[RESULTS are up!] Contest: Create your FE: Midnight Sun weapon!

Alfred Kamon

Much as I'd like to. . .

1. I don't have time right now to put it into picture form.

2. I don't think people are looking for a mess of pixels that look like a captcha tossed its cookies, because that's what would happen if I tried to do the weapon icon.

Were you planning on holding the poll here, or on an external site? I don't know how 32 pictures will look on this site.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Much as I'd like to. . .

1. I don't have time right now to put it into picture form.

2. I don't think people are looking for a mess of pixels that look like a captcha tossed its cookies, because that's what would happen if I tried to do the weapon icon.

Were you planning on holding the poll here, or on an external site? I don't know how 32 pictures will look on this site.

The weapon icon isn't necessary. If the concept is good enough, I don't see why it shouldn't be voted or selected. Many people basically put a simple recolor of a pre-existing GBA FE icon, and that's totally acceptable.

Anyway, I was planning to put all of them in a poll here but... well, now that you make me think about it, perhaps it's not the best solution. Any ideas?

Don't have any weapon icons, sorry! Since the forging thing seems similar to Tearring Saga, I took a couple of the interesting weapons there (there were of course a few more like the Shield Sword increasing defenses between 1 and 20 whenever in combat, but I doubt that's possible without ASM)

UoiKRer.png

If "can be used to recover HP" isn't possible, then perhaps Heal 5HP per turn?

This is exactly the same stats as the Dragon Arrow from TRS.

Range could possibly be 1~3 as well and stats are subjective to change.

edit: Alright, here's my other one:

ZDJjEFw.png

Sylpheed, also from TRS - cannot be countered, but I added cannot double as it was pretty OP, but it may still want other weaknesses.

Reduced the might to 13 from 18 as it was, and that's about it. Stats still subjective to change etc.

Also probably could use other names but I'm not creative enough.

Edited by Tryhard

Don't have any weapon icons, sorry! Since the forging thing seems similar to Tearring Saga, I took a couple of the interesting weapons there (there were of course a few more like the Shield Sword increasing defenses between 1 and 20 whenever in combat, but I doubt that's possible without ASM)

*cough* As long as I'm around, no one (I do random hacking chores for) shall be limited by "not possible without ASM" !! :D

The weapon icon isn't necessary. If the concept is good enough, I don't see why it shouldn't be voted or selected. Many people basically put a simple recolor of a pre-existing GBA FE icon, and that's totally acceptable.

Anyway, I was planning to put all of them in a poll here but... well, now that you make me think about it, perhaps it's not the best solution. Any ideas?

I'd do a vote via SF PM, if you don't mind the inbox spam. If you do, then MAYBE something through Google, but that may present some verification problems.

Good luck getting people to read details on 32 entries before casting a vote. Most people will likely make it ten entries down at best and just vote for one of those (Meaning entries near the top have the most vote pulls) or they'll vote for whatever looks fancy without reading the details.

Edited by Klok's Juicy Tits

Here's a sample of the poll.

The order of the pics is randomized, so that there's no primacy bias.

You must choose at least 2 weapons.

It's very intuitive, so it doesn't require much brainpower @Klok, I think people will take their time to make some proper votes. Have faith. Moreover, a little patience is required in any kind of survey. This one in particular will require only 5 minutes.

Also, why don't you partecipate Klok? I'd be curious to see some of your stuff.

Only 5 slots left!

Edit: This is another sample of the poll. And I actually prefer it.

It's based on a point system.

Select a weapon and award it 1, 2, or 3 points.

Not selecting a weapon will award it 0 points instead.

At the end of the poll, the weapon with the highest rank will be inserted into the game.

Edited by Alfred Kamon

*cough* As long as I'm around, no one (I do random hacking chores for) shall be limited by "not possible without ASM" !! :D

Of course, of course. I've seen some of your work and it's very impressive.

Hey, I like this. I might use it, though to a more nerfed degree.

Yeah, some of the TRS weapons have some nice effects, but the fact that is between one and twenty is a bit much, a lot of the weapons in TRS end up overpowered.

especially since you can get them on enemies in the arena

Edited by Tryhard

Any awesome weapons I could think up for your game I'd be more likely to put in my game, silly boy :P

Also I don't like the idea of someone not knowing what to do with their game so they crowdsource ideas and call it a "contest". I mean, why would you only want one of these ideas? You could implement like, all of them, and it wouldn't take very long for someone like you. Might as well just call it the "Midnight Sun Playermade Forging Topic", much like how instead of holding a contest for a "lucky few" to get their mugs in Roguelike Emblem, I just let almost anyone submit one. (Well, not counting the really bad ones, obviously.)

I dunno, it makes sense to me anyway. I've seen some great weapon ideas in this topic, and if you're really only gonna use two, I might as well use some of the leftovers :P

Edit: Eh, I can make one, but no weapon icon unfortunately. Also I'm taking creative liberties with the weapon effects so you probably won't be able to use it without ASM, unfortunately.

[Removed for redundancy's sake, look some posts lower]

There's my weapon idea, it's the only one I'll submit XD

Here's a sample of the poll.

The order of the pics is randomized, so that there's no primacy bias.

You must choose at least 2 weapons.

