Silith starts hacking.

Silith

First of all I want to make three things clear.

-It's my first time trying to hack.

-I'm not requesting help in hacking.

-It's in a verry early stage.

This thread is here to show you some of my ideas regarding class changes I want to make in the game. I am still very far from creating sprites. Gameplay > Visual. I would love it if you gave feedback so I can change things if my ideas are too stupid.\

Berserker vs Warrior.

These two classes always felt very similar to me. Sure Zerkers are supposed to be faster and warriors more skilled but in the end the one (Zerker) was just always superior to the other (warrior)

++Zerker

-Loses it's critical bonus.

-Gains more base/cap/growth in Str and Speed.

The idea is to make the Zerker a fast swinging hulking beast. If he misses he doesn't really care. He'll just swing some more.

+High str & Spd.

-Low Skl and starting weapon lvl.

++Warrior

-Loses choice to use bows.

-Gains the Zerker's old crit bonus.

-Loses most spd growth.

Warriors become one-shit wonders. Pretty much Dorcas early game but with a crit bonus. He'll pick a target carefully and try to slam him down in one hit. they'll also have a high weapon level giving them more freedom.

+High str, Skl & weapon level.

-Slow spd makes them vulnerable during EP.

++Bows

Snipers and Nomads will get a really low base str and growths (might be 0 on both) while bows themself gain gigantic Mt increases. Overall the growths of both bow classes will be really good aside from str making them a really good Player phase character. Last but not least the sniper class gains a slight critical hit buff to make them more valuable then the nomadic troopers (who lose swords)

++Dark Magic.

Shamans and Druids have been a bit of a powerhouse in the games. They got high damage with slow speeds and low hit chances. I intend to balance them a bit by shuffling stuff around.

-Dark tomes gain more Mt and Hit% but will become 1-range only and weigh the user down a lot. (the logic behind the weight of the tome being that it weighs the user down not physically but mentally (the screams in their heads etc.))

-To add more darkness to the dark magic I intend to have some inflict bad things on the user. (Devil tome comes to mind but I would like to see if I can make it poison the user or something.)

Again the idea is to make it more high risk/high reward then it used to be. Imagine it being a high jump kick with luna effect. If you hit you do tons of damage. if you don't you might not be too happy.

++Generals.

I've always loved the general class in fire emblem but they are hard to balance. On the one hand with their low movement you would think making them good combat units would be logically but if you make them too good and they "tink" all damage thrown at them it's not balanced either. For this one I'm curious what you guys will suggest.

First of all I want to make three things clear.

-It's my first time trying to hack.

-I'm not requesting help in hacking.

-It's in a verry early stage.

This thread is here to show you some of my ideas regarding class changes I want to make in the game. I am still very far from creating sprites. Gameplay > Visual. I would love it if you gave feedback so I can change things if my ideas are too stupid.\

Berserker vs Warrior.

These two classes always felt very similar to me. Sure Zerkers are supposed to be faster and warriors more skilled but in the end the one (Zerker) was just always superior to the other (warrior)

++Zerker

-Loses it's critical bonus.

-Gains more base/cap/growth in Str and Speed.

The idea is to make the Zerker a fast swinging hulking beast. If he misses he doesn't really care. He'll just swing some more.

+High str & Spd.

-Low Skl and starting weapon lvl.

++Warrior

-Loses choice to use bows.

-Gains the Zerker's old crit bonus.

-Loses most spd growth.

Warriors become one-shit wonders. Pretty much Dorcas early game but with a crit bonus. He'll pick a target carefully and try to slam him down in one hit. they'll also have a high weapon level giving them more freedom.

+High str, Skl & weapon level.

-Slow spd makes them vulnerable during EP.

++Bows

Snipers and Nomads will get a really low base str and growths (might be 0 on both) while bows themself gain gigantic Mt increases. Overall the growths of both bow classes will be really good aside from str making them a really good Player phase character. Last but not least the sniper class gains a slight critical hit buff to make them more valuable then the nomadic troopers (who lose swords)

++Dark Magic.

