Favorite and least favorite fire emblem maps

Nobody

What are your favorite and least favorite maps in the fire emblem series?
My favorite is Crazed Beast, the chapter 25 of Hector Mode
[spoiler=Crazed Beast]RnK25H.gif

I really like its objective, seizing the three thrones with any unit. It feels innovative, and having three different groups of enemies, with 3 bosses, each being the promoted version of the class in each group of enemy is an interesting concept. Then there's the map itself. The southwest with the river and the forests and the lake in the middle make you play it in a different way, requiring flyers, either to rescue drop other units or to fight the enemies themselves.

My least favorite is Geoffrey's charge, in the part 2 of Radiant Dawn.

RDP2C3.jpg

I don't like the idea of having a bunch of weak enemies blocking the way while having to reach the other side of the map. Not having to kill the enemies to get xp makes it boring, IMO, and the then there are important droppable items in the middle of the myriad of enemies that you have to worry about.

Edited by NOBODY

My least favourite is Chapter 3 of FE3 Book 2/FE12. The mountain. Yeah. I think most people hate this map.

[spoiler=pretty big image]FE12_Chapter_3.png

And my favourite would probably be Chapter 5 of FE4. While there is a slog through the desert, this map has far more atmosphere to keep you going throughout the map, unlike the above, and serves as the culmination of the first five chapters of FE4 and does not disappoint. The final map of FE4 deserves a mention, but I dont like the Second Generation as much SO I'M PICKING THIS ONE OKAY.

[spoiler=big image, obviously]%E3%80%8CFE4%E3%80%8DChapter_5_-_Doors_o

Edited by Tryhard

Least favorite would be FE4 chapter 2. While I think FE4 has arguably the worst map design in the series, from what I've seen, this one takes the cake. Actually having to backtrack quite a ways at one point?? Fuck that shit. Not that I'm expecting much better after that one . . . (I really should get back to watching Bal's FE4 playthrough sometime)

Chapter_2.png

As for favorite map... that'll require some thought.

Edited by Levant Caprice

Best: FE10 Part 2 - Endgame Elincia's Gambit - Best defend mission I've played so far and awesome music

Worst: FE13 - Final Grima - The final map in one minute => Pathetic and especially a shame because of this awesome theme, you can't even enjoy to listen

Edited by TalesOf Hysteria

Favorite: Chapter 13 from FE6. It's a nicely done map, the combat and strategies are enjoyable, and recruiting Perceval early is a fun bonus task.

Least Favorite: A tie between Rebirth 2 from FE10 and Chapter 23 from FE13. Splitting the map in half with a barrier is an awful, transparent idea. (I mean, integrating a "showdown" into FE gameplay is hard. To get a main character alone, you're pretty much stuck with "Everyone, stay back. I'm the only one who can damage him because reasons" like FE9 Chapter 27 or having the character dumbly wander off like FE10 Part 1-9. Throwing up your hands and dumping this stuff in a cutscene would be more palatable.)

I'm surprised nobody has said Day Breaks for least favorite.

But I think Raise the Standard from RD is NOT FUN. Mostly part 2, because of FIONA.

Favorite could actually be one of the Showdown chapters, like Rebirth 2. But I think I like almost all of the chapters in Part 4 of RD, like Distortions.

Favorite: FE5 Chapter 14: Open Fire

Lots of things to consider when approaching this one. There is so much stuff to grab, yet there is so little time to snatch everything. Besides, it's a very cool scenario in general.

Least favorite: FE13 Chapter 23: Invisible Ties

A chapter that made me reset halfway through simply because I couldn't believe that all the stupid that in this chapter really just happened. Also, the entire map is just a big pile of yawn: A big, empty square with random enemies charging from all directions.

Edited by BrightBow

Best: Chapter 19 and 20 of FE12 are very memorable to me. Shoutouts to FE10 2-P for being unique in the series.

Worst: Chapter 3 of FE12, Chapters 1-3 of FE11 H5, Chapter 18 Sacae FE6, every single map in Fe4 are all contenders but...

Chapters 23 and 24 of FE13 take the cake. They're just completely awful in almost every way possible. From the random enemy placement, to the absurd story, they really excel at being bad. At least Chapter 24 looks pretty but damn Chapter 23 doesnt even have that.

Edited by PJSalt

I like FE5 Chapter 22 done slow. The three commanders give massive enemy morale and there's a lot of shit flying around which is perfect.

Worst chapter might be...4-3 in FE10. Sure there's no fog of war but both Leanne and Micaiah are squishy and reinforcements don't come from a single area.

FE5 has a lot of great maps, but chapter 14 is one of the worst.

The only flaw I see is that I would've put cavalry instead of Armorknights on the enemy side. Other than that I'd also say it was a great map. It's a defensive based map, a siege no less, with a lot of reinforcements from different factions and a lot of fun mini objectives during the chapter. And you can't cut turns or stop reinforcements out of it by killing everything/the commanders on the map, which I've found pretty lame in the later games.

If anything perhaps Paulus deserved a higher Magic stat or an outright immunity to prevent putting him to sleep so easily. Same for Baldack, but like I said why not put him as a cavalry, and Freege's main force are Mage Knights anyway.

