Updated Mystery of the Emblem Fan Translation [version 0.14 released]

Quirino

The current patch doesn't work with ZSNES. I also would like to see a patch with American names.

Also, can I get any help about the ZSNES issue? The patched ROM won't run, unless I'm using the wrong ROM. Any help?

ZSNES is a buggy, broken mess of an emulator. Don't use it. Use SNES9X, it's much better.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So about this.

8LngKDx.gif

Again, I'm not 100% sure how accurate of a translation this is, but at least now I know how to edit those messages!

FYI, the messages aren't actually stored like regular text. The raw tile data for these messages is 56 bytes at 0x01471A.

I can tell you that the "Level up!" (or more accurately, "Lvl Up!") message is an accurate translation, and I'd be legitimately surprised if the item message didn't read "Got an item!" or something to that effect.

I don't know if this would be insertable, but here are some prettier-looking alternatives that don't have the whole abbreviation text mash going on:

post-5296-0-67406000-1473226814.png

Featuring four variations of the "level up" panel, and two versions of the "item get" panel, so there are multiple options in case some of them don't suit your preference.

post-5296-0-67406000-1473226814_thumb.png

Edited by Topaz Light

I decided to visit this page for real to see all the changes it made and I found a few typos and glitches in the Book 1 opening and at the end of chapter 1.

xUDwXbD.png

"Siser" instead of "Sister", minor typo.

LXPBNqQ.png

Started off with a little too much text and some blue popping outside of the frame, then THIS happens. Something to a similar effect happens in the chapter you recruit Bantu in, and it isn't translated either.

CJ2LIem.png

And after all that happened, there's some Japanese characters on the upper part of the screen after the text is all garbled. There's probably more but I'll find more as I play through.

The opening is also in weird, glitchy English, but it was like that in the old one and it would be great to understand it.

Edited by Vaikanfu

Question: Did you actually insert that text in to the game, or are those just mockups?

Mockups. I'm afraid I misinterpreted the statement about them being stored differently; for some reason I thought it meant that they were stored as graphics instead of text.

My bad.

• 2 months later...
  • 11 months later...

Bet you didn't see this coming...

Attached to this post are the patches for the current version of the translation patch. One patch for headered v1.0 roms and one patch for headered v1.1 roms (if your rom has no header there are a variety of utilities that can add a header to the rom, find them on romhacking.net). This patch has a lot of updates, including:

-Armory / Item Shop / Secret Shop dialogue
-Book 1 ending
-Book 2 chapter 2 - final
-Book 2 death quotes
-Book 2 ending
-Abel's recruitment talk with Est (which wasn't in the original translation)
-Changed the opening text to semi-readable English (which is unfortunately the best I can do)

Other than this, on the more technical side (ASM hacking), Shinpichu/Robert of Normany has been a tremendous help. Thanks to his work, this translation patch looks a lot more professional and refined and I cannot thank him enough. His contributions include (but are not limited to):
-Inserting the translated title screen
-
Editing Marth's status screen to show his full name instead of "Mar"
-Inserting the "Level up" and "Got Item" messages when animations are turned off
-Fixed the game freezing during the chronology

First of all, I think I owe everyone an apology. I've been very lazy with working on this patch. When the patch was nearly done, except for some of the harder stuff, I disappeared and stopped working on it for a few years. Last year I made a short-lived return but disappeared again. I'm very sorry for the wait, but I hope you will still enjoy the patch.

Second of all, due to me working on the translation on and off for a couple of years, and losing my notes due to my old hard disk crashing, it has been several years since I last tested the text. I will play through the game myself soon, but I intend this release to be an open beta test. If you play the game and find anything missing, any typos or any grammatical errors (I'm not a native English speaker, so grammatical errors will happen), please let me know.

Third of all, the patch assumes the European names when they differ from the American names (Doluna instead of Dolhr, Shiida instead of Caeda, Nabarl instead of Navarre, Akaneia instead of Archanea, Medon instead of Macedon etc.).

To do (theoretically):
-Fix any missing text, typos and grammatical errors
-Update the newly announced official names for book 2 characters (will likely happen at some point)
-Make a separate patch for American names (may or may not happen, depending on the demand and if I feel like it)
-Updating the font to be more aesthetically pleasing (will probably never happen)

fe3.zip

1 hour ago, Quirino said:

Bet you didn't see this coming...

