05   07   01
Ansgard       15.41    30   13   12   08   14   10   15   10
Frederick   1.58    28   13   02   12   10   06   14   03
Lissa       3.38    19   02   06   05   05   10   04   05

Chapter 3

Gave Fred the Vulnerary and Elixir. Deployed everyone but Sully. Chrom recruited Kellam and ran back. Kellam x Avatar attacked the Knight from range with Thunder, killing him on EP and injuring the other three. On PP, Chrom x Sumia got one Archer to 1 HP and Vaike x Miriel finished it. Avatar killed the other Archer with Bronze. Virion x Fred killed the Soldier.

With the left clear, Lissa healed Avatar, Sumia gave her Vulnerary to Miriel because I forgot to do that earlier, and Fred and Avatar gave their weapons to their supports. Kellam x Avatar sat in front of the stairs, with Virion x Fred next to him in the corner. Behind Avatar was Vaike x Miriel followed by Stahl x Lissa and then Chrom x Sumia. Miriel drank a Vulnerary each turn and was healed by Lissa until she could finish off the Archer while Fred and Avatar facetanked. Facetanking continued until Miriel killed everyone. Miriel lv 4, three vulneraries left. Lissa healed everyone and they headed to the right side door.

Avatar opened the door and weakenes the Knight. Miriel finished it off on PP. Avatar lured the enemies in and tanked (weapon equipped because I was starting to run low on Vulneraries) while Miriel got all but one kill because I messed up. For the Archers, I used the same healing routine as before. Miriel at lv 7, one Vulnerary left. Let Miriel have the boss. Left her in ranfe with too little HP because I'm playing FE past 1 am, but she was saved by a lucky miss.

Unit Level HP ST MG SK SP LC DF RS

Chrom 1.83 20 07 01 08 08 05 07 01

Avatar 16.94 31 14 13 08 14 11 16 11

Frederick 1.70 28 13 02 12 10 06 14 03

Lissa 7.86 21 03 07 08 07 14 04 07

Miriel 7.74 21 00 09 09 11 12 05 06

Vaike 3.30 24 09 00 08 16 04 05 00

Edited by isetrh

So... You're going to solo the first child Paralogue with unpaired base Lucina?

Better save all your statboosters for her, and Par.1-4 for extra exp (and Cherche) if you can manage it. You're going to need a good deal of extra maps and/or some very tight combat management if you want to get everyone paired before Cht.13 though.

Anyway this will mostly be hard to set up and unlock the paralogues and then beat the first one, and once you get Morgan it'll become a piece of cake. Not to mention that Morgan probably has the easiest child Paralogue...

Or, if you don't care about getting every child, then just pull a Morgan x Lucina duo. Actually if Avatar was Lucina's mother, she could probably easily pull a completely unassisted solo even on Lunatic as a Nosfertank with Sol/Aether for healing. She could probably do it with Sumia too if you trained Sumia up first, though she'd have to rely a little more on luck on Lunatic.

I guess getting everyone paired is kind of unreasonable. Maybe 5 pairs. The unpaired base Lucy thing is the reason why Anna is allowed. Nosferatanking and Avatar!Lucina are a little too broken. I will go for NotAvatar!Lucina and ban Nosferatu.

Thanks for helping me out again. I really appreciate it, and kind of look up to you.

Edited by isetrh

No problem.

If five pairs is what you want (taking it as a minimum, not a maximum), try Chrom x Olivia, Avatar x Nowi, Cordelia x Vaike, Miriel x Gregor and Donnel x Sully. All of those will be pretty easy to pair, and have good tanking potential on arrival. Veteran Manaketes are some of the best growth units in the game, Aptitude Kjelle will do pretty well as well. Laurent exists as a failsafe to clear Nah's Paralogue (it's commonly regarded as one of the hardest without Mire). All the children also get either AT or an unbreakable Prf weapon, so no need to worry about cash either.

I've never gotten Olivia to pass down Galeforce to Lucina on anything less than Lunatic though (not enough enemy exp), so you may have to step up the difficulty a notch if you want it on Inigo.

Eh, why not. I'll do Lunatic.

Premonition

MaMU Ansgard

Build 1/Face 1/Hair 2/Hair Color 14/Voice 1

+ Defense - Luck

Validar sucks. I'm glad MU doesn't inherit his stats.

Sorry I didn't ha e time for more, just got to Hawaii today :3

Thanks for the advice. I guess I'll try to get Olivia most of the exp from Chapter 12 and Paralogue 4, but do you think that will be enough?

I'm also a little worried about Donnel since he doesn't get his seal until Chapter 8.

Prologue

I used the Water Trick and got Ansgard to Level 7. First time I stepped on an Event Tile out of habit and had to start over. Had good level ups too. Everything went as it was supposed to the second time too. No Magic +2 on the Mages, so I was happy. One had Focus, but didn't crit. Ansgard got Defense to 12, and Lissa decided to channel Nowi for her level.

