Getting Supports in No Pair-Up?

isetrh

I want to try playing through the game on Hard with no Pair-Up, no Second Seals since I heard that makes for a much more reasonable challenge than Lunatic. I'm not sure how to go about getting the parents to S though. Does anyone who has done this before have any tips?

Edited by isetrh

Well, you could either have the units stand next to each other for support when attacking... Or grind out supports in the Barracks... Or just not get the kids. They're hardly required for Hard. I consider a much more interesting variation to be maximum deployment/no Second Seals, by the way.

I guess you're right, I don't need the kids. Slower support building might make it a little bit more like the older games, even if the supports are still pretty fast. I will try maximum deployment with no Second Seals too, on my next run. Thanks!

I've done this exact challenge before. It actually feels really balanced and interesting, especially because the kids become important as your parent units can't quite take on the late chapters on their own.

Building supports is not really that difficult. In fact, you're probably gonna build a lot more supports than in a normal playthrough, since you'll have lots of units adjacent to different units as you go along. In this challenge, the dual strike/guard mechanic is pretty much just this games support bonus, except it's limited to 1 range, but that mechanic (as well as the hit/avoid/crit/dodge bonuses) is so strong you want to be taking advantage of it as frequently as possible, and that means you're gonna be fighting adjacent whenever you can. It doesn't take long to max out support gain between two units, and since you're often forced to not fight alongside your ideal partner, you'll probably find yourself building up lots of different supports. It might take a little longer to get the specific pairings you aim for, due to not having people glued together, but it probably won't be that much longer.