But please explain your thought. You've piqued my interest.

Edited by Woodshooter

Favorite: FE2 Final Map. Lots of tough enemies, solid atmosphere, and awesome music make it take the cake for me. It really concluded everything on a pretty great note.

Least Favorite: FE3/12 Chapter 3 is the worst ever.

I have to agree that the last few chapters of Awakening's story feel exceedingly lazy and uninteresting. Though that might be in part because I'm usually almost done with everything and ready to start a new file at that point.

And you can't cut turns or stop reinforcements out of it by killing everything/the commanders on the map, which I've found pretty lame in the later games.

But please explain your thought. You've piqued my interest.

mlbSqFq.png

i must have posted this screenshot like, 10 times before, and still no one knows how to trivialize this map. what the heck. there's nothing even remotely tricky about defending tahra, and the only mildly strenuous sub-objective is sneaking dean past enemy lines so he can grab resire. the dragon lance is a stupid sub-objective because it requires either a warp use or some blatant RNG manipulation.

Edited by dondon151

FE12 ch20 is a fantastic map. It employs reinforcements in the appropriate manner, has all sorts of neat subobjectives, and there are so many realisations and small touches to the design that all fit together to allow for quick clears. Hardin's battle theme is awesome, as is his death. Fuck yeah. It might take some time for how much I enjoyed this map to really wear off.

OTOH, FE12 ch20x on Lunatic is hands down the least fun map I've ever played in any Fire Emblem game, ever. I say that fresh off beating it. Chapter 3 is just a slog, this was bullshit. I may as well just quote myself out of the playlog thread.

I'm not even going to post a full update for 20x. This map has to be one of the worst designed maps in the entire series, did they even playtest this map on lunatic? Why were they stupid enough to put FoW maps into a game that has no FoW alleviation tools? The previous FoW gaiden at the very least had relatively weak enemies, so it wasn't that annoying, but get to this point and you're getting sniped through walls by forged Longbow Snipers you can't see, Eremiah is raining hell down on you with her Siege tome, all the Berserkers and Generals have near capped stats and 1-2, and don't like to move out of chokes unless they can kill you. Wow, great, brilliant, 10/10, it's totaly not trial and error, not at all!

I have zero regrets saying I went and looked up enemy positions after having to reset a few times, then savestated in this chapter because its so fucking bad. Spammed fortify and physic with Merric and Feena from the start of the map whilst I moved up with everyone else. Got both the chests, got Marth some kills. I don't doubt theres a good way to do this map in LTC or whatever the fuck but this is one step too far, especially when you have to do stupid shit like draw your movement arrows properly to not get cockblocked.

And the less said about this awful assassin subplot the better, I'm glad it's done with. What hilarity that one of the best chapters in the game is immediately followed by one of the worst. Ugh.

HM to FE10 3-E as well for being the most boring thing I've ever had to do in a videogame ever.

Edited by Irysa

mlbSqFq.png

i must have posted this screenshot like, 10 times before, and still no one knows how to trivialize this map. what the heck.

Move Leaf and Nanna up two spaces and Fin two for a better chokepoint that also allows the northern knights to gain Charisma bonus.

I just have tanky axe units with Hammers by the four holes dug up by the Freege so that I can clear the map eventually. Different styles, but I enjoy taking out the trash and get rewarded for it.

Move Leaf and Nanna up two spaces and Fin two for a better chokepoint that also allows the northern knights to gain Charisma bonus.

i'm not dumb enough to have not tried that. moving finn up prevents my staff users from moving around.

finn also gets more EXP this way with growths and he faces close to 1 hit even with 0% growths.

EDIT: fred and glade don't want the charisma bonus because they want to be hit every turn.

Edited by dondon151

Least favorite would be FE4 chapter 2. While I think FE4 has arguably the worst map design in the series, from what I've seen, this one takes the cake. Actually having to backtrack quite a ways at one point?? Fuck that shit. Not that I'm expecting much better after that one . . . (I really should get back to watching Bal's FE4 playthrough sometime)

Chapter_2.png

As for favorite map... that'll require some thought.

You're outta your damn mind. Chapter 2 is the only dickish map of FE4, if only because you have to make Arden travel across the map for pursuit ring and backtracking.

Anyway, favorite map is definitely Chapter 11 (Epilogue) of FE4. Holy shit the atmosphere. Few things feel better than sending Tyrfing!Seliph to massacre an army of mages by his lonesome. Coupled with the fact that every holy weapon bar Valflame makes an appearance along with the appropriate title of "The Final Holy War", then finishing Julius with Julia, it all just feels so... epic.

Huge image incoming.

1000px-FE4Final_-_The_Last_Holy_War.png

Least favorite? Gonna go with every desert ever. Awakening's gets a special call out for being especially bland by virtue of being Awakening's maps. Except for Laurent's chapter, that one is cool.

My favourite has to be Thracia 776 chapter 5 "Mother And Child" because i enjoy chapters with two objectives in this case rescue nanna before she gets crit by the damn berserker and get the hell out of there. As for least favourite probably all of lyns chapters and chapter 7 from fire emblem sword of seals stupid Treck getting hit all the time by 45% hitrate lances.