Ansgard       7.14    23   08   07   05   09   06   12   08

Chapter 1

Ansgard paired with unequipped Frederick cleared put the enemies standing on the non-sparkly fort. No challenge whatsoever with his 12 Defense. Got great level ups.

Ansgard       10.68    26   11   09   06   11   08   13   09
Edited by isetrh

I try to give her all of Cht.11 as well, and as much of Cht.13 as she needs. Better to reach Lv.15 early than to run out of exp.

You'll need at last two good tanks if you want to give her everything in Cht.11/12, though. Keep that in mind. She'll also need you to save her an Arms Scroll for reaching D Lances as a Dark Flier for Cht.12 unless you save her a Paralogue to do it on.

I thought that she needed to have GF by the start of Chapter 15?

I didn't think of using Chapter 11. That makes a lot of sense. Whenever I dance abused before I would just save Gangrel and his six. The thief will escape that way, but with so much AT 10k shouldn't hurt too bad. Thanks!

Lucina comes at the end of Cht.13. You could wait however long you want to pick up Inigo... But you're not using the parents past Cht.13 so you won't have any more opportunities to train her. Also Inigo's paralogue opens instantly if you have Morgan's.

You can stop the thief with no enemy casualties if you have a Pass unit paired with a Galeforce unit (or a Pass unit with a weapon with one use left), which requires a bit of planning ahead but is perfectly possible. It will aggro everything so you'll need the tanks to keep them distracted, but the reinforcements are automatically aggroed so you'd need the tanks anyway.

Chapter 2

This chapter. Aggggh. Well, I beat it in two days. I think that's a record for me.

Ansgard and Fred were lucky and killed the Barbarian by the mountain, then sat on the mountain and killed everyone, while.everyone else stayed in the corner. Fred unequipped for the second wave and he and Ansgard sat on a fort. Ansgard's Defense turned out average, so hopefully I'll be fine on Chapter 3.

Chrom       1.83    20   07   01   08   08   05   07   01
Ansgard       15.41    30   13   12   08   14   10   15   10
Frederick   1.58    28   13   02   12   10   06   14   03
Lissa       3.38    19   02   06   05   05   10   04   05

I did this on hard classic, and it wasn't too hard as I got further into it.

I recommend getting Laurent as early as possible (as in, right after lucina if possible). He will be your most competent unit as a Sage, and can rescue other kids when they are Green (kjelle, Morgan, Gerome) better than anyone else could. Plus, Brady is located pretty far in game, and Laurent's chapter is not that difficult. The Goddess Staff is not important, but Laurent's village never vanishes (I'm pretty certain of that anyway), unless it's attacked by one of two barbarians.

Alternatively, Morgan works, but his/her chapter has a few sword masters that could screw you over.

Thanks for the advice. I don't think I want to do 14 levels of Assassin just for that Thief, plus Second Seals are tight withput Renown. If Lucina is strong enough I'll get Laurent immediately. If not I'll get him after Paralogue 2 and/or Paralogue 3.

Edited by isetrh

You're going to be putting the levels into your Avatar anyway and need a class to be in, and since you're passing down Veteran you don't need to go for skills. Unless the low Def cap is really offputting (shouldn't be since you're such a great dodgetank) you won't actually lose anything for it, and gain a Bullion(L).

I guess that's true. How feasible is getting Cordelia Galeforce by then?

Working on Chapter 3. Fred died once because I messed up. One of many resets to come, since this is my first non-Avatar-solo Lunatic run.

Edited by isetrh

It mostly depends on who you want to use Cht.8's Master Seal on. Cordelia can certainly get plenty of exp from the Mages in the desert, and she's pretty easy to feed in Cht.10 if you use Interceptor's Lunatic+ strats and just have her be the one on the fort (with a big +Def pairup, and she'll need Tomes by then so as not to give the Wyverns WTA).

Well, that is the only Master Seal until Mustafa, so there is some competition, namely the Avatar. Actually now that I think about it, I don't see how it's possible to get both Galeforce and Pass by Chapter 11 besides FeMU getting both. I cpuld get the Second Seal if I used Renown, but the Master Seal is a problem.

By the way, why did you recommend Vaike!Severa? That's the only one I don't really understand.

Edited by isetrh

Cordelia can double Cht.8's DMs at base without a pairup. She needs 24 atk to ORKO them (they have 36 HP and 6 Def), and has 9 base Str. A forged Javelin can reach 8 mt for 5250 G (with WRB), add a Str tonic and +5 from Vaike (he needs at least one Str level up over base for this, a C support will work too) and you get a perfect ORKO. Do note that despite doubling the DMs at base, you'll either need a Spd tonic or four Spd procs on Vaike to avoid being doubled by the Myrmidons. If you do use a Spd tonic, you can also ORKO Fighters that lack HP+5 with a +1 mt Killer Lance (from Donnel's Paralogue, +3 is needed to get HP+5 mooks) though barring a crit you'll eat a counterattack for it.

