Metal Gear Solid

ArtoriasAbyss

Alright judging from the fact that no one seems to give a fuck about MGS I don't know how successful the thread will be. I'll keep it brief, let's do this.

ITT we discuss the Metal Gear Solid series. Favorite game in the series, favorite character, best Snake (only right answer is Naked), etc.

My personal favorite (and a lot of other people's) is MGS3. It did a lot in terms of refining the gameplay of its predecessors (especially the CQC)as well as adding some great new features and fleshing out Big Boss's story and influences.

I did a Phantom Pain Thread around the time of E3 2013 that never really got off the ground. I guess this is probably better for being more general.

Also you're definitely wrong because Liquid Snake is the best Snake. His villainy was magnificent.

My favorite is Guns of the Patriots, it was a fitting conclusion (well, at the time anyway, and still chronologically it is one) and I loved all the throwbacks, the mechanics, and it's generally the most fun for me. MGS1 is a close second, it's classic and I think it's really cool to speedrun. After that it's MGS3, which I still like but not to the extent of the others, and then MGS2 is pretty bad. Then I don't feel like ranking the unnumbered games.

Snake Eater was just about everything that made the series amazing distilled into one incredible experience. While everyone had qualms with 2, it was undisputed that Sons of Liberty pushed boundaries at the time. But even today there's that nagging bait and switch that is reflected upon. With 3, there was none of that. It was just balls-to-the-wall action and MGS charm from beginning to end.

While I like Naked Snake a lot, until I get to play Phantom Pain I can't really judge him completely as a character. So it's all about the Solid baybee

I did a Phantom Pain Thread around the time of E3 2013 that never really got off the ground. I guess this is probably better for being more general.

Also you're definitely wrong because Liquid Snake is the best Snake. His villainy was magnificent.

My favorite is Guns of the Patriots, it was a fitting conclusion (well, at the time anyway, and still chronologically it is one) and I loved all the throwbacks, the mechanics, and it's generally the most fun for me. MGS1 is a close second, it's classic and I think it's really cool to speedrun. After that it's MGS3, which I still like but not to the extent of the others, and then MGS2 is pretty bad. Then I don't feel like ranking the unnumbered games.

Liquid was on an inferiority complex driven warpath. Ironically even though he resented Big Boss for being stuck with the "inferior" genes, he ended up proving BB's point that a person is more than their genes, by doing all the things he did.

MGS4 is a controversial one. It definitely improved on MGS3 mechanics, but a lot of the game's segments weren't very demanding in terms of stealth (except for the Shadow Moses part, that was definitely awesome and nostalgic). It also trivialized a lot of stuff from earlier MGS games with the whole NANOMACHINES excuse being used out the ass, it was also the most ridiculously cutscene heavy. I know MGS has always been full of cinematics, but MGS4 went overboard.

And I know it's the unpopular opinion but I actually enjoyed MGS2, at least from a story perspective. The themes like memetics, information control, etc were really interesting. That scene near the end with the Patriots AI was some thought provoking shit.

Alright judging from the fact that no one seems to give a fuck about MGS I don't know how successful the thread will be. I'll keep it brief, let's do this.

uhhh yeah no

Unless you mean here at SF. In that case...I'd still say no. I'm sure.

I am very new to the series, actually. But it has alot of interesting elements going for it, that brought me to the series. I like the bosses and the game's premise (espionage). I've actually been introduced through MGR:R. Loved the game's music and gameplay.

I don't think it's unpopular, really. Everyone loved MGS2, they just complained about having to play a character they didn't like. My friends and I played hours of it perfecting runs and torturing guards. It was a real blast, and just like the first there were so many little secrets and references that you were always discovering new stuff.

I still remember the first time I played the MGS2 demo when I got Zone of the Enders with my PS2. I spent sooooo many hours finding every little nook and cranny in that ship, when I start up a new game in MGS2 I can always blaze through it now like a boss. It's really the only reason I cared to play Ground Zeroes at all. Even though I joined with many others bitching about the price, it kind of reminded me of being a little kid and playing through the demo over and over again to see what I can do.

uhhh yeah no

Unless you mean here at SF. In that case...I'd still say no. I'm sure.

I am very new to the series, actually. But it has alot of interesting elements going for it, that brought me to the series. I like the bosses and the game's premise (espionage). I've actually been introduced through MGR:R. Loved the game's music and gameplay.

Haha, well, Revengeance isn't very much like the others at all. It's probably the least Metal Gear game I've played. It's a lot of fun and all, but the connect to the series proper is very weak.

It's been a loooong time since I've touched any games in this series. I still have an incomplete MGS4 playthrough because it was just too terrible to beat. I guess I'll have to do that someday.

But yes, seconding Esau here. MGS3 is definitely the best, though I have the hugest soft spot for MGS1, so I-I'm still a little torn.

Actual true answer. Liquid is best Snake.

The best two in the franchise I believe would be Metal Gear Solid 3 and Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance.

I find the whole, Ocelot/Liquid concept to be absolutely ridiculous, I wasn't fond of Metal Gear Solid 4 as a product because I felt it wasn't a good contender as a video game but I thoroughly enjoyed watching it as a movie on youtube a lot more than the half hour I spent playing the game dying inbetween endless cutscenes on the PS4.

I do believe Naked Snake as a character has a lot more depth than Solid Snake, and overall I also like the character a lot more. Can't wait to play Phantom Pain as I always love seeing how a story handles having a main protagonist who crosses the line, and judging by Metal Gear 1 and 2, we're definitely going to see Venom Snake bare his fangs.

