Are we going to see the marriage again?

Maxkibram

Supports are as much a staple in Fire Emblem games as the weapon triangle, but the marriage mechanic is much more novel. It not only encourages you to pair characters off, but it gives the game ridiculous amount of replay value.

The question is; are we going to see it again? Is marriage now going to be a staple in Fire Emblem games? I mean, how marriage works in Awakening is extremely specific to the plot of the game: your characters marry to give birth to children that come from an apocalyptic future. Obviously, that can't be the scenario for every Fire Emblem after this one. Is there anyway or even any reason for IS to keep the marriage system instead of going back to typical supports?

I think that we will see the marriage system again, but the child factor may not happen for awhile. The main reason I think it will happen again is because supports play such a big role in Fire Emblem and the marriage system makes it much more interesting then in earlier games, plus like you said it makes replaying the game more fun.

I like the marriage system because it means children. To be quite honest, if future FE games decide to not incorporate children, then I rather see a special combined ending like FE7 and FE8 for the couple. Otherwise then it's just extra text. Let's be honest, S supports in Awakening weren't that good.

I like the marriage system because it means children. To be quite honest, if future FE games decide to not incorporate children, then I rather see a special combined ending like FE7 and FE8 for the couple. Otherwise then it's just extra text. Let's be honest, S supports in Awakening weren't that good.

This. The concept of marriage was nice when it wasn't the main game mechanic (FE4 handled it well though imo). They could find other ways to incorporate children, because I also enjoyed them.

I...what...This is the second time we've seen it?

The marriage system requires a specific part of the plot to happen, with either timeskips and or time travel. IS likely won't want to repeat an exact story type so we probably won't have it next game, but maybe in future ones.

I mean I guess if we want to have it different from 4 and 13 we could have the parents just age and have children after that but that makes me struggle to think of how that could work in relation to a game.

I mean I guess if we want to have it different from 4 and 13 we could have the parents just age and have children after that but that makes me struggle to think of how that could work in relation to a game.

I also fail to see how they can work this into the game.

I'm gonna be selfish and say that I would like for both the parents and the children to be playable but that's a lot of work for one game if they decide to time skip. I don't think the art director/main art person is gonna appreciate having to age the parents.

Edited by Magician Lugh

We probably will. I liked the way fe13 presented the children in paralogues after you got an s support with a female character, but overall it was kind of tiresome. The 2 generations from FE4 works better for me, but instead of having every female character have a corresponding child, you can tie it to any specific character. I'll use FE6/FE7 as an example here. Say they were merged into one game with 2 generations. When you marry off Nino you unlock Lugh and Raigh. When you marry off Canas you unlock Hugh. When you marry off Rath you unlock Sue. Hell you could even S support Hawkeye/Dorcas and have them adopt Igrene or something like that. Eliwood/Hector would have to be force married and Karla/Bartre would have to be force paired but otherwise just some diversity in this way would be nice.

Marriage yeah. If they do kids I kind of want it to be done differently. I was constantly in conflict with myself between leveling the parents up a bunch to make the kids overpowered, or just getting them right then because wow don't want to spend 60+ hours on one save because of all this grinding. Not to mention the time it spent to actually level the kids up to be equal with everyone else. FE4's "okay now everyoone is the kids" system would be more fun in my opinion I think. I have a feeling majority disagrees with me though.

Marriage has always been a thing in the form of paired endings. Genealogy took it and made it part of the plot. Awakening did it as a throwback to Genealogy.

Marriage will return in some shape or form, but kids won't.

Edited by Ownagepuffs