My first hack: Battle of the Tiers

RandomSwordmaster

i'm legitimately curious what a tooltip could say to make it more clear

you can put all the tooltips in the world on the thing, short of a blinking arrow saying "LEVEL IS HERE" it's not going to make it any more obvious where i'm supposed to go first

Edited by CT075

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, but you're implying romhacking is easier? Like, it's easier to pick up and get started? I do think you have one good point you could argue, which is that if someone has played FE7 or FE8, they can just open nightmare, the character editor, and then edit some stats. Slowly working their way up to PRO HACKER L33T. FEXNA doesn't have an example game (Yet. I'm planning to make my sacred contention thing the example game when it's ready, along with a couple example chaptrs that link together.) so it's a little harder to dive in, but that doesn't make romhacking easier to get into, by any means.

Not to mention how much doc there is on FEGBA roms vs fexna utilities

Well, currently there's NO docs for fexna lmao, but I will be the one writing the ultimate guide for it pre-release. Planning to start work on that pretty soon, actually.

the argument is that xna isn't this magical game creator program that is going to turn every budding would-be hacker's dream into Elibian Nights (especially everyone who's biggest reason for waiting for FEXNA is that "i can code in it" which is ridiculous - any programmer worth their salt is or should be somewhat familiar with C, which you can ROMhack with and if that's too hard for someone then I don't have much faith in their ability to use C# competently either).

there are a number of good reasons to wait for XNA but "it's less work" or "ROMhacking is too hard" aren't among them

Edited by CT075

Well, it'll take comparable amounts of effort, but you can't argue that it won't be any faster if you know what you're doing. Time = half the effort needed to make a game. If you only work on your game an hour a day, every minute counts, and FEXNA will save you many many minutes over the course of making a game.

Like, if you want to edit a character's description while currently editing class stats.

FEXNA: Click the Actors tab, go to the character, type in the description, save, click on the classes tab, done.

Romhacking: Load the character module, scroll down to the desired character. Find the description ID. Open FEditor, open the rom, save the rom, close FEditor. Reopen FEditor, open the rom, go to the ID, edit the description, save the rom. Close nightmare if you haven't already, reopen it, reload the rom, load the classes module, done.

You can't tell me romhacking isn't more tedious. Well, you can, but you're wrong.

Edited by Klokinator

You don't really need to know C# to make a FEXNA game from scratch though. Heck, some of the things that require you to open the code now, like the major configuration file, will be in the editor post-release in an easy-to-understand format. If you plan to make a simple, generic game, it's totally doable.

And, you only have to open up one program to do it all, since all of the editors are integrated together. Just run CoreEditor.exe, and ... that's it!

why are you editing a character's description while editing class stats anyway

That does not in any way at all negate my point.

Edited by Klokinator

it's a) an extremely contrived scenario (which was implication of my question) and b) the absolute worst case in switching between things and is not representative of a process dev actually goes through

being packaged in one executable is valid

Edited by CT075