Metal Gear Solid 2 was the first game i played in the series, and surprisingly its my favourite. The gameplay had a good balance to it. It had a nice difficulty . I even liked the convoluted storyline. I did hate Raiden and Rose, mainly Rose. Raiden wasn't as bad as people made him out to be though.

3s also good, but what do i need to say about that game that's already been said before.

I liked 1. In my opinion it probably had the best atmosphere in the series. I loved the soundtrack to that game. The gameplay was......okay, but i'd choose that over The Twin Snakes over polished gameplay. Fuck Twin Snakes. The final bosses were rad in that game.

4 had really good gameplay. The graphics were amazing. The cutscenes were.....shit. The story sucked (parts of it were ok) but it did end the series well.

Peace Walker is underrated. Probably the most addictive in the series. Online is amazing in that game

Edited by Aizenberg

Haha, well, Revengeance isn't very much like the others at all. It's probably the least Metal Gear game I've played. It's a lot of fun and all, but the connect to the series proper is very weak.

Well, I knew that much. But, to be honest, I really do love the game's setting, gameplay, music and posibly most gresgrasfefewa I can think of.

I mean, I bought the game. Without having a PS3- And I almost bought a PS3, 90% of the reason.

At least you can go out of bounds in Revengeance just like in MGS1.

You can do that in the first gaem?

That's so sad.

On MGR:R:

I'm still rather new to the game. Been watching gameplay videos (MOOOOSSSSTLY boss battles.They're insane). What do you think on the game's combat mechanics? Does it allow place to develop neat combos? I see some people may bash it as a "mindless button-masher", but I think it can be played "well" and more in-depth.

That's so sad.

I'm still rather new to the game. Been watching gameplay videos (MOOOOSSSSTLY boss battles.They're insane). What do you think on the game's combat mechanics? Does it allow place to develop neat combos? I see some people may bash it as a "mindless button-masher", but I think it can be played "well" and more in-depth.

not really

You can do some cool combos but doing the up slash with the sword in your robo foot over and over is by far the fastest way to deal damage against some stuff namely bosses. I never really saw a reason to be all that stylish though.

Being all stylish and tech-skill is really the icing on the cake. It's a way to play the game, probably not even necessary (don't know about higher difficulties). I heard you can't exactly mash your way through on the harder modes, which is perfect, by me. However, starting out on NM just felt a bit too easy. HM felt about right, but RAY was still a bit easy. Bladewolf was mad beast.

LOL as if you can beat Jetstream Sam boss fight by just mindless button-mashing

My favorite Metal Gear game is currently a tie between Snake Eater and Revengeance. Coincidentally, they also had my two favorite support teams in the series. Sigint and Doktor are pretty great.

I saw this get asked, and Rising is absolutely not a button-masher. You can play it like that, but you're terrible if you do. And good luck mashing your way through Very Hard.

Edited by Silent Letters

Snake Eater was just about everything that made the series amazing distilled into one incredible experience. While everyone had qualms with 2, it was undisputed that Sons of Liberty pushed boundaries at the time. But even today there's that nagging bait and switch that is reflected upon. With 3, there was none of that. It was just balls-to-the-wall action and MGS charm from beginning to end.

While I like Naked Snake a lot, until I get to play Phantom Pain I can't really judge him completely as a character. So it's all about the Solid baybee

I loved MGS3 because it completely 180'd once The Boss/The Joy defected.

fyi - favorite MG(S) game was MGS3 but Rising had the most fun I've ever had in a video game.

Edited by Lord Raven

4nbc.png

I'm liking MGS2 more over the years, but I think it's mostly because its topics are becoming more relevant.

Actually it's kind of scary that 5 years after the game takes place in our time so many topics in it have become relevant.

I enjoyed Metal Gear Rising so much, my screenshot library is humongous. It also ought to be the most extensive Armstrong collection that you might find on the internet.

People are mistaking that it's a "button masher" because Platinum succesfully managed to bind most of the combat mechanics into two buttons.

Edited by Ike-Mike

• 4 weeks later...

That's so sad.

MGR is really fun. As far as being stylish it isn't NECESSARY, but then again you can beat most of these types of games (DMC, Bayo, etc) without being stylish, it isn't a necessity. It's more a measure of skill for you to beat the game on the hardest difficulties and look cool doing it. You can't just button mash your way in the harder difficulties (why would you play anything but the hardest? u casul?).

Also is dat sum Lottie you have there?

i could talk about this series for hours. and have with buddies, several times. there's so much to say. but of course, i'm keeping it short.

it's so hard to pick a favorite game. mgs1 is too nostalgic, mgs2 gets better every time i play it (except when you have to babysit ee), mgs3 is...just goddamn, and mgs4 is the most fun for me. but, whenever this question is asked, i typically lean toward mgs4, sometimes mgs3. i've beaten the series nearly a dozen times (not counting mg1 and mg2 and peace walker, which is just once)--i love it to death.

kojima says he feels like he grew up with solid snake (or whatever he really said). i "actually" grew up with solid snake. i was like 6 when i played mgs1. naked snake is fucking awesome, but i gotta say, solid snake is my favorite.

favorite character is a split between gray fox, ocelot, and solid snake.

It's been a loooong time since I've touched any games in this series. I still have an incomplete MGS4 playthrough because it was just too terrible to beat. I guess I'll have to do that someday.

w-what? terrible how?

Edited by Phoenix Wright

MGS 4 is really linear. Like perhaps it was the transition to HD, but it was really noticeable that you were moving in a straight line. A lot of the environments were really cramped, and while it's still an amazing game to me, I could see how someone could look on it unfavorably.