Updated Mystery of the Emblem Fan Translation [version 0.14 released]

Quirino

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was always hoping somebody might pick up and improve the FE3 patch. Sadly, it's beyond me since my SNES hacking is pitiful and RPGuy vanished with all of his text editing tools XD

Not entirely! I use and love your site and pop into the forums occasionally. I've just been too lazy to create a forum account, but I can't pass up now that I've seen this topic.

Great to see somebody updating our patch! If I can provide any help (without doing any, y'know, real work), let me know. I still have my (old, ugly, written in perl) tools on a hard drive somewhere.

I didn't know about the Geosphere crashing though. During the book 1 playthrough I haven't used it once anyway, should have -.-

I never knew about that either, for the same reason. Not sure how I screwed that one up.

And still figuring out what RPGuy did to mess up the ending so badly hehe.

I'm pretty sure I know what happened here, and it's just in the last version I released - I never ran into it when I was actually playing. I think it's a typo in my ending inserter that either screws up a pointer or offsets the text. I'll look into it.

Just think of me as a fan who wanted stuff done and took matters in own hands ^^'

That's exactly what motivated me several years ago. :)

I'm pretty sure I know what happened here, and it's just in the last version I released - I never ran into it when I was actually playing. I think it's a typo in my ending inserter that either screws up a pointer or offsets the text. I'll look into it.

Yeah, I know what went wrong here. somebody forgot to insert a formatting/spacing character in that ending text.

I happened to have fixed it already (since Quirino asked me to look into that along with some other stuff):

FE3_012_2005_zps4cbb0ab1.png

Edited by shinpichu

Yeah, I know what went wrong here. somebody forgot to insert a formatting/spacing character in that ending text.

I happened to have fixed it already (since Quirino asked me to look into that along with some other stuff):

FE3_012_2005_zps4cbb0ab1.png

Oh, cool, because I finally found my old stuff (3 hard drives ago!), and I didn't relish looking into it any further. Glad you fixed it.

Probably the only thing that could possibly be useful is my insert all script, because it contains everything I changed. So if you want to know where the battle animation menu lives so you can update it, you can find it in here. (It's possibly easier to just search the ROM...)

http://pastebin.com/dPra6NJb

Not entirely! I use and love your site and pop into the forums occasionally. I've just been too lazy to create a forum account, but I can't pass up now that I've seen this topic.

Aha, I see! Well it's great we managed to snare you and it's nice to see you around again : )

I felt a bit silly when I had no means to contact you, besides via FESS. (Which as you may know has vanished/got locked down more times than I'd like to count.)

So I always dramatically mention your name whenever there are topics like this XD

So I always dramatically mention your name whenever there are topics like this XD

let's face it, i'm fairly sure i'd do the very same if the people i'm working with for fe4/5 seemed to do anything resembling vanishing. "oh, woe is me! i'd love to finish fe4 but gringe/amielleon/mp2e/joesteve completely vanished off the face of the earth! the game is doomed! doooooooomed!" :P

Edited by bookofholsety

For the Armored Knight/Footsoldier Knight thing... Well, it's my personal opinion that you should keep the armored Knights as having the "Knight" name, if you're going to be keeping the names consistent with the official translations otherwise.

As for what to call the dismounted Cavaliers/fliers... Hmm...

Squire, Fencer, Infantryman (probably won't fit, maybe just Infantry?) and Swordfighter/Swordsman (since the class that had that name in Japanese is officially Mercenary/Myrmidon (which are you going with, by the way?)) come to mind immediately as options, although some of them are a bit contextually-odd. I kinda think Fencer or Squire would fit best, though.

Alternatively, you could just remove the change in class name and call them both "Cavalier", although that would definitely be a divergence from the source material.

Of course, you could always call the armored Knights "Armo(u)r Lance", like they call the lance-weilding variants in Radiant Dawn, but that would sound really weird without there being other weapon-using variations.

EDIT: It just occurred to me that Guard is also a possible name to assign to either class. It fits the purpose of the Armor Knight class arguably better than the official translation "Knight" does, and it also... doesn't sound... completely out of place for dismounted Cavaliers? I dunno, just a suggestion.

Edited by Starlight36

• 2 months later...

So i was playing FE3 recently and I noticed that the text that pops up when you turn animations off is untranslated.

[spoiler=Current Patch]4a6HMNB.pngs6ywes3.png

These pop up when you get a level up and when the enemy drops an item, respectively.

I'd like to take a crack at seeing if I can't get these translated, or at least find where their text is located, but I don't read/speak Japanese so I'm at a loss for what they actually say. I assume it's something like "Level Up" and "Got an Item!" or something like that.

Here they are in the original Japanese, for reference:

Rdiz0hh.png6cKF8yp.png

Also, here's a patch that fixes the Marth name/status screen thing for anyone who wants it. Just apply it to a ROM that's already using the translation patch. (I think it should work with the old patch too, but i haven't tested it, so caveat emptor)

What about if we go with the armor class as "Knight" since it's the official localized name and maybe for the dismounted class as "Dismounted Knight"?

Besides that, I also don't see anyone mention in this thread that we need change five more things left to their official localized names from Awakening that were from Mystery of the Emblem are Hero-King (Marth's title), Dragon's Table (Medeus' lair), Wyvern Valley (It was mentioned in the name chart), Bull (Cain's title), and Panther (Abel's title).

