Why is Lucina so bland?

As a character...

Seriously, she has no depth whatsoever outside of oh I don't get a joke....

As much as people get on to popular females like Tharja and Cordelia, atleast they have an established personality outside of...

I CAN SEE THE FUTURE

Her supports really are not anything to write home about either.

To me her support with the Avatar felt akward and a little forced...

Not enough salt.

Seriously, I don't get what answers you're expecting here.

Edited by Refa

Bland? I didn't feel so. She has some depth to her, I believe. Coming from a ruined future has opened up so much possibilities, such as wanting to experience things she couldn't (like genuine family moments and shopping with her mother), and her naïvety is at times adorable. She has a lot to endure and live up to, but she still wants to be normal.

I find Lucina to be pretty bland too. I also don't like her design (mostly her outfit). I've seen some of her supports, but none have changed my opinion any.

Edited by Anacybele

This post might be exaggerated, still (imo) she's less bland then every other female in FE:A

http://rukina.co.vu/post/56573744437/sharktoothed-replied-to-your-post-sharktoothed

Severa though. Severa does gave depth to an extent, and she's more than just a tsundere.

You pretty much answered the question yourself. As to why people overlook her flaws...

Laura Bailey's voice probably helps subconsciously. Cutscenes and a famous voice actress give her appeal.

Or because they simply didn't find any flaw in her. Seriously, this stuff is as subjective as it can. It's not people overlooking flaws when said flaws aren't even factual.

Inb4 Airship Cannon appears, lel

You don't need to have that much personality in order to be an engaging character. Lucina is a survivor of a bad future who knows all to well that her actions will not only decide the fate of her own family and friends but the entire world. If she fails, the praise will be paid by every single soul who lives and ever will live. I would say she offers more then enough for some good drama. Especially if her archnemesis just so happens to run around wearing the skin of her mother. Would some wacky quirk or a random verbal tick really add anything worthwhile to her?

I have to say, I liked the proper reveal of Lucina's identity in chapter 13. There is no nonsensical dialog about the imaginary villain called fate, sad attempts at comedy or anything like that. It's just Lucina's pain and the relief she finds in the embrace of her mother and father after she had to carry her heavy burden all by herself for so long. Setting, dialog, cutscenes and voiceacting came together to form the kind of scene that the game needed a lot more off instead of all those sad attempts at comedy.

It's annoying how afterwards most of her dialog is about how fate supposedly can't be changed, a rather random conviction. But at least she is the only character who seems to actually care how things turn out. I think the best thing that the game could have done would have been to focus on her and her struggles instead of Chrom or Robin.

Edited by BrightBow

But don't you see?

I think Lucina's personality fits fine for her character. She's usually very serious, but I like her supports that show a bit more of her loose, comedic side, like with Owain or Sister!Cynthia. I definitely wouldn't say she's bland.

I think Lucina suffers more from the ... more colourful characters around her than bad writing in general. You've got people like Owain, Inigo, Gaius and all those other super-gimmick-y people; compared to them Lucina seems bland (Chrom as well, in a way). If you come from reading a Cynthia/Owain support, the Lucina/Laurent support might look boring.

That said, she does have some bad supports. If she's that serious about saving the world, why would she hide a wound and not let it be treated? That applies to ALL that DOZENS of characters where the writers used that cliche. I mean, seriously? How often can you use that fucking cliche in one game? Lucina, Frederick, pretty sure Lon'zu as well. You are fucking soldiers! If you go into battle wounded, you're a liability! You are a danger to your comrades! It makes no sense for you to hide your wound if you're serious about protecting them!

/rant end

Sorry bout that, but the stupidity got to me.

This post might be exaggerated, still (imo) she's less bland then every other female in FE:A

http://rukina.co.vu/post/56573744437/sharktoothed-replied-to-your-post-sharktoothed

Tumblr has never been a credible source for anything. That analysis puts Lucina on such a pedestal.

Going to agree with Brightbow. The best part of Lucy was her reveal. Other than that... She isn't too spectacular. She has no relevance in the plot and served as a way to market Marth without Marth being in the game. She was just sorta... there. Kinda like Lyn. Basically everyone except maybe Kjelle and Miriel shows some sort of character in their supports so I don't see why Lucy gets special credit for it.

Because Awakening.

Also, that tumblr post is wrong. Lucina is totally flat. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Noone would complain about that kind of flatness though :KnollRoll:

Tumblr has never been a credible source for anything. That analysis puts Lucina on such a pedestal.

I won't disagree - still he got a point, imo Tharja and Cordelia (and most of the cast) are blander.

I like most of her supports, save the one with female avatar, which was really awkward to me.

And I don't really find her bland at all. She felt far more like an actual person than pretty much the rest of the cast, so that's a plus in my book.

