Any luck with Astrid?

If there is one thing that is bothering me, is how useless Astrid is in Radiant Dawn. I really enjoyed using her and considering she was one of my best units in Path of Radiance, it almost pains me to see her in such a pathetic state. I threw blossom on her in an attempt to increase her gains, considering she has paragon to counteract the exp, but I really don't know.

Is she seriously just dead weight in RD? Because so far it feels like a chore. Plus she is in love with Marcia's brother that I never happened to recruit in PoR. I blame it on Makalov now.

She'll be good if you put the effort in...but you need to put in a good deal of effort.

She has pretty good caps, a horse, and Double Bow access, making her one of the better Endgame units, but that and part 4 is pretty much all the time she has to be good.

As I recently said in another thread, blossom can easily get her to max stats at around Lv10 Silver Knight, in fact I might even promote her early on my next playthrough in order to get the promotion stat boosts and lance access earlier. She only needs some strength to start killing things. She might have low defense but that's not as important for her as it is for a lot of other units since her class means she probably won't be taking hits very often, hit and run with canto. If you really need some strength to kill things then maybe rig a level up using bonus exp but it's probably best to instead throw an energy drop or forged weapon on her since blossom doesn't work for bonus exp level ups. And of course send her with Tibarn in Chapter 5 since his chapters have by far the most exp.

Edited by Jotari

Well if she has some potential, then maybe I will keep working on her. It's just seems that everyone says she is one of the worst units in the game. I'd rather stick it out with my favorites than stomp with the the best, but I don't want them just dying on me is all.

She's hard to train up when you first get her but she is far from one of the worst units in the game. Double Bow is pretty much awesome in a can and being able to use it from horseback is super useful even if you can't use it from three spaces. Another reason to use her is that she has a conversation with pretty much every boss in the Tower of Guidance.

She'll be good if you put the effort in...but you need to put in a good deal of effort.

She has pretty good caps, a horse, and Double Bow access, making her one of the better Endgame units, but that and part 4 is pretty much all the time she has to be good.

^

She's also rather solid, in Part 4. One of the better mounts around. Give her Adept and Javeling forges and you'll see her go.

Well if she has some potential, then maybe I will keep working on her. It's just seems that everyone says she is one of the worst units in the game. I'd rather stick it out with my favorites than stomp with the the best, but I don't want them just dying on me is all.

To be fair she is indeed a bad unit because she requires a hugeton of resources and good level ups and her payoffs aren't really in proportion to what you give her. It's not that she just needs strength to get at killing things, she needs everything Str, Skl, Sp and defenses because she's bad everywhere at base. Like Fiona, her P2 and P3 contributions are so minor that they tend to be non existant. At 2-3 you'll need to rig her level ups and rig killer bow crtkills so she can get a kill or two. The best you can do for Astrid is feeding her kills, BEXP and huge stat gains by 2-3, 2-E (if you wait the turns), 3-9 and 3-11. By 3-E she might be a bit competent but she'll be limited to help either the Beasts or the Hawks because she won't be good enough to mess with the main army. She indeed is good at P4, with forges and Adept Sol kills as Soul said, and by then she can get the main role for 4-2 and 4-5. By endgame she just needs the Double Bow and should already be capped everywhere after so much rig.

Every unit has a chance in RD, but she needs a huge amount of effort.

Well it seems I'm doing it right, just gotta wait till part 4. Too bad I didn't realize the transfer data till after I started. I'm OK with babysitting to a point, like I love est characters as well, it just feels like Fiona bad with her accuracy right now.

Like some people said, give her the blossom skill in 3-11.

She's the only one character, who can have the combo paragon and blossom (Geoffrey excluded). It's really the only way to give her better stats, if you haven't PoR transfer boosts.

Most Laguz can use this combination, but it doesn't help them much besides like Mordecai or something.

I never have issues using Astrid, but I always end up giving her transfers due to how easy she is to use in PoR.

Chances are when I use Astrid, she's the only CRK use past 3-10 (except maybe Callil), so she often promotes for me in 3-11. She ends up capping her level almost always. However, I do love bad units, which is why on one run I got Sothe to a lvl 20 Whisper, and on another I got Ena and Kurth to level 38-40, I forget, through babying.

Of course, nothing will beat my everything-but-strength-capped Micaiah I once had. And the str she had was 20, so she wasn't really hurting for stats

Edited by Maester Indigo

Most Laguz can use this combination, but it doesn't help them much besides like Mordecai or something.

That's actually true.

Never really liked to use Laguz except for Volug and the Royals, so I probably overlooked them.

Well, most transformed Laguz don't get any exp. till the end of part 3.

Volug would the only one real contender for this combo because of his availibility and usefulness (earth affinity).

Though he has access to blossom only in part 4.

Edited by TalesOf Hysteria

The really big issue with Parablossom Astrid...is that that Paragon is better used elsewhere. I tend to strip both Geoffrey and Astrid of their paragons and give em to good units like Marcia.

I never have issues using Astrid, but I always end up giving her transfers due to how easy she is to use in PoR.

Chances are when I use Astrid, she's the only CRK use past 3-10 (except maybe Callil), so she often promotes for me in 3-11. She ends up capping her level almost always. However, I do love bad units, which is why on one run I got Sothe to a lvl 20 Whisper, and on another I got Ena and Kurth to level 38-40, I forget, through babying.

Of course, nothing will beat my everything-but-strength-capped Micaiah I once had. And the str she had was 20, so she wasn't really hurting for stats

If you really want to max out Kurth and Ena's level then just have them solo the Dragon Map by themselves. Throw Ike and Micaiah in the joke point on the right have the two block the choke point. It takes a huge amount of time since they don't attack on enemy phase but it gets the job done in the end.

Edited by Jotari

Poor Astrid really did get shafted. She can rock your casbah with Transfers, Parablossom, and some forged goodness. But alas, thats quite a lot of effort. Ive have good Astrids before. I wouldnt attempt to use Astrid in anything but Easy/Normal.