It seems I have backwards opinions

ChefGuevara

Hello! I've been hanging around this site for a few months and finally decided to make an account!Anywho,I always felt like the odd one out since eliwood is my favorite lord,I like pairing him with lyn,and always felt that hector was overrated. Am I truly alone.?

You are all alone. No one agrees with you. No one loves you.

(That was a joke, btw)

While I dislike the word "overrated," I don't feel like Hector is as good as everyone makes him out to be, that's for sure. I'm not a fan of Eliwood, either, though, and I don't pair him with Lyn.

But I'm sure there are those out there with whom you share the same opinions on this subject.

I remember seeing an Eliwood x Lyn fanlisting some years ago. I don't know if it's still active or not, but the fact that it existed at all is proof enough that you're not alone even if you aren't in the majority.

I always liked Lyn and Eliwood because it's very sweet , but not overdone like it can be with Ninian sometimes;They're more human,I suppose,and it plays out less like a fairy tale( I never heard Cinderella yell"Teach me how to be a lady!"

I like Eliwood for the most part, although I much prefer Hector. Hector and Lyn's friendship was developed pretty well, and I always felt there were romantic undertones.

In all fairness it's likely neither of those actually happened if IS ever canonizes it, but we'll never know since 7 left things mostly up to your own interpretation. But yeah, I'm pretty sure a lot of people out there like that pairing.

Disregarding all that, Hector saves my life on HHM so I could never call him underrated stats-wise.

I've never been against hector as a unit;keep him away from mages he can double some things,etc.etc. but I never thought he was the Jesus unit some make him out to be.Ive always liked balanced units,so I have natural affinity for eliwood,and lyn...well, I'm on chapter 10 of my current playthrough and she has 10 str at level 9

Wow.....I never thought I'd ever meet someone else who likes Eliwood x Lyn rather than the over saturated Eli x Nin or Hector/Rath x Lyn. You're certainly not alone here in that respect. Besides the pair themselves, I also like how much better the support makes Eliwood in battle. I suppose Hector is kinda overrated, but I still like him too.

Welcome to the Forest, btw~!

As far as foot locked units , hector is among the best.

The game is dominated by Axe users, if not mounts in general, and hector is an Axe user. Hand Axes are just that good.

Hector has the durability to back that up. Its not like he is Dorcas/Bartre with questionable defensive parameters, he is Hector, Axe General incarnate.

Welcome to the club!

Hey, I love Eliwood! I don't feel Hector is as good/cool as everyone else says either. He's kind of rude and he died for me an awful lot, more than either Eliwood or Lyn. And Eliwood has almost NEVER died for me. He dodged nearly everything, that guy. He kicked ass.

I like Hector x Lyn best for pairings involving the lords though.

Edited by Anacybele

I also like ElixLyn combat wise,mainly since it improves *lyns durability while putting more oomph behind her attacks.and again,they always felt the Fire Emblem odd couple to me,like when they have kids they'll be the best,but strangest parents ever.

Edited by Livin La Vida Loca

I've heard that Lyn's personality underwent significant changes during the localization, and that Eliwood x Lyn was considerably different as a result. I suppose most of us will never know that for sure.

I for one prefer to pair Lyn with Kent and Hector with Farina. I don't like pairing Eliwood with Ninian, but I'm not fond of pairing him with Fiora either.

I've heard of lyn and her personality change,but never seen evidence.As for kent,I just think him and rath have no personality,but maybe I don't read into it well enough.

Well, I've known people who have played the Japanese version of FE7 before it was released in English (one of them was actually a native of Japan no less), and they've all confirmed that it was true. None of these people stood to gain anything from lying, so that's all the evidence I need.

I actually really like Eliwood as a character. He is kind but rational. He acts like a true noble. He's a diplomat, not an action hero. His gameplay performance just sucks so much. If only he had better growths.

Still, I like Hector more because axes. Hand axes OP.

Really,now ?In that case I really wish someone would translate a Japanese copy so i could compare;perhaps it would make me ship her eliwood even more:3

Or less. Not everyone was keen on Lyn's original personality. In fact, the guy from Japan that I mentioned described her as having the personality of a "generic upbeat anime girl" and insisted that the localization was an improvement.

Generic peppy anime girl,eh?At least it means I don't have to reconstruct my opinion of her and I can just pretend the original doesn't exist.Does it affect her supports a lot?(Hint:Eliwoods?)

Eliwood/Lyn? Nahhh. Its kinda bland is why im not a fan. I like Eliwood with Ninian or Fiora.

Hector is my favorite lord so i pair him with my favorite character in the whole series, Florina.

Lyn gets to hang out with Rath and shes happier for it.

Bland?But...she yells at eliwood to teach her how to be a lady!its so unorthodox ,it just seems like such a fun relationship.I on the other hand consider lyn and rath/kent to be bland. They're both just so emotionless,that it's like lyn is trying to marry a brick wall.Bah,I let myself get angry writing this.Im sorry.

Eliwood really should have been a lance using lord. 1-2 range and not facing weapon triangle disadvantage against knights and cavaliers with his preferential weapon would do wonders for his viability. Although his growths would still be mediocre.

I think Eliwood X Lyn makes the most sense. Eliwood and Ninian as couple are too complacent for my taste. I don't like pairing Kent with Lyn because I feel like their backgrounds and status levels are just too different for them to work (Although I don't mind Kent as a unit during the earlier chapters even though most prefer Sain). Eliwood and Lyn's relationship is a lot of give and take. They seem to push each other to be more than they could be on their own.

AND Welcome to the Forest, my friend.

Thank you!in this entire thread there were like two people who were with me on that;and even if kent isn't half bad as a unit,I've still taken to calling him kunt.

There is one reason why I don't support Eliwood/Lyn nearly as much as Eliwood/Fiora or especially Eliwood/Ninian:

Lilina: Marcus, what kind of couple were Lord Eliwood and his wife?

Marcus: Well, my lady, when the two were youths, they were such a happy pair that just looking at them would cheer one up. The people of Pherae were truly happy for them.

Lilina: Wow... That's nice...

Marcus: Lord Eliwood loved his wife deeply. And one night...before the two became engaged, Lord Eliwood suddenly disappeared from the castle. When he returned to his love three days later, he presented her with a beautiful white flower which only grows in the snowy highlands. It was the flower which she loved the most.

Lilina: Lord Eliwood is so...romantic. Sigh... Now look at Roy...

I feel the flower is meant to remind his wife of the place where she was born (Ilia).

As far as Eliwood being the best FE7 lord, I actually agree, and not just because waifu. Hector is usually underwhelming for me, and Lyn is decent. I once had a Lyn cap four stats though, she was beast.

I like Eli's balanced growth and Swords are my favorite weapon type.