Lucina always kind of struck me as a satire on white bread protagonists, a lot of her dialogue makes me laugh because she has no sense of humor and always takes things so seriously.

Robin
A souvenir shop, I'd wager. You should go take a look once the fighting's done.

Lucina
How charming! They have wood carvings that bear my father's face.

Robin
They what?! Whoa, they do! But why?!

Lucina
Judging from what I've heard, we're minor celebrities in these parts. I suppose it's not so strange to see our likenesses being used so.

Robin
Still, that's a little...you know...

Lucina
Indeed. It must be mine, by any means necessary!

Robin
What? Wait, what?

Lucina
My apologies, Robin. As soon as we've cleared the immediate area, I'll be leaving the front for a moment.

Robin
To go souvenir shopping?! I'm pretty sure they're not going to leap off the shelves anytime soon!

Lucina
One cannot take any chances. A greed-addled mob may be on its way to buy out the entire stock as we speak.

Robin
Lucina, you're scaring me.

Lucina
Yes... I, too, am gripped with fear! I must make haste! Hold on, tiny, wooden Father! I'm coming!

It's not for everyone, but I certainly see the appeal.

As a character...

Seriously, she has no depth whatsoever outside of oh I don't get a joke....

As much as people get on to popular females like Tharja and Cordelia, atleast they have an established personality outside of...

I CAN SEE THE FUTURE

Her supports really are not anything to write home about either.

To me her support with the Avatar felt akward and a little forced...

I think her design also leads to people liking her. Like many character's designs, it matches with the character's personality. A lot of emotion is conveyed with her portraits that comes from the wonderful artwork. Her fake smile for example. This added with great voice acting and the whole time traveler deal is enough for most characters.

I hate her supports with the avatar as well.

She's pretty much Trunks from Dragon Ball Z. Who Laura Bailey conveniently also played the younger version of.

Interesting comparison.

Now unlike Lucina, Trunks was more then happy to share all the information about the future threat that he possessed instead of merely giving a useless warning, had a more complicated relationship with his father that contributed greatly to the man's character development and was more engaged with the main plot like actually trading lines with the main villain (despite not even knowing the guy from his own time like Lucina does.).

But most importantly, at the end of the saga he returned back to his own world in order to save it too. In Lucina's case, at best some endings leave it open whether she went back to her own time or not but most of them clarify that she abandoned her world and lived together with one of the other kids in the past. And Trunks wasn't even a Lord, so it's not like it was his duty to save his future.

So Trunks is both a superior character and a better person in general.

Edited by BrightBow

I've always liked Lucina mainly since she acts as a foil to characters like Owain and Inigo. At least she has fun trying to prevent her sibling from using Falchion as a fruit cutter.

The main thing that has always bugged me about Lucina is her sighing or grunting or whatever noise that is she makes.

Edited by rhaynes

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting comparison.

Now unlike Lucina, Trunks was more then happy to share all the information about the future threat that he possessed instead of merely giving a useless warning, had a more complicated relationship with his father that contributed greatly to the man's character development and was more engaged with the main plot like actually trading lines with the main villain (despite not even knowing the guy from his own time like Lucina does.).

But most importantly, at the end of the saga he returned back to his own world in order to save it too. In Lucina's case, at best some endings leave it open whether she went back to her own time or not but most of them clarify that she abandoned her world and lived together with one of the other kids in the past. And Trunks wasn't even a Lord, so it's not like it was his duty to save his future.

So Trunks is both a superior character and a better person in general.

You're assuming that time trave works the same way in FE as in DBZ or if it does that Lucina is even abe to return. Multiverse is typically, imo, the best, least confusing way to implement time travel into a series and it even seems like it's supported by the Outrealm Gate and the Future Past DLC. However, if Lucina came from an alternate universe, what would be the point of her actions or Naga's time travel ritual thingy? Her universe would still be in ruins and Grima would still be there... Excepet that he followed her, which implies his belief that her success in the past would mean his end in the future. So Grima either followed her because they're not seperate universes, or because this evil equivilant of a being that created a time travel ritual has NO understanding of time travel. The developers couldn't seem decide whether they wanted to convey a mutiverse or dynamic timeline and instead hinted at both repeatedly. It's entirey possible that the devs meant for the FE universe to have its own unique time travel mechanics, but if so, our story tellers neglected to explain it and instead gave us a jumbled mess of implications that contradict each other.

TL;DR: IS is very bad at handling the unwieldy plot device that is time travel.

OT: I liked Lucina. She's from a future in ruins, where she lost everything and it shows in her character.

Edited by Rattlehead

I'm under the impression that Grima just doesn't understand time travel. He's (almost definitely) an Earth Dragon, therefor he's probably also insane, which probably hinders his understanding of complex things like this.

And that jumbled mess of implications is officially known as a Timey-Wimey Ball.