So i was playing FE3 recently and I noticed that the text that pops up when you turn animations off is untranslated.

[spoiler=Current Patch]4a6HMNB.pngs6ywes3.png

These pop up when you get a level up and when the enemy drops an item, respectively.

I'd like to take a crack at seeing if I can't get these translated, or at least find where their text is located, but I don't read/speak Japanese so I'm at a loss for what they actually say. I assume it's something like "Level Up" and "Got an Item!" or something like that.

Here they are in the original Japanese, for reference:

Rdiz0hh.png6cKF8yp.png

So about this.

8LngKDx.gif

Again, I'm not 100% sure how accurate of a translation this is, but at least now I know how to edit those messages!

FYI, the messages aren't actually stored like regular text. The raw tile data for these messages is 56 bytes at 0x01471A.

What about if we go with the armor class as "Knight" since it's the official localized name and maybe for the dismounted class as "Dismounted Knight"?

Errr, let's not, if for no other reason than that there's no way that's going to fit into the space allotted on the status screen even with a variable-width font.

Personally, whatever you end up going with for dismounted Cavaliers, I'm against changing the name of the Knight class, especially if you're going for consistency with official translations. "Knight" is what the class has been called in almost every officially-translated Fire Emblem game, the sole exception being Radiant Dawn, so it'd just be weird to change it now for such a small reason.

By the way, how about "Trooper" as the name for dismounted Cavaliers? I know it's not really very fancy or anything, but I feel it works just fine, and it'll definitely fit into the space limits.

Errr, let's not, if for no other reason than that there's no way that's going to fit into the space allotted on the status screen even with a variable-width font.

Personally, whatever you end up going with for dismounted Cavaliers, I'm against changing the name of the Knight class, especially if you're going for consistency with official translations. "Knight" is what the class has been called in almost every officially-translated Fire Emblem game, the sole exception being Radiant Dawn, so it'd just be weird to change it now for such a small reason.

By the way, how about "Trooper" as the name for dismounted Cavaliers? I know it's not really very fancy or anything, but I feel it works just fine, and it'll definitely fit into the space limits.

Really, I seemed to forgot about that the limit of the space, but, Trooper sounds good enough.

• 1 year later...

Comeback time.

Due to life commitments I pulled the disappear act two and a half years (I think) ago. I haven't looked at it since but I want to finish what I've started so I'll work on it. I haven't done anything for the duration of which I disappeared, so I'll have to familiarize myself with everything again, but that shouldn't take too long.

Left to do:
* The ending needs some work done to it, it was a mess when I looked last

* Implementing the (mainly graphical) work that shinpichu made

Seems easy right? Give me a while because my study is keeping me busy, but I'll try to release it sooner than 2 and a half years from now :)

Edited by Quirino

Comeback time.

Due to life commitments I pulled the disappear act two and a half years (I think) ago. I haven't looked at it since but I want to finish what I've started so I'll work on it. I haven't done anything for the duration of which I disappeared, so I'll have to familiarize myself with everything again, but that shouldn't take too long.

Left to do:

* The ending needs some work done to it, it was a mess when I looked last

* Implementing the (mainly graphical) work that shinpichu made

Seems easy right? Give me a while because my study is keeping me busy, but I'll try to release it sooner than 2 and a half years from now :)

Well, it's nice to see you back! :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Wow, I forgot about this. I'm really excited for this to be completed! I've never played FE3 before, but I plan on giving it a try when this is complete :)

Wow, I forgot about this. I'm really excited for this to be completed! I've never played FE3 before, but I plan on giving it a try when this is complete :)

I really recommend playing it when this patch is finished. It's one of the best FE games story wise. I also recommend FE 12 if you haven't tried it yet.

I really recommend playing it when this patch is finished. It's one of the best FE games story wise. I also recommend FE 12 if you haven't tried it yet.

Yeah, I have played FE12 so I'm familiar with the story.

I agree, it has a really great story. It's more than just you're usual "bad kingdom invades good kingdom" story that a lot of the games seem to follow.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Quick question about the patch.
Has anyone else had difficulty getting this patch to work on BSNES? For some reason, when I try to patch any rom with either version 1.0 or 1.1, the game either loads the "Nintendo Presents" logo, goes to the blank screen and does nothing until I press start, and takes me to the title screen. When I press start again, the screen goes black and nothing happens unless I restart the game. I've checked the roms to be unheadered, but even adding one with SNES tools didn't help my problem. I'm genuinely puzzled as to what's going on with this, I've patched FE4 with the most recent version of the patch and it runs fine, same with the patches for FE6 and FE12, but FE3 is giving me issues. I'm using LunarIPS to patch. Am I doing something wrong and I'm not realizing it?

UPDATE: I figured it out, somehow. It works on ZSNES too.

Edited by Vaikanfu

• 1 month later...

The current patch doesn't work with ZSNES. I also would like to see a patch with American names.

Also, can I get any help about the ZSNES issue? The patched ROM won't run, unless I'm using the wrong ROM. Any help?

Try digging around for a 1.1 version of the rom. I haven't found any 1.0 roms that work with the 1.0 patch, but I found a 1.1 that does. It works on ZSNES last time I tried, too.