If Cordelia manages to get a Str proc in Cht.7, you could go with Fred instead, but he falls off quickly in Lunatic and it would be better to use that proc to leave a point off the Javelin to conserve funds. It's also difficult to get her exp there due to the enemy composition (it's Chrom's turn to grind there).

Masters also sometimes come from Merchants. If you were careful, you might be able to reach the thief without needing Pass, though you'd probably need both Galeforce and a 1-use weapon for him.

Edited by Czar_Yoshi

You're planning to solo a few chapters with an unpaired Olivia!Lucina? Olivia seems like an awful partner for Chrom unless you're going to grind her a ton before Lucina joins, and even then, Sully seems better to me.

Anyway looking at your pairings, five seems too many. I had some serious trouble with Lunatic up to chapter 11 or so, using four pairings. Admittedly this was a no SS run, which makes things a little tougher, although I was also using event tiles, Nosferatu, Anna shops and Bonus Box/Renown up to Bullion (L) so it's probably about the same early on. Still I think I'd have had better luck going for only Chrom x Sully/Sumia and Robin x Cordelia/Tharja. I would look at dropping or shifting pairings around so you only have 4-6 gen 1 characters, maybe 8 if you really want to get 6 kids (fewer high quality kids is better than more medium quality ones though, but if you have 5 kids then one of them should probably aim to be a rally bot - Morgan's brother/sister is a good candidate as he can inherit Spectrum + another rally easily, and then hopefully pick up a third useful one (e.g. Cordelia x Robin can give a Severa with Rally Spectrum/Speed to start with and then pick up Rally Skill shortly after).

Good luck with the run, but right now I'd seriously reconsider your plans before going any further.

Oh, also, I don't know if you realised but you're gonna be grinding barracks events for a fair amount of time, since it's the only way you can pair up Gregor, Nowi and Cordelia without visiting 1-2 Side Stories. An S support takes 8 chapters if you don't get lucky with an even support conversation (which you can't get), a Seed of Trust (which you can't get) or a Barracks support conversation (the only thing you haven't banned), and excluding a few specific pairings like Chrom x Sumia or Gregor x Nowi which can get the C support in one chapter. Cordelia has 7 chapters, meaning one support conversation at no/C support level will be enough to marry her to The Vaike. Nowi and Gregor have 6 chapters, meaning you need a support conversation at both no and C support level to cut out two chapters (alternatively two conversations at B/A level will cut off a chapter).

Edited by Tables

I think Olivia grinding is indeed the plan, although I may have understated the difficulty of giving Olivia entire chapters a bit. Lunatic can really bite you if you're unprepared or not familiar with the mode. And that's all pretty solid advice.

From my experience though, the chapters between when Avatar gets going and promoted units start appearing are in a place where Avatar's defensive capabilities outpace enemy offense, so if one is patient and careful it should be possible to max out everyone's support in each map (then again, my patience is above average). Extra characters start really hurting around Cht.16/17, but by then the parents will be long gone and there'll just be a smaller number of children (although it could still be wise to drop Sully/Donnel so there's an even number of children).

I don't think you understand the issue with supports.

The maximum any pair can ever gain in a single map from normal things (non-event tiles/SoT/etc.) is 27 points. And this limit is pretty easy to reach - for example 4 battles paired up between two characters reaches that limit, very easy. Romantic supports almost always require 36 or 45 points per level. It doesn't matter how much you have two characters do, they're going to require two chapters to make a support most of the time. And that means 8 chapters to get married. Since you're not using parents beyond chapter 13 at all, that means anyone recruited 7 or less chapters before that point (in chapter 7 or later) will require some special preparation to actually get married. Now, I get the feeling not banning Barracks might have been an oversight, and isetrh intended to avoid them (after all they're basically just grindable event tiles with only partially controllable characters involved), in which case, he'd have even less options, and I think it WOULD be 8 chapters minimum for almost all pairings.

Edited by Tables

Thanks everyone for the advice, and for checking out my playthrough! I didn't entirely think through some of this. I will drop Kjelle as suggested. This gives me another Paralogue for Lucina, and more early game experience for Miriel. Not banning Barracks was an oversight on my part. I will add them the next time I update the OP (a little bothersome since all I have is mobile right now). I may need to allow CoY 1-3 once in Gen 1 after all for some extra maps. Thank you for helping me out with this!

I don't think you understand the issue with supports.

No, I know how supports work, and that's what Paralogues 1-4 are for. They're also for getting Lucina on her feet though so they can't be overused (and for the record, I didn't recommend the cutoff point or even lots and lots of pairings, I just offered a suggestion as to what pairings could be used).

Edited by Czar_Yoshi

Sorry if I made it look like Czar suggested most of the stupider things I chose, that wasn't my intention. Five pairings was a little bit of a relic from when it was going to be Hard/Classic. Hopefully I can complete and post Chapter 3 within the next six hours or so.

Edited by isetrh