Attached to this post are the patches for the current version of the translation patch. One patch for headered v1.0 roms and one patch for headered v1.1 roms (if your rom has no header there are a variety of utilities that can add a header to the rom, find them on romhacking.net). This patch has a lot of updates, including:

-Armory / Item Shop / Secret Shop dialogue
-Book 1 ending
-Book 2 chapter 2 - final
-Book 2 death quotes
-Book 2 ending
-Abel's recruitment talk with Est (which wasn't in the original translation)
-Changed the opening text to semi-readable English (which is unfortunately the best I can do)

Other than this, on the more technical side (ASM hacking), Shinpichu/Robert of Normany has been a tremendous help. Thanks to his work, this translation patch looks a lot more professional and refined and I cannot thank him enough. His contributions include (but are not limited to):
-Inserting the translated title screen
-
Editing Marth's status screen to show his full name instead of "Mar"
-Inserting the "Level up" and "Got Item" messages when animations are turned off
-Fixed the game freezing during the chronology

First of all, I think I owe everyone an apology. I've been very lazy with working on this patch. When the patch was nearly done, except for some of the harder stuff, I disappeared and stopped working on it for a few years. Last year I made a short-lived return but disappeared again. I'm very sorry for the wait, but I hope you will still enjoy the patch.

Second of all, due to me working on the translation on and off for a couple of years, and losing my notes due to my old hard disk crashing, it has been several years since I last tested the text. I will play through the game myself soon, but I intend this release to be an open beta test. If you play the game and find anything missing, any typos or any grammatical errors (I'm not a native English speaker, so grammatical errors will happen), please let me know.

Third of all, the patch assumes the European names when they differ from the American names (Doluna instead of Dolhr, Shiida instead of Caeda, Nabarl instead of Navarre, Akaneia instead of Archanea, Medon instead of Macedon etc.).

To do (theoretically):
-Fix any missing text, typos and grammatical errors
-Update the newly announced official names for book 2 characters (will likely happen at some point)
-Make a separate patch for American names (may or may not happen, depending on the demand and if I feel like it)
-Updating the font to be more aesthetically pleasing (will probably never happen)

fe3.zip

Awesome, I have a proposition for you. When I have the time, would you like me to show this off in video form?

15 hours ago, Jedi said:

Awesome, I have a proposition for you. When I have the time, would you like me to show this off in video form?

Yes, if you have time for this, that would be a massive help to be able to see for myself where edits need to be made still. That would be awesome :)

On 11/6/2017 at 5:15 PM, Quirino said:

Yes, please use the names for FE3-exclusive characters found in Heroes and the CYL poll. That being said, the superior American localized names are used internationally now through Warriors and Shadows of Valentia, so you should definitely replace the inferior European localized names for broader consistency. There are also other changes from Heroes you might find; you should take a look at the updated FE12 patch and its progress notes or what-have-you for some ideas.

Edited by Cor Leonis

10 hours ago, Cor Leonis said:

Yes, please use the names found in Heroes and the CYL poll. That being said, the superior American localized names are used internationally now through Heroes and Shadows of Valentia, so you should definitely replace the inferior European localized names for broader consistency. There are also other changes from Heroes you might find; you should take a look at the updated FE12 patch and its progress notes or what-have-you for some ideas.

I'm not sure where you got that information from. In Fire Emblem Heroes I still have characters named Shiida and Nabarl, and there are no characters with different names between the American and European version in Echoes are there?

But I'm currently looking into changing the names, so that will likely be version 0.15.

1 hour ago, Quirino said:

I'm not sure where you got that information from. In Fire Emblem Heroes I still have characters named Shiida and Nabarl, and there are no characters with different names between the American and European version in Echoes are there?

But I'm currently looking into changing the names, so that will likely be version 0.15.

I'm pretty sure the only name change in Echoes from the European version is Akaneia to Archanea. Nothing else has been changed. Though, I'm pretty sure with Warriors now Caeda and Navarre are now international.

8 hours ago, Quirino said:

My mistake. Edited my post for clarity—although, it doesn't change much due to Warriors.

