Is an enjoyable lunatic run possible?

nolan

Enjoyable meaning a reasonable challenge where I don't have to rush galeforce on as many units as possible and I have some flexibility on pairups. For reference: I enjoyed my hard-classic playthrough and tried out galeforce on a few units. Honestly, it became boring and way to easy. I'm okay with grinding some for lunatic, but I'm wondering if I can play lunatic-classic without having to follow a strict pairup guide. I know the simple answer would be yes, I'm just hoping to get some feedback and tips from you lunatics.

Depends on how good you are. The more ability that you have to deal with shitty situations, the more flexibility you're going to have with pairs and such. If Hard mode is too easy for you, you can probably handle Lunatic.

Earlygame is the place where you have to adhere the most to standard strategies, but once you have a few Chapters to train and build towards your desired loadout, you can take it from there.

The one piece of advice I'll give -- since many people have this problem -- is to be careful not to train too many units in Lunatic. That's the surest way to give yourself indigestion, because you can't keep up with the enemy stat scaling if you are spread too thinly. The specific units that you use aren't super-important; even Donnel and Ricken are usable if you are patient, but full deployment will kill you dead.

Are you saying to pick the few units that I want to use and stick to them? What about when I get to offspring that I want?

Yeah, you want to identify which units you want to actually train, and just focus on those ones. If you are half-training units and then abandoning them, that's going to cause problems, because there is a limited amount of EXP to go around for combatants.

Children are no big deal. Generally if you have a decent team, babying one weak unit is not an issue. The trouble arises when your team is under-powered AND you want to raise people; that's where the wheels come off.

Edited by Interceptor

I see what you mean now. I'm glad you said that because I tend to have a bad habit of half training units. I guess I never noticed the repercussions in lower difficulties. I've done a few playthroughs of Awakening now so I think I have a pretty good grasp on which units I want and which ones I can leave in the corner.

Different people have different definitions of fun, so I can't speak for everyone but I can definitely have fun on Lunatic. Lunatic+, too.

My bit of advice is to be careful with your money management. Especially without the boost from Renown, there are several useful big-ticket items that you can sink your cash into (like a forged Javelin, a Dragonstone+ from Spotpass, or Seals from Anna), but if you try to get them all you could run low on mundane weapons and have to start using the strong stuff you were saving for later (like the Killer weapons). Until Valm starts, be conservative with your cash and don't buy something just because you can (and don't underestimate AT either).