Generic Promoted Enemy Growth Rates/Stats

DrPikachu

I've been playing through the GBA games, and something occurred to me that makes me curious:

How do those promoted non-boss enemies get the stats they do?
[spoiler=Examples]
O38QEqF.png

K8y7Yjj.png

The base stats listed for the promoted classes don't really match for the levels shown (too much HP, for one), and as the second image shows, promotion gains aren't a factor either. So perhaps they gain a different amount of levels compared to their non-promoted counterparts.

If that is indeed the case, does anyone know how many levels that is, exactly? Do they "promote" at Lv. 10 or the next-closest opportunity and grow from there?

This isn't really crucial or anything. I'm just wondering if anyone on here knows of the inner workings on this.

Edited by DrPikachu

I noticed in my last playthrough of FE7 that my characters were getting less gold from Arena battles after promotion than before, and I know that Arena wagers are determined by the stats of your opponent compared to the stats of your character.

I don't know exactly why a level 1 Warrior has less than... say... the stats of a level 20 Fighter plus promotion gains, but it certainly seems to be the case.

I think each class has inbuilt growth rates that are used to calculate their stats based on what level they are. The base stats of promoted classes aren't too big clearly, so I guess at lower levels the class growths just haven't had time to kick in, which is why high leveled first tier enemies can be better than low level promoted enemies.

Edited by MartyTheDemonSlayer

I'm not privy to the specifics, but I've heard that promoted enemies gain ten "invisible" levels in addition to their regular level. I'm not too sure about the accuracy of this, but comparing that level 1 warrior to the warrior class base stats and growths, it would seem that he did indeed gain about 10 levels of generic warrior growths. EDIT: And the same thing can be said of the general as well.

Edited by Starman

I'm not privy to the specifics, but I've heard that promoted enemies gain ten "invisible" levels in addition to their regular level. I'm not too sure about the accuracy of this, but comparing that level 1 warrior to the warrior class base stats and growths, it would seem that he did indeed gain about 10 levels of generic warrior growths. EDIT: And the same thing can be said of the general as well.

I had done the same test as well before, but it had just seemed so strange to me then that I felt I had to ask. Thanks for the confirmation.

Man, just-promoted mooks really get the short end of the stick, don't they?

Edited by DrPikachu

It's kind of obscure right now, but there's a page about how to generate enemy stats here.

The short of it is that FE7 promoted enemies on Normal Mode have 9 Levels added to their base stats, plus any extra Levels they have gained (so a Level 1 promoted enemy has 9 Levels worth of extra stats).

Argh, that page keeps screaming "WORD PROBLEM" at me. That is one part of working through math up to calculus that I did not miss.

Is it possible for someone to post an example or formula of this in action?

Certainly : P

I'll just use one stat for ease of purpose. The HP growth rate for a Warrior is 80% .

Then if you have a Level 1 Warrior, you have 0.8 x 7 levels gained, that's 5.6 points of HP by default.

Next you roll a random number between 7/8 x 5.6 (=4.9) and 9/8 x 5.6 (=6.3). Let's say it's... 5.6, which is halfway. That means the Warrior gains 5 HP with a 60% chance of having 6 HP.

Finally you roll a second random number between 0 and 99, which determines if they have 4 HP or 5 HP. If the RN is 59 or lower, they will have 5 HP.

A Warrior's base HP is 28, so an average Level 1 Warrior will have 28 + 5 = 33 HP. The Warrior in your pic is above average.

The least HP it can have is 28 + 4 = 32 and the highest 28 + 7 = 35.

Hope that made sense. If not, I can elaborate further.

Edited by VincentASM

Promoted enemies as stated get hidden levels to simulate them once being unpromoted. In most games it's 10, although on higher difficulties it can be upwards of 20. In addition, each chapter on FE6 hard or FE7 HHM also gives additional levels across the board which is why even level 1 enemies have stat gains and why the stat gains vary from chapter to chapter (Like how Fir has higher hard mode bonuses then Rutger).

On the highest end you have FE6 hard mode which can be upwards of 30 hidden levels (Base 20 + 10 global) or pathetic ones like Sacred Stones easy mode where promoted enemies get no levels at all and often times end up having lower stats then unpromoted ones around them.

It says Luck in FE7 is an exception, though. Does its growth skip one of those steps, or does it operate on a different process?

FE7 is hardcoded to ignore luck growth. Enemies have a luck growth, but the game ignores it resulting in all enemies having 0 luck, or in the case of hard mode bonuses for bosses (Who do have luck) a boost of +0

Character luck still applies as normal which is why bosses have luck and why (If hacked) generic enemies can have fixed luck.

Edited by Camus The Dark Knight

Yeah, now it makes perfect sense. Thanks!

Actually, wait a second...

Next you roll a random number between 7/8 x 5.6 (=4.9) and 9/8 x 5.6 (=6.3). Let's say it's... 5.6, which is halfway. That means the Warrior gains 5 HP with a 60% chance of having 6 HP.

Finally you roll a second random number between 0 and 99, which determines if they have 4 HP or 5 HP. If the RN is 59 or lower, they will have 5 HP.

"If they have 4 HP or 5 HP"? Don't you mean "5 HP or 6 HP", given the 5.6 result? Edited by DrPikachu