Archanea is found in Shadows of Valentia. Caeda and Navarre are found in Warriors. Miscellaneous changes abound in Heroes.

How do the character profiles of Minerva and Michalis refer to Macedon in European Heroes? Any instances of Dolhr? I guess what I'm getting at is…you might as well go all the way and switch everything over to the American localizations. Or create a separate American localization patch like you mentioned earlier but didn't seem too interested in. Whatever floats your boat. I just don't think they should be ignored.

WOAH... I've been following this thread for a couple of years now, and randomly decided to check it status for the first time in a while... and it's pretty much DONE??

Dude, this is awesome, thank you for your hard work (and for using the superior European names)!

This'll be my first Akenian game, can't wait to try this out!!

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, OliKad said:

The patch is pretty good so far, but I did found a really weird glitch in Chapter 6 of Book 1 when recruiting Bantu...

Fire Emblem - Monsyo no Nazo (V1.1) (J)001.png

This isn't a glitch, He's speaking the language of the mamkutes

Been following this thread for a while, and am extremely excited to hear that this is being finished. I can say that my group of friends is extremely excited to try this out, and we would be absolutely grateful if a American name patch was released for this. But regardless, thanks for the hard work!!!

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/13/2017 at 9:35 AM, Cor Leonis said:

My mistake. Edited my post for clarity—although, it doesn't change much due to Warriors.

Archanea is found in Shadows of Valentia. Caeda and Navarre are found in Warriors. Miscellaneous changes abound in Heroes.

How do the character profiles of Minerva and Michalis refer to Macedon in European Heroes? Any instances of Dolhr? I guess what I'm getting at is…you might as well go all the way and switch everything over to the American localizations. Or create a separate American localization patch like you mentioned earlier but didn't seem too interested in. Whatever floats your boat. I just don't think they should be ignored.

Feh. I can just about accept Caeda and Macedon, but in what universe are Navarre and Dolhr superior to Nabarl and Doluna? None, obviously.

Also, the last game to be localised into British English was Awakening. Nintendo's been lazy ever since. I see it less as a "these are the universal names now" than a "we're stupid and lazy and we know you losers will buy it anyway so suck it".

...yeah, I hate "Navarre".

Not opposed to an American patch, of course. Just don't corrupt the extant version with those names.

• 3 weeks later...

I am happy that such a project exists in these times; however, I am having problems even getting it to work.

- I use the 1.0 patch, it loads into a garbled title screen, and won't proceed into the file select.

- I try the 1.1 patch, won't even load the ROM at all.

I can currently assume that the ROM in use is unheadered, and that I will need to rectify this.

Using Snes9x 1.53 atm.

On 21-1-2018 at 4:24 AM, Goat Prince K said:

I am happy that such a project exists in these times; however, I am having problems even getting it to work.

- I use the 1.0 patch, it loads into a garbled title screen, and won't proceed into the file select.

- I try the 1.1 patch, won't even load the ROM at all.

I can currently assume that the ROM in use is unheadered, and that I will need to rectify this.

Using Snes9x 1.53 atm.

You can check the size of the rom to be sure. A headered rom is 3,146,240 bytes, whereas an unheadered rom is 3,145,728 bytes. If your rom turns out to be unheadered, you can use a program like SNEStools or SNEStuff to add one.

On 5-1-2018 at 7:06 AM, Seafarer said:

Feh. I can just about accept Caeda and Macedon, but in what universe are Navarre and Dolhr superior to Nabarl and Doluna? None, obviously.

Also, the last game to be localised into British English was Awakening. Nintendo's been lazy ever since. I see it less as a "these are the universal names now" than a "we're stupid and lazy and we know you losers will buy it anyway so suck it".

...yeah, I hate "Navarre".

Not opposed to an American patch, of course. Just don't corrupt the extant version with those names.

The patch with the European names will remain under any circumstance. Since there seems to be interest for a patch with American names, I may add that in a future update.

On 10-12-2017 at 5:00 PM, OliKad said:

The patch is pretty good so far, but I did found a really weird glitch in Chapter 6 of Book 1 when recruiting Bantu...

Fire Emblem - Monsyo no Nazo (V1.1) (J)001.png

Oh that doesn't look good indeed. I will have a look at that and fix it! Thanks for reporting it.

Edited by Quirino