Updated Mystery of the Emblem Fan Translation [version 0.14 released]

Quirino

This is a translation patch for Fire Emblem Mystery of the Emblem. This patch builds upon the patch by RPGuy96 and VincentASM released in 2008. Initially, the only change was going to be a variable width font, to fit more text on each line. Furthermore, the names in the translation were changed from the fan names to the official Shadow Dragon names and some text that was missing from the original translation has been implemented. However, over the course of the project's lifespan, various other things have been implemented to make the overall translation feel more complete and make the final product look more polished.

Due to me being European, all characters/locations have their European names! So the patch uses the names Shiida, Nabarl, Akeneia, Doluna and Medon. Furthermore, for all names that did not have an official counterpart (from book 2, that is), I have used the Fire Emblem 12 translations. By now, there are various official names from book 2 available due to the release of Fire Emblem Heroes. These names have not (yet) been implemented.

Team:
Robert of Normandy - He did all the difficult ASM hacking which I could've never done on my own. Thanks to Robert, the patch has a much more professional feel to it.
Quirino - Reformatting the text, inserting additional translations and editing the existing text at some places.

Original translation (that this project built upon):
RPGuy96 - Rom hacking
VincentASM - Translations

Special thanks to:
Neill Corlett - For the translated title screen

Version 0.14: Download here
Initial beta test.

Both patches are for headered, clean Japanese roms only. You can use SNEStools to add a header to your ROM if it doesn't have one. If you're not sure about the rom version, try 1.0: most roms are this version.

Since the patch may possibly contain bugs: please soft patch (rename the patch to the rom name). Most emulators support soft-patching. Don't use ZSNES, as it has troubles with this game (though frankly, you shouldn't ever use ZSNES at all). I personally recommend SNES9X or Higan.

To do (theoretically):
-Fix any missing text, typos and grammatical errors
-Update the newly announced official names for book 2 characters (will likely happen at some point)
-Make a separate patch for American names (may or may not happen, depending on the demand and if I feel like it)
-Updating the font to be more aesthetically pleasing (will probably never happen)

Edited by Quirino

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

oh, neat! gonna admit i've never had the most positive opinion of the fe3 patch as it presently stood, and the potential for any improvement there is much appreciated. that said, the need for a slimmer font (in dialogue at least) never really occurred to me as far as fe3 is concerned, and its relatively light outline colour combined with its slimness strikes me as potentially impairing its visibility; i'd recommend recolouring the outline to be darker than the text box's colour, if possible

obligatory mention that despite also being stuck with the pal-region games, my bias is very much toward the american names because lolshiida, but that's not important

This is awesome! I've never actually played FE3 so it'll be nice to play it with an updated patch.

I personally prefer the NoA names but in the long run they really aren't important.

oh, neat! gonna admit i've never had the most positive opinion of the fe3 patch as it presently stood, and the potential for any improvement there is much appreciated.

Well it wasn't perfect but it was probably the most playable of the 3 snes FEs as far as translation patches go :XD:

Nice work.

obligatory mention that despite also being stuck with the pal-region games, my bias is very much toward the american names because lolshiida, but that's not important

dolhr always looked stupid to me, though. you win some, you lose some

Edited by Tryhard

Didn't the current patch have bugs like the geosphere crashing the game and such? That kind of thing annoys me vastly more than names (in fact, that's part of why i haven't played it). Are you going to fix those?

Nice, progress looks good from what I've seen and heard.

I was always hoping somebody might pick up and improve the FE3 patch. Sadly, it's beyond me since my SNES hacking is pitiful and RPGuy vanished with all of his text editing tools XD

Nice, the font seems really pleasant compared to the original.

I also happen live in the PAL region but the NoA names sound much more believable to me. Oh well, the names aren't really of that high priority.

Nice, progress looks good from what I've seen and heard.

I was always hoping somebody might pick up and improve the FE3 patch. Sadly, it's beyond me since my SNES hacking is pitiful and RPGuy vanished with all of his text editing tools XD

Speaking of which, did you make new tools or are you hex editing everything manually?

Speaking of which, did you make new tools or are you hex editing everything manually?

Hex editing manually. I have not used tools for FE1 either and I'm no experienced programmer nor rom hacker. Just think of me as a fan who wanted stuff done and took matters in own hands ^^'

I didn't know about the Geosphere crashing though. During the book 1 playthrough I haven't used it once anyway, should have -.- But I'll try this. If it is anything non-text related, though, it's very likely beyond me and I'd need someone experienced to look at it.