Shamans and Druids have been a bit of a powerhouse in the games. They got high damage with slow speeds and low hit chances. I intend to balance them a bit by shuffling stuff around.

-Dark tomes gain more Mt and Hit% but will become 1-range only and weigh the user down a lot. (the logic behind the weight of the tome being that it weighs the user down not physically but mentally (the screams in their heads etc.))

-To add more darkness to the dark magic I intend to have some inflict bad things on the user. (Devil tome comes to mind but I would like to see if I can make it poison the user or something.)

Again the idea is to make it more high risk/high reward then it used to be. Imagine it being a high jump kick with luna effect. If you hit you do tons of damage. if you don't you might not be too happy.

++Generals.

I've always loved the general class in fire emblem but they are hard to balance. On the one hand with their low movement you would think making them good combat units would be logically but if you make them too good and they "tink" all damage thrown at them it's not balanced either. For this one I'm curious what you guys will suggest.

For the record, I'm not an advanced hacker, nor am I an expert with game balance. However a few things stand out to me. (Wall O' Text coming through)

- Firstly, I think your idea with the Berserkers and Warriors works well. I personally feel Warriors should always have better defenses than zerkers.

(I mean come on, They're running around shirtless! Shirtless!!)

Buuuuuut that could just be me being nitpicky. Wouldn't want to make them too powerful.

- I don't like what you did with Archers. Firstly, If you're lowering their strength, but increasing the might of their weapons, aren't they effectively doing the same amount of damage? I feel as if it's a pointless change and doing so is a waste of your time, as they will be pretty much exactly the same. I think you need to buff archers. A common complaint about archers is that a mage will usually fulfill their role better than they can. My approach is to slightly buff the range of bows so that they can attack from a greater distance without having to waste that precious bolting tome. Effectively making them even stronger during the player phase. Also, I'm glad you didn't give the short bow 1-2 range as that defeats the purpose of archers. Also for the nomads, I don't think taking their sword is the best choice. I feel that The only thing a nomad has over an archer is the movement range. So if you hit them with the Nerf hammer and take away their swords (which they don't get until promotion anyways) they'll be outclassed IMO. And unless you're making FE4 style gigantic maps, 2 movement range doesn't make THAT much of a difference. So they should be able to defend themselves up close with a sword as a niche. (I obviously favor units having niche uses) And if you fear the nomads outclassing archers, You can just lock the longbow to archers so that they have that over the nomads or something. Idk, your game not mine.

- I really like the increased risk/reward you're going for with Dark magic, I've always liked that aspect. However I think you're nerfing them too hard as well. You should at least let them keep the range and also add in some weird quirks like adds poison ailment or something. You don't have to worry about the game centralizing around dark magic like in awakening because Playable shamans/dark mages are usually scarce. Fe7 only had one. (Excluding Athos because he's hax) So that alone balances the. But some things should get nerfed. For example, Luna. That thing breaks the game in so many ways. I like your hi jump kick idea, however i don't know if that could work. Maybe if you're good in asm, you can do it. Idk though. Definitely nerf nosferatu though. That thing can make a scrawny mage more durable than a freaking general. Maybe nerf it's hit or something. I like your idea though.

- Generals are tough. If you increase their range, they outclass other units. If you buff their stats, they outclass other units..It's so hard to buff them without making them op. Maybe if you give them more/ different weapons, it can change the balance. Like a bow armor for example. They exist.

Anyways, sorry about the long post.If you managed to read this without falling asleep, I congratulate you. Note, my opinion is just an opinion nothing more. I don't know much about balancing so I may be wrong about some things.

• 3 weeks later...

The archer idea is honestly pointless and giving shamans/druids 1 range heavy tomes completely cripples them to the point of near uselessness since they'll be utterly raped on enemy phase.