FE8 Promotions

BBM

So I'm trying to create a fun hack where (mostly) everyone is demoted one class (Tier 2s become Tier 1, Tier 1s become Trainees, and Trainees stay the same SO GOOD). I'm leaving archers/healers as they are, and deleveling Gerik and Cormag to level 1 but not demoting them.

To do this, I have to add in some new Trainee classes and fiddle with the promotion branches. My main goals are to do the following:

-make Soldier into a male Recruit, giving it the option to promote into Cav/Knight

-make Journeyman 2 into a new Trainee class that can promote to Myrm/Thief

-change the third promotions of Journeyman/Recruit/Pupil into Merc/Peg/Monk

Where I'm running into trouble is changing the third promotions, and making the new trainee classes auto-promote. Is there any way to do this through Nightmare, FEditor, or any other readily available program, or am I going to have to resort to asm?

EDIT: found that auto-promoting is actually character-locked, not class-locked, so I'm going to add an item that allows trainees to promote. That should fix the second problem, but still no clue how to fix the first.

Edited by BBM

It's hazy since I haven't done this in years but I recall being able to make Summoner a first tier class coming off Pupil so that it could promote to Necromancer using Nightmare modules. I remember that you could assign which class could promote to which classes and make your own promotion branches with that module.

Okay SO after a lot of fruitless attempts in Assembly (thanks Cam for trying to help me) I decided to just make more Trainee classes so that I didn't need any with 3 promos (thanks Shin).

However, a question- in the FE8 Nightmare Class Editor Module, promo gains are listed. However, do these actually correspond correctly? These are the promo gains listed for the Recruit 2 class, and the promo gains listed for Recruit 2 on SF:

54617e6fba88e0450c3fc0a5b20ad3ac.png

HP STR SKL SPD DEF RES CON MOV

0b53d455b67a867698858e74a04daf99.png

Clearly the promo gains listed in Nightmare are for neither the Recruit 3 class (which was listed as the Default promotion) or the Paladin class. So where are they kept? And are the CON/MOV promo bonuses simply calculated through base stat differences?

Edited by BBM

okay so this is not actually promotion related but I don't want to make another thread for every issue I run into.

I replaced some of the unused classes to make my new trainee classes. Take a look at my Recruit (M):

9e18c5250809dc6658f53215a589a242.png

When the cursor isn't on the unit, it's showing the Recruit (F) map sprite, which is the stand-in I'm using until I learn how to sprite/find a spriter willing to create stuff for me. However, when the cursor is on the class/it's undertaking an action, it reverts back to the Tent that was replaced. How do I change the pointers to the same values as Recruit (F)?

Problem ahs been solved externally

[4:20:59 PM] Cam: in the misc map sprite editor

[4:21:05 PM] Cam: change the values under tent to the ones in recruit F

Edited by CT075

• 3 weeks later...

BUMP once again for something nothing to do with promotions

I was trying to create a weapon that steals HP. I thought this would be simple but it's really glitchy for the animation- the animation doesn't show the HP being recovered, although if you look at the HP afterwards it does in fact restore HP. I'm guessing this is because it needs to use a special animation or something like that of the Runesword.

So, my question- if this is the case, how do you assign animations to weapons you make? This is something I've been meaning to do for many of my altered weapons, such as the new ranged Slim Lance, which disappears in mid-air after you throw it.

EDIT: should clarify that I just want to take already existing animations, say, the one Javelin uses and just apply that to the Slim Lance- I don't want to insert my own custom animations or anything, which is what the Ultimate Tutorial seems to be mostly focusing on.

Edited by BBM

You'll want the "FE8 Spell Association Editor" module for nightmare, under Item Editors in the usual downloads; the data there defines what animations, if any, the item uses. The normal module has a lot of stuff unlabeled iirc but it's basically the same as FE7, just at a different offset.

Edited by Vennobennu

Do you meant the Custom Item Animation List? I tried going to one of the entries and then like opening up Slim Lance, and then enabling ranged animation and giving it Javelin #1 but it didn't work.