FE8 Custom Battle Animation Editor Problem

Furyhaven

As stated, my problem is with the Fire Emblem 8 Custom Battle Animation Editor in Nightmare. I have two custom animations, the first a lance user, and the the second is him using magic. The Animations are imported correctly as far as I know, but when I have the character attack with a normal lance (in this situation I was testing with an Iron Lance) he always uses the ranged lance animation, and as per usual if a spell animation isn't selected for a weapon the enemy doesn't take damage until after the battle scene is over.

My other problem is that there aren't enough slots in the custom battle animation editor, which I have read can be worked around. Thing is I don't quite understand what people mean by "make sure to use separators" when I use more than one tab in the editor(more than 4 weapon slots). I also don't know what to put as the battle animation pointer in the class editor. I used these two sections; 8E60630 and 8E60620. I also used 8E60630 as the battle animation pointer in the class editor.

Under 8E60630, I set the four slots like this.

Weapon Type - All Spears/Iron Sword

All Weapons or a Certain One? - All Weapons for a Weapon Type

Animation Played - Spear Animation

Separator - 0

Weapon Type - All Anima/Iron Blade

All Weapons or a Certain One? - All Weapons for a Weapon Type

Animation Played - Anima Animation

Separator - 0

Weapon Type - Javelin

All Weapons or a Certain One? - Custom Animation for a Weapon

Separator - 0

Weapon Type - Slender Spear (**BTW, is this the for the Spear?**)

Separator - 0

Then the 8E60630 is set up like this

Weapon Type - Short Spear

Separator - 0

Weapon Type - FF

All Weapons or a Certain One? - 255

Animation Played - FF

Separator - 255

Weapon Type - FF

Animation Played - FF

Separator - 255

Weapon Type - FF

Animation Played - FF

Separator - 255

I feel like the FF's in the second section are where I am wrong, but I'm not sure what to put there because the only thing that says separator is for All Swords.

Although aside from all this, I decided to test it out without the Magic animation, so I didn't have to use more than one tab in the editor, but I get the same result. That being he still uses the ranged spear animation for the Iron Spear. I'm testing this over Eirika by the way if it is of importance. Any help will be greatly appreciated, and I would be happy to provide any more information that is needed to fix my problem.

Edited by Furyhaven

I feel like the FF's in the second section are where I am wrong, but I'm not sure what to put there because the only thing that says separator is for All Swords.

No, you are right. 0x00 acts as both All Swords AND a separator. So change all those FFs to 00s.

The Nightmare tabs are arbitrarily separated into groups of four--you could just as easily have it in groups of 8, or 12, or whatever. It's just the way they've been made currently. You'll want to use the first pointer (0x8E60620) as that is where all the data starts.

Edited by Agro

Excuse me I was mistaken, my character is still using the ranged Lance animation for the Iron Lance. I changed the digits correctly but for some reason he continues the ranged animation, although the Magic animation works right.

Okay cool thanks, I was wondering about that. I just don't quite understand why my character is using the ranged animation for the iron lance, no matter what I've tried.

If it means anything else, the animation looks correct when you sit at the title screen long enough for it to showcase the classes.

• 2 weeks later...