FE Lords Tier List

DarkCrusader

Well it's your list, so do whatever you're comfortable with!

It doesn't change a whole lot honestly, its just in LTC play units are generally stuffed with good levels are are overlevelled to boot, and are generally only better because they have a horse or something. Eliwood has pretty mediocre averages and can struggle to get levels in any kind of play, but if he gets lots of good levels early on he becomes a lategame juggernaut.

On the other hand, you could have an eliwood promoting in Night of Farewells (thats when you get the second heaven seal right?) with 12 strength and speed or something and be totally garbage.

And yeah, i'll echo what Marty said above, it becomes more "hey you move far, top tier!" or "Hector has too much con, low tier" It so happens that most of the mounted lords are among the best statistically too, but the Eliwood thing still comes into play.

Edited by General Horace

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

that's not really an easy line to objectively draw, though

i mean sinking a lot of earlygame resources into roy is probably a really good choice so he doesn't get gibbed by bolting but i don't think anyone would say that's better than like, anything that ephraim does ever

Hmmm... How about some factors to consider as far as criteria is concerned. Like how about this?

• Base stats
  • Movement
  • Combat ability plus overall durability
  • Growths
  • Support utility (like Leif's leadership stars for example)

Another factor to consider is how much resources do they need? If they need to have all the items in their game stuffed down their gills then I'd count that as a negative. I personally don't count items like Crusader Scrolls or Star Orbs / Spheres (whatever you call them in FE 3) as a positive for units since we ought to look at the character's merits themselves.

Take it or leave it, just food for thought.

I see. Though I feel you should put him in a "can't comment" tier or something so people who can comment can give feedback, and indicate that the FE3 Marth is Book 2.

Just did that. Thanks. :)

Scrolls and orb fragments are pretty easy to trade around compared to FE4 rings though.

This is definitely true, not denying that. However, does said lord NEED these things in order to patch up a problem? If yes, then I'd count that as a negative. Ideally these items should be frosting on a cake, not solutions to a problem. Sigurd doesn't NEED any additional items other than a Silver Sword and the Tyrfing (he's the only unit in the Gen. 1 army that can use the Tyrfing anyway) to beat Gen. 1.

If FE 3 Marth needs orb fragments then I'd count that as a negative against him. If he doesn't, then goodie. Orbs can be given to anyone in that game iirc so it doesn't say anything special about him.

Edited by Red Fox of Fire

"it can be given to anyone" isn't a really good argument to make

there are clear cases when

unit A with X resource + unit B

is strictly better than

unit A + unit B with X resource

even if unit A without X resource is nothing spectacular. a good case would be giving the first heaven seal to eliwood vs lyn in hector mode. mounted eliwood + lyn makes eliwood way better (he gets a horse and his combat effectiveness increases by more than i think most people expect), but eliwood + bow!lyn is only a marginal improvement (woo, we go from being locked 1-range to being locked 2-range!)

in this case, why should it be taken as a negative that eliwood wants the first heaven seal? if anything, eliwood should get more credit for it (or lyn less) because he allows you to get more value out of the same resource

there are also the obvious cases when unit A is good/great and unit A+X becomes amazing (as opposed to unit B being okay/bad and unit B+X being merely good) but that's another story for another time (mostly because then the choice is obvious)

additionally, it doesn't take into account things like fe4's rings that pretty much just fall into sigurd's lap by virtue of him being amazing anyway. That would have little to no effect on his placement in particular, but it's the rare (only?) case where this directly corresponds to celice's performance. Should it really count as a negative in such a case where it takes more effort for someone else to use it?

Edited by CT075

Another thing about Celice is that he doesn't need to hold on to some of his resources for that long. For instance, with the elite ring he can easily promote after chapter 6, and once he's promoted he can just sell it off. The benefit of having a promoted Celice is so much greater than the benefit of giving anyone else the extra experience, and he only needs the resources for a very short time to reach his full potential. I think Celice should probably be second after Sigurd on the list.

Edited by MartyTheDemonSlayer

Maybe it could be something like "to what extent the lord trivialises the (section of the) game they're in by themselves". Identify what they can do, what their weaknesses are and what resources they have at their disposal.

