NCFC 2014: There should be less drama this time, I swear.

Kiddo

Oh jeez, it's been nearly a year since I last actually posted in the forum, and it was about last year's NCFC to boot...

I must apologize. I've been pretty busy with my own life. XP

Anyway, yeah, I made this thread for NCFC 2014.
I know quite a bunch of you were troubled last year by some highly questionable decisions Kesha did, so let me make note of something highly important to know for this year's NCFC:
Much of the old blood behind the NCFC staffing have either retired or gone AWOL, and only Emperor (Web developer, basically retiring) and I (normally Livestream moderator) are left with any regular contact. Henceforth, I was put in the role of appointing new staff for this year's NCFC. In a sense, this makes me the head of NCFC this year.

I'd like to hope that you can trust that with me calling the shots, we won't have any of the,... can I say it? Kesha-isms that have isolated the FE community from the rest of the NCFCers in previous years. Maybe, just maybe, Elibian Nights will come back. Hopefully. ... Pretty please. ;-;

*cough*

Anyway! General info. NCFC will be at the same site as always; http://www.nintendocfc.com/

Staff positions are still open, but I got a few trustworthy people with me now and we're closing in on being ready to announce an opening date. When that day comes, registrations will be open. Just saying this in advance for anyone who might want to produce a demo. I'm hoping to have the event open in early November. (Apologies if the notice is kinda short, by the way.)

You can all use this thread to ask me any questions about the event. In particularly, please let me know of any possible grieviances you may have with the previous NCFCs besides the obvious ones. I'm really aiming to fix as many of the issues NCFC has as I can this time.

I forgot this was a thing, go me

Anyways, congrats on the promotion and hopefully this will be better than last year!

I do hope more Fire Emblem projects will be in this time around...

Also on a completely unrelated note I read the last thread and saw some of my responses

I sounded so stupid xD

Edited by PixelmanFE

So far, so good.

Last night I managed to get some decent progress on the layout graphics for this year, so now I feel safe saying that I aim to have NCFC happen on the week of November 3rd.

If there are any issues with this date, please let me know. :o

• 2 weeks later...

Bump! Registrations are OPEN!

http://www.nintendocfc.com

If you're a newbie to this, here are the steps to setting up a booth:

1) Set up an NCFC account by registering on the forum.

2) Once you do, the main page should have a new option called "registrations". From there, you can choose to set up a "Booth" or a "Workshop". These basically are as you'd expect if you're already familiar with SAGExpo, so choose what you'd want to do. (EDIT for the SerenesForest thread: "Booths" are where your fangame/ROM hack entries go. Anything that involves development of games that isn't one of those goes in the workshop if you want to schedule it in advance.)

3) You can either have a preconstructed booth build or link the booth to your own HTML page. Likewise, you can either upload your entry to the site (Be wary of the filesize limits!) or use an external filehost to keep your entry.

4) Workshops can be done on either the IRC chatroom or the Livestream.

5) If you feel your entry does not fit one of the predefined categories, please contact me about it.

Edited by Kiddo

Let's just hope that submitting a hack means you actually have a shot and not that you get demeaned because you're "only" heavily editing an already finished engine, like last year.

That was some bullshit.

I personally don't see how people considered hacks not equivocable to some of the other stuff from 2013, yeah....

Let's just hope that submitting a hack means you actually have a shot and not that you get demeaned because you're "only" heavily editing an already finished engine, like last year.

That was some bullshit.

I got a much more prominent role this NCFC than last time. I can assure you that I won't put up with anything that disenfranchises the community here. The ROM hacks will have their fair shake.

That being mentioned, I have no decided how to handle end-of-event awards this time, if they are happening at all. I'd like to make the format very different from before so that there wouldn't be room for those kind of issues.

Minor update:
I am working on a promotional video for NCFC. Anyone who wants their game in on it, please submit your game booths ASAP!

(Immortal Sword's as good as already there, by the way.)

• 2 weeks later...

Just throwing this out there, the very first game clip you should show, probably shouldn't be some random 15fps mario game clip. Put that more in the middle. It makes the video look lame when you open out of the gate with your worst clip, just IMO.

I admit this was counterproductive to highlighting the "best of the best", but I had some specific policies in place in regard to what order to put the footage in, and it was mostly based on audience expectations:

1) Our largest audience and contributors are interested in Mario games, so Mario games go first, even if the current trailers aren't too impressive. Heck, one of them has a choppy framerate, and another has an annoying Bandicam watermark. >_< I unfortunately just have to work with what I have to work with, sometimes. "Elemental Orbs" was a last-minute addition and thus rushed into the video, so this was the exception.

