Unconventional Marriage Pairings + Other Questions

Scarf

Hi, I'd like to make a short introduction to say I'm a complete newcomer to the Fire Emblem series. I've been researching different options for marriages and classes for a few days but I still have a few questions that I feel would be best answered from people who have more experience than me.

Is marrying Chrom to Sumia completely subpar in comparison to Olivia? The reason I am wondering is because of Cynthia. Chrom seems to be her best father by FAR, while I think Inigo would be better than decent with Virion as his father. Am I fooling myself? Should I just go for the optimal Olivia + Chrom pairing, and give up on Cynthia? (as I don't think any of her other father options can make her better than the average Gen1 character, correct me if I'm wrong.) Could someone explain to me why Olivia+Chrom seems to be the overwhelmingly popular option, while I think marrying him to Sumia wouldn't gimp Lucina?

I'm having a hard time finding any information aside from contradicting arguments and false information on GameFAQ, which is really hard to follow (and determine what is and isn't false.)

I'm also having a difficult time determining what is an ideal class for my unit, although I know nobody can choose for me. I've seen many people say Dark Flier is ultimately the best ending class for any FeMU, which I don't understand. Galeforce is overpowered, not the Dark Flier class. Wouldn't it be better to gain the ability and reclass? My first thought was to make my character a General, because I think their hulking armor is badass, but I've heard it is a terrible option for the MU considering they have potential to be extremely powerful offensive units (not to mention General gets double-attacked a lot.)

I'm playing on Classic Hard difficulty, so choosing a powerful MU is more important than it would be if I were playing on normal. Could someone help me out on classes, and advise me on good skills (I already have an idea of what skills are powerful, like Ignis, Sol and Galeforce, but insight into others and what skills should be paired together on one unit would be very helpful.)

The only fully "optimized" option which Chrom + Olivia does compared to Chrom + Sumia is the physical attacker Lucina and Luna + Rightful King Azure/Inigo.

Sumia will NOT gimp Lucina. It is simply your preference to what kind of children you want.

If anything, Stahl gives Inigo pretty much what Chrom gives.

Giving Sumia to Chrom gives Aether to another unit AND giving Galeforce to Lucina.

Also included with this is the option to be versatile with a magical mod Lucina with Tomefaire as well as support.

Olivia + Chrom gives Lucina Vantage, but that's if you're running a frontline physical attacker build.

Not exactly dissing that option though.

Just being clear, neither one is OVERWHELMINGLY more "optimal" than the other.

It is literally depending on the role of your units.

Edited by shadowofchaos

Welcome to SF!

Check out the pairing thread. It should be on the front page of the Awakening section. People much more skilled than me will give you advice.

You can kind of do whatever you want in Hard mode. If you aren't grinding then some of the weaker strategies and characters can become a little bit of a challenge.

Whether or not FeMU should be a Dark Flier depends entirely on your Asset/Flaw and husband. Dark Flier is good for its Movement and pair-up bonus in Apotheosis. High Movement and Galeforce are really convenient for ingame.

Inigo is great postgame, but he wants Luna or Vengeance there. For in-game do whatever you feel like, if you really want to use him.

I like to have MU reclass to Mercenary early on. Armsthrift is the best in-game skill after Veteran imo, but bad postgame. Sol from Hero is one of the best procs in-game, maybe beaten by Aether, but the worst besides Lethality for postgame.

Olivia x Chrom is only good if you're willing to grind Olivia.

Thr "best" pairings ingame below L+ are FeMU x Chrom, Morgan and Lucy at A with each other and/or parents, everyone else x bench. That's boring though.

I am going with Chrom!Cynthia for postgame because otherwise she needs Heney who is in really high demand. Ingame Frederick is great for her though.

Edited by isetrh

I heard that Olivia as a wife for Chrom screws him out of the role of being the only 100% DS Aggressor support since he's essentially being paired with a back line support for a support.

I heard the Lucina it gives makes a beastly Assassin postgame though.

I heard that Olivia as a wife for Chrom screws him out of the role of being the only 100% DS Aggressor support since he's essentially being paired with a back line support for a support.

I heard the Lucina it gives makes a beastly Assassin postgame though.