It's very intuitive, so it doesn't require much brainpower @Klok, I think people will take their time to make some proper votes. Have faith. Moreover, a little patience is required in any kind of survey. This one in particular will require only 5 minutes.

Only 5 slots left!

Edit: This is another sample of the poll. And I actually prefer it.

It's based on a point system.

Select a weapon and award it 1, 2, or 3 points.

Not selecting a weapon will award it 0 points instead.

At the end of the poll, the weapon with the highest rank will be inserted into the game.

Posting it in the new page so that people don't miss it.

Any awesome weapons I could think up for your game I'd be more likely to put in my game, silly boy :P

Also I don't like the idea of someone not knowing what to do with their game so they crowdsource ideas and call it a "contest". I mean, why would you only want one of these ideas? You could implement like, all of them, and it wouldn't take very long for someone like you. Might as well just call it the "Midnight Sun Playermade Forging Topic", much like how instead of holding a contest for a "lucky few" to get their mugs in Roguelike Emblem, I just let almost anyone submit one. (Well, not counting the really bad ones, obviously.)

I dunno, it makes sense to me anyway. I've seen some great weapon ideas in this topic, and if you're really only gonna use two, I might as well use some of the leftovers :P

Edit: Eh, I can make one, but no weapon icon unfortunately. Also I'm taking creative liberties with the weapon effects so you probably won't be able to use it without ASM, unfortunately.

Name: Hell's Bane

Type: Axe

Uses: 20

MT: 8

Hit: 70

Weight: 16

Crit: 10

Range: 1

Forge With:

Devil Axe

Devil Sword

Devil Lance

Hirudinea (Because why not)

Effects:

Cursed (Rate of 20-LUK so 0% curse rate is possible)

Double damage on light magic users

Steals HP from dark magic users

+20% curse rate against anima magic users (So 40-LUK)

Increases STR by +1 whenever 10% HP is lost

Gives +5 RES and -5 DEF

There's my weapon idea, it's the only one I'll submit XD

Reply to bold: The fact is, dear Klok, I perfectly know what to do with my game. And I'm creative enough to make innovative content with my own strenght and effort, as I've always shown in these past two years.

The reason I'll implement only two weapons is, of course, because this is a contest, nothing else. A contest of 32 entries with 16 winners would be a bit awkward, don't you think? And I don't want my game to be flooded with other people's ideas. This is just an opportunity I'm giving to the community to have some fun together. I could be that guy who works in the shadows for the whole time and doesn't give a crap about other people's opinions, but I'm different than that, and I like to share the work on which I've invested more than three thousand hours so far.

So yeah.

Feel free to reuse any of these ideas for your own projects, if you want (and if the owner of the idea approves, of course).

I'll also give my humble, personal criticism to all the submissions once the poll is over.

Ah Klok, would you mind submitting an image like everybody else is doing? <3

I like the concept of that weapon anyway. Even if I doubt some of those effects can be implemented.

The change to the Devil effect formula is particularly interesting, perhaps I'll apply it to the other Devil weapons as well.

Edited by Alfred Kamon

I thought you said not many posts back that images weren't required though? I'm no spriter so I can't/won't make an image. I can ask one of my friends to do so but that seems like wasted effort if the idea doesn't get used. Though to be honest I wouldn't submit an idea I wouldn't use myself so I'd just use it as a PRF weapon in my own game or someshit.

Yeah I'll ask someone else.

The devil routine probably looks something like

mov r0,#0x1F

ldrb r1,[r4,#0x19]

sub r0,r1

lsl r0,r0,#0x18

lsr r0,r0,#0x18

Point being the 0x1F or 31 value is probably hardcoded meaning once you find it it's not hard to change

The devil routine probably looks something like

mov r0,#0x1F

ldrb r1,[r4,#0x19]

sub r0,r1

lsl r0,r0,#0x18

lsr r0,r0,#0x18

Point being the 0x1F or 31 value is probably hardcoded meaning once you find it it's not hard to change

From Cam's status swords hack:

CHECK_DEVIL:
	mov		r1, #0x19			@
	ldsb	r1, [r5, r1]		@ load attacker luck
	mov		r0, #0x1F			@ r0 = 31
	sub		r0, r0, r1			@ r0 -= r1 (31 - luck)
	lsl		r0, r0, #0x10		@ \
	lsr		r0, r0, #0x10		@ r0 = (short) r0
	mov		r1, #0x0			@ r1 = 0x0
	push	{r3}
	BDRH_CALL	0x0802857C		@ Most likely checks to see if it procs.
	pop		{r3}
	lsl		r0, r0, #0x18		@ blah
	cmp		r0, #0x0			@ if r0 << 18 != 0
	beq		NO_DEVIL			@ apply_devil()

So yes, you're right.

That looks like a legit icon but the name Hell's Bane sounds weird cuz like its a devil axe but Hell's bane implies a righteous holy weapon (unless you're using the archaic definition of bane)

Well, if you say "Hell's Scourge", you can either mean "A scourge upon hell" or "A scourge created by hell". I tend to think of Hell's Bane as being "The bane of light, possessed by Hell".

You're right it doesn't make a ton of sense but "Light's Bane" on an evil devil weapon sounds lame.

In other news, I'll go ahead and submit a second weapon.

5ce90a3aad.png

Icon again by Aeo '3'