2) Fire Emblem: Immortal Sword is a highlight from previous years making a return, so it's got a prominent place afterwards with a few extra seconds thrown in (Both because of that and because Fire Emblem's slower pace requires it.)

3) The "indie" games are still kinda an experiemental concept for this NCFC so they got in last, even though they generally look impressive. (Both Bingo and Sparks, BTW, are from the Sonic fangame community. I was hoping for actual Sonic entries, but these are good as well and Sparks is from the guy who made "Sonic: Before the Sequel", so it's definitely gonna be a contender this year.)

4) Any entry with a title screen or logo submitted up to that point had it quickly displayed at the end.

I will admit that if I was doing this trailer more for baiting clicks into the site, Rivals of Aether would've gone first (Even if it doesn't turn out impressive when it's there, the trailer footage looks really neat), followed by Sparks (for the reasons I stated above), followed by Immortal Sword, and then everything else. Perhaps I could do a variant version?

If your goal is baiting clicks (An admirable goal made easier by thumbnails of big breasted women) then I fail to see how the first two clips of choppy mario gameplay would be better than the mario gameplay from the next three projects that ran at full-speed and looked very fluid?

If your goal is baiting clicks (An admirable goal made easier by thumbnails of big breasted women) then I fail to see how the first two clips of choppy mario gameplay would be better than the mario gameplay from the next three projects that ran at full-speed and looked very fluid?

More careful reading now, y'know? I said I arranged the footage based on the expectations of the audience I was gearing the trailer towards. (In other words, popularity before quality, meaning the Mario stuff goes first.)

when do booths tend to get approved?

Unlike previous events where the approvals happened at the last second, I look at the booths at an infrequent basis to check on their progress.

Generally, if a booth has a good look or a playable demo, or if the submitter gave me a trailer, or if it's a returning entry from last time, I will approve it. However, there are some booths that are not properly arranged at the moment (for example, a few that lead to direct downloads and a few obvious "placeholder" ones with no text or screenshots.)

If you want me to approve a specific booth fast, PM me about me and I'll tell you if there's a specific reason I haven't done it yet.

When is the show/deadline?

The event begins November 3rd, and submissions for booths and workshops are expected before the event starts. (Although we've had a few cases of late-entries, and SAGExpo Act II this year had a lot of those, so I may consider allowing submissions mid-event as well.)

(In other words, popularity before quality, meaning the Mario stuff goes first.)

mfw you miss the point

My point is, you show two choppy crappy-looking mario games, then show two or three more that are running at full speed and look good. Reverse that, put the GOOD clips first, then put the crappy clips afterwards. This will make the video look a lot better.

mfw you miss the point

My point is, you show two choppy crappy-looking mario games, then show two or three more that are running at full speed and look good. Reverse that, put the GOOD clips first, then put the crappy clips afterwards. This will make the video look a lot better.

>mfw you respond to me repeating a statement by repeating a statement.

You got your point across the first time, I put my perspective on it, and then you repeated yourself. So I repeated myself again because I thought maybe it wasn't so clear in a longer post, but here.... Yeah, whatever, let's move on.

• 4 weeks later...

Just a topic bump to make sure things are kept up to date.

As said before, NCFC is set for November 3rd this year. Booth submissions will be taken up until the event opening (and depending on whatever factors, late admissions may be allowed. But I'm still holding that thought.)
Don't expect any notable delays in the event this time. :P

As for how this event is shaping up, one thing that's especially apparent this year is that the "indie" category is going to have exponential growth in the quantity of titles presented. This may be interesting to see play out.

Just a topic bump to make sure things are kept up to date.

As said before, NCFC is set for November 3rd this year. Booth submissions will be taken up until the event opening (and depending on whatever factors, late admissions may be allowed. But I'm still holding that thought.)

Don't expect any notable delays in the event this time. :P

As for how this event is shaping up, one thing that's especially apparent this year is that the "indie" category is going to have exponential growth in the quantity of titles presented. This may be interesting to see play out.

So everything starts running on the 3rd?

So everything starts running on the 3rd?

Yes.

If I may be a bit silly to add, the reason it's the third is so that the week of NCFC coincides with my birthday, which is on the fourth. :P

Also, I will note that I'm still waiting for workshop submissions and possibly pre-scheduled livestream events.