True to both of those, but you're forgetting how awesome Olivia is as a combat unit. Even as a Dancer she is still pretty good. And you can also make her an Assassin and make her and Chrom a combat pair, but you do lose a Dancer. Still though, i would go with Chrom x Sumia.

True to both of those, but you're forgetting how awesome Olivia is as a combat unit. Even as a Dancer she is still pretty good. And you can also make her an Assassin and make her and Chrom a combat pair, but you do lose a Dancer. Still though, i would go with Chrom x Sumia.

I never really thought of using her as an offensive unit. That reasonably high skill as an Assassin could make for a great Astra Swordfaire abuser if you go for the Chrom x Olivia route. She would be quite squishy though and I think the extra rescues and heals would be more appreciated than a regular Galeforce attacker role that the 2nd gen units can fill better than Olivia.

Chrom x Sumia allows flexibility for Lucina (and by extension, Cynthia) in being physical or magical units as they have +0 Strength and +1 Magic stat cap modifiers. The main selling points of the pairing is that Lucina gets Galeforce and that the 2 princesses get strong Skill and Speed stat cap modifiers -- +4 and +5 respectively. Aether works nicely for Cynthia in a high Skill class like Falcon Knight and Lucina can get Lancefaire, Pavise, Tomefaire and Renewal if they are needed depending on which class she ends up as.

Chrom x Olivia is a terrible pairing if it's a no-grind run as Inigo is simply too much trouble to be recruited for what he's worth as Olivia joins at Chapter 11 at level 1 with weak stats. If you're open to grinding, then the pairing gets you arguably the best physical Lucina (outside of possibly Chrom x F!Robin) with a Strength modifier of +2. The big attraction of the pairing is that Inigo gets Rightful King which a lot of players would choose to abuse alongside skills like Luna, Astra and Lethality.

If you don't care much about Inigo having Rightful King, Stahl x Olivia is a worthwhile alternative since Stahl!Inigo gets everything Chrom!Inigo gets except Rightful King. Stahl!Inigo also gets a better Strength mod than Chrom!Inigo does (+3 vs. +2), but has a lower Speed mod than Chrom!Inigo does (+2 vs. +3).

You're killing your unique utility class for another Assassin. I know it's up to the player, but you're limiting your options just for another Brave Sword/Bow user to proc skills that other Assassins with higher STR do better.

And I would think I'd know Olivia's combat potential after doing crap like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsOkHezIRno

Edited by shadowofchaos

If I may insert my two cents, Sumia and Olivia are both arguably Chrom's better wives because of the stats they can give to Lucina -and Chrom gives benefits to both Cynthia and Inigo. Really though, I think it's a matter of preference on what you want to do.

After my first playthroughs and I got used to the game, if I ever wanted Lucina to have Galeforce in a file, I chose Sumia. This way I can take my time with leveling up Olivia instead of rush grinding -and she has plenty of husband options who are great fathers for Inigo. (My personal favourite is Libra btw.)

As for your MU, I don't understand Dark Flier as an end class either (even though I love the class), but who am I to judge how people play the game? Just choose whichever you think is best game play wise. I usually go for Galeforce first so I can get it done and over with, and then do a bunch of different classes so I can get more skills either for future plays or permanent assistance -i.e. Dual Support+

It's all up to you though in the end. : )

Edited by Rohesia

In regards to F!Robin having Dark Flier as her final class, it only seems to be viable in a no-grind speedrun of Hard difficulty and if she's in an S-rank support with Chrom, provided that F!Robin doesn't get RNG-screwed -- it's possible to beat Hard Classic in less than 1 hour of gameplay (F!Robin spends most of her time as a Dark Flier or Dark Knight).

Technically Maribelle is the best wife for Chrom because it creates the best magical Lucina and magic > everything. However it kinda gimps Brady.

Chrom x Sumia master race. Giving out Aether > giving out RFK.

Chrom!Cynthia is literally the closest thing you have to a second Lucina, offensively speaking.

To be blunt, I'd say Olivia!Lucina is probably the least impressive out of the Galeforce Lucinas. Chrom x Olivia is for Inigo, not Lucina.