FE Lords Trivialization Tier List, starring Cam, who actually showed up.

If that's the case, then I imagine Lyn and Roy represent bottom tier pretty well, but should we consider Lynmode?

Maybe it could be something like "to what extent the lord trivialises the (section of the) game they're in by themselves". Identify what they can do, what their weaknesses are and what resources they have at their disposal.

Even then Celice is too low. He fucking rapes chapter 6 axeland with daddy's silver then promotes by chapter 7. By chapter 7 he has stats he can take all the way to the prologue. On a horse. With high as fuck res. This is all before he grabs the Tyrfing then becomes effectively immortal for the prologue where it's high res or GTFO.

FE1 Marth could probably afford to move down a tier. He's definitely one of the better units in the game, but he doesn't really do anything that breaks the game. (He's basically locked to 1 range, has only around average durability, and his offense is only average aside from early-midgame Rapier hax.) I agree with Horace that that game mechanics help Marth a little more than his FE3 counterpart, but the differences are slight enough that they are pretty much the same character.

FE1 Marth could probably afford to move down a tier. He's definitely one of the better units in the game, but he doesn't really do anything that breaks the game. (He's basically locked to 1 range, has only around average durability, and his offense is only average aside from early-midgame Rapier hax.) I agree with Horace that that game mechanics help Marth a little more than his FE3 counterpart, but the differences are slight enough that they are pretty much the same character.

He ORKO's most bosses in a Warpskip dominant game.

I think he's similar to Rutger or Asvel in that regard.

Being locked to 1-range isn't a big deal when Javelins and Hand Axes are too heavy, and magic is weak. Swords are the best weapon type in FE1.

He has exclusive access to Mercurius for lategame, which is even stronger than the Rapier, so I don't see why isn't he hax in the later chapters.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ephraim should rise to Top, since his parameters are really good forever, and 30 effective Mt is sick.

Robin!Lucina should be added to Top. I think she starts ORKO'ing in Lunatic with a +4 Str pair-up.

Eirika should rise because her Rapier is +4 effective Mt stronger than Lyn's Mani Katti when facing WTD, and has a better lategame exclusive weapon than the FE7 lords.

Edited by Xator Nova

ephraim could probably stand to rise higher than fe10 ike now that i think about it

they have similar combat effectiveness except ephraim gets a horse and better 1-2 range (no, wind edges don't count as "good 1-2 range")

I feel FE9 Ike is overrated in this list. His swordlock really hurts him for basically the entire game and one has to rig mag on him to get him nice 1-2 range before ragnell. He has decent combat after promotion at 1 range but that's it until Ragnell imo. Should be in the mixed bag tier. Marth from FE12 is solid, but Horace brings up a good point, what are his actual contributions and what is just feeding him exp for Medeus? It's hard to tell. He can use a Wyrmslayer pretty well if he hits 20-22 AS (after RP with 20) in the dragon chapters to quickly skyrocket his level, but that's fairly unimpressive too. He has the Shield that doesn't let him get doubled by any enemy in lategame (hits 27 AS) and he can use a Brave Sword to ORKO Glower Sorcerers pretty well without taking a counter I suppose. But all of this is stuff other units in High Tier and Top Tier can do too in some way and it takes a lot of skill to use Marth to his full potential, so i don't know to rank him vs other lords in the series. He might be better than Chrom from my experience but that may be because I favor Lucina and neglect Chrom for the Avatar or other units or simply don't know how to use him to his full potential yet.

Eirika is way too low. She's definetely not that bad. She's fast, her Rapier is decent, Sieglinde is pretty good and she gets a mount later on for more move. Roy is too high, he should have his own tier below every other lord in the series. He really is special in a bad way. I personally think Lyn might be better than SD Marth (at least in H2 to H5) because she's really good in her mode like Horace said and I find her useful when ferried for nuking some enemies here and there with the Mani Katti in the maingame. That's probably better than what SD Marth is ever doing, as sad as that is. I'd so something like this:

Top Tier

1) Sigurd
2) Alm

3) RD Ike

4) Seliph

5) FE 1 Marth

Solid Tier

6) Ephraim

7) Leif

8) Chrom

9) FE12 Marth

10) Hector