About the outline colour, in the tile editor I kept the same colours as the old font. I could mess around with this and see how it looks.

Book 2 is done till chapter 15 so far. I also noticed two errors in the script: I misspelled Rickard as Ricard and I didn't make a distinction between dragons and wyverns. I have fixed Ricard -> Rickard already and I will do my best to fix the dragon->wyvern issue.

I don't know if anyone has played yet, but please let me know if there are any issues. Progress is going well and the main limiting factor is my playing speed :p

By the way, I tried the Geosphere in book 1 and it worked just fine. If anyone knows of issues like these in the patch, please let me know as well, I will see if it's within my ability to fix it.

Ooh, nifty. Always figured FE4 or 5 would get improved translations before FE3.

And I would appreciate a patch with the American names. Or, at least, one using Navarre instead of Nabarl. That's really the only one of the non-NoA names that bugs me.

Keep up the good work!

FE3 needed less of an improvement, the patch was essentially complete. RPGuy and Vincent left a 9x% complete patch and it just needed some small adjustments (like missing lines).

Okay, I'll work on the American names after finishing (sometime after finishing, that is).

Oh yeah, also the old patch did not have the recruit conversation Est->Abel translated; that's translated now as well.

2hx0yzr.png

This is what shows up when all five spheres are obtained and the binding shield is restored. This screen was taken from a youtube video, in the patch 'ShieldSl' is changed to 'BindShld'. But I'd like to alter the wording so that it will fit within the box. Does anyone have suggestions which I could use instead of 'restored!'?

This is what shows up when all five spheres are obtained and the binding shield is restored. This screen was taken from a youtube video, in the patch 'ShieldSl' is changed to 'BindShld'. But I'd like to alter the wording so that it will fit within the box. Does anyone have suggestions which I could use instead of 'restored!'?

Ouch, that looks tough...

Maybe "back", "is back" or "get"?

Edited by VincentASM

2hx0yzr.png

What about "Fixed", as in "BindShldfixed!"?

this is a long shot, but is there any chance of being able to throw a line break in there? the text box looks like it has a lot of vertical space to spare, so if line breaks are possible that may be the best way to go about it

(otherwise, i concur with the "fixed" suggestion)

I think its good your editing the translation i hate the current one every time i look at marth's info it hurts to see his name as mar but a longer name like navarre fits.

Haha hate to break it to you, but that is not fixed. Not yet, at least. I am looking at it. The name is cut out because of the icon for the Fire Emblem / Binding Shield taking up two spots of the name bar of Marth, even when he has not received it yet. If Marth's name were longer, this would happen:

2madco.png

So it is really only those two spots (when he hasn't received the Emblem yet, those two spots will be blank in fact). That means I have to somehow move those two spots up so that the blank spots are behind Marth's English name.

Does anyone have a save file right before you restore the binding shield? (i think its before you fight hardin but I'm not sure

I think I can fix the Binding Shield restored problem

Edited by joesteve1914

Does anyone have a save file right before you restore the binding shield? (i think its before you fight hardin but I'm not sure

I think I can fix the Binding Shield restored problem

I have already fixed it ;) Thanks for the offer!

Anyway, all dialogue has been completed now. Foolish me thought you could discard star fragments / a sphere, therefore I had no way of testing the bad ending of both chapter 14 and 20. It would require me to play through the whole of book 2 again, but I think I'll let someone else test that dialogue :p

I tried changing the text colour, to make it look better against the blue background, but these were the only colours to make the text look good, so I can't change much about that.

Also I could not fix the 'Mar' -> 'Marth' problem. But I know there are more experienced hackers than me on these forums. Maybe someone is willing to look into this.

Furthermore, the title screen is compressed and since my assembly knowledge is downright pathetic, I'm not able to translate the title screen either. So those two things will not be done by me at least.

The only thing left to do is the class scroll at the beginning and the ending of book 2 so... expect a new patch soon :)

Hm, I think I should be able to help with the title screen. I'm not a graphics guy nor do I speak/read Japanese, so if someone could get me translated versions of the title screen components I'll see what I can do. might be a few days since I'm going to spend the next 2 days moving.

i'll volunteer my services to try and whip up a translated title screen. as i recall fe3's title screen logo is pretty simple so at the very least it'll induce far fewer headaches than when i was fucking around with fe6's :P