What FE have you guys played

pianime94

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FE4 and everything after it

I can't deal with the controls and graphical clunkiness prior to fe4 unfortunately

I have not done RD on the highest difficulty however; lack of turbo or enemy phase skip means my patience runs dry with the massive amount of enemies late game and I don't think I can play it again

Edited by Thor Odinson

I've played 10,11,6,8,4,13,9,7,5,12 in approximately that order (or to put it simpler, evertything above four except the original Arakaneia Chronicles). Got through most if the first chapter of Gaiden (which is more of the game than it sounds like) but couldn't stand the bad translation and primitive UI. I'll probably get back to it some day along with the Tear Ring Saga games but I don't really have any plans to play 1 or 3 since I've played the remakes. Unless for some reason they get an official localization, then I'd buy and play them to support the series.

I have not done RD on the highest difficulty however; lack of turbo or enemy phase skip means my patience runs dry with the massive amount of enemies late game and I don't think I can play it again

RD is still more tolerable than FE4, as long as you've unlocked the option to skip map animations entirely. unfortunately that's a second playthrough thing only, because i know on my first RD playthrough i had a really bad time in part 4 because the game did not let me skip map animations.

but FE4 is the worst. it's clunky, it plays map animations, and the maps are empty.

Well excuuuuse me....Ranked Run is probably referring to maximizing the ranking you get for being a "strategist" such as the tactics, funds, experience, etc.

In other words S Ranking the game, I have only done it in ENM myself though

Maybe I'll play FE6 if Glaceon Mage can convince me good enough. I still need to do Ephraim's route on FE8 and FE7HHM though.

FE6 has some differences to the other both GBA games:

- reinforcements appear before enemy turn (like in FE13 on harder difficulties)

- RNG is unpredictable

- axes and lances are heavily nerfed compared to other FE games

- magic is very useful

- many annoying staffs (sleep, silence, beserk)

- some hard chapters (desert chapter with fug of war)

- reinforcements appear before enemy turn (like in FE13 on harder difficulties)

Unlike in that game, I don't remember them every spawning in attack range, though. (Except for chapter 18B but like in the classic "Trap of Lefcandy" map, you can see that trap a mile away.) So when it comes down to it, the difference between instantly moving or not ends up being mostly a matter of aesthetics.

Edited by BrightBow

- RNG is unpredictable

no no no

so many people make this mistake and i'm tired of trying to explain concepts like pseudorandom number generation and confirmation bias. information on the RNG should be mandatory reading for registration on SF.

FE6 RNG is exactly as predictable as FE7 and FE8 RNG.

Edited by dondon151

Unlike in that game, I don't remember them every spawning in attack range, though. (Except for chapter 18B but like in the classic "Trap of Lefcandy" map, you can see that trap a mile away.) So when it comes down to it, the difference between instantly moving or not ends up being mostly a matter of aesthetics.

Chapter 21 is the best example with the masses of dracos spawning.

If you play this chapter the first time, you're really screwed.

When I visit the secret shop, suddenly two groups of dracoknights and wyvenlords appeared in attack range and so ...... I was screwed.

no no no

so many people make this mistake and i'm tired of trying to explain concepts like pseudorandom number generation and confirmation bias. information on the RNG should be mandatory reading for registration on SF.

FE6 RNG is exactly as predictable as FE7 and FE8 RNG.

Of all FE games I've played the RNG screwed me the most. Missing with 90% twice and getting hit by <=30% is almost standard in my runs.

Edited by TalesOf Hysteria

If you knew where the secret shop was, you weren't really playing blind you know. Also, going on the secret shop doesn't activate any reinforcements in chapter 21...

If you knew where the secret shop was, you weren't really playing blind you know. Also, going on the secret shop doesn't activate any reinforcements in chapter 21...

1. Paraphrased.

2. This was just a generic example to reveal that in FE6 are more than one chapter of reinforcements spawning in attack range.

I absolute have no idea, when and where reinforcements appear in this chapter.

Okay one, reinforcements don't move in NM at the start of the turn (I haven't played NM in ages but I'm pretty sure about this). Only in HM do they do that. So the absoloute first time most people play the game, that's not going to be a factor.

Two, the reinforcement trigger zones on that map only spawn reinforcements in areas you're not going to be in range to be attacked in immediately unless your army is spread out. The distance between trigger zones and where the reinforcements spawn is pretty consistently large enough for you to be safe for at least 1 turn after they start.

Edited by Irysa

In NM reinforcements appear before and move in enemy phase as well.

It's easy to forget this when you don't get instantly killed from it. Such situations probably occur more on hard. I never forgot about this mechanic in FE6 but I did forget that FE5 had them, and I played that game a lot more often. Not to mention that I played FE6 a few years before Thracia.

Anyway, the reinforcements mechanics in FE5/6 are only the same as the ones in FE12/13 on a pure technical level. Situations were they can actually take advantage of their initiative are extremly rare. Fundamentally it's bad design but in the end it's just a minor nuisance.

Edited by BrightBow

In NM reinforcements appear before and move in enemy phase as well.

My bad, havent played NM in years. In fact I've only beaten NM of FE6 once, and when it comes to ch21 I'm pretty sure most of my units were too strong to even die on that map (like brightbow said). But regardless, the trigger zones are actually spaced out so that it's unlikely you get tagged by reinforcements when they spawn unless you're spread out.

Of all FE games I've played the RNG screwed me the most. Missing with 90% twice and getting hit by <=30% is almost standard in my runs.

this is confirmation bias and variance at work. i will tell you with absolute certainty that the FE6 RNG is exactly like the FE7 and FE8 RNGs, even down to the seed (well, there's one small, but inconsequential, difference).

Edited by dondon151

Chapter 21 is the best example with the masses of dracos spawning.

You rang?

I don't really want to play FE 1-5. They're all too old and most of the mechanics are pretty dated, and I feel like if they weren't released in the west, it means they weren't good enough. I might play FE6 but I got really bored in the middle of the first chapter.

Edited by Draco

You rang?

I don't really want to play FE 1-5. They're all too old and most of the mechanics are pretty dated, and I feel like if they weren't released in the west, it means they weren't good enough. I might play FE6 but I got really bored in the middle of the first chapter.

Don't really know the logic behind why the first three weren't released abroad (probably because it was too Japanese for the west if they only thought to try localizing when they realized people liked Roy and Marth) but the reason the Jugdral games weren't released was probably because of their release date (Holy War came out less than half a year before the N64 and Thracia came out two years before the Game Cube!) rather than the quality of the games. They both offer vastly different experiences than the other games while still remaining true to the core aspects of the Fire Emblem series. They also have probably the best plot of the series. I would highly recommend these games, probably over the Gameboy Advance ones.

Edited by Jotari

You rang?

FE4 and FE5 don't feel dated at all. In fact, I find FE5 closer to the current games than the GBA games are.

Don't really know the logic behind why the first three weren't released abroad (probably because it was too Japanese for the west if they only thought to try localizing when they realized people liked Roy and Marth) but the reason the Jugdral games weren't released was probably because of their release date (Holy War came out less than half a year before the N64 and Thracia came out two years before the Game Cube!) rather than the quality of the games. They both offer vastly different experiences than the other games while still remaining true to the core aspects of the Fire Emblem series. They also have probably the best plot of the series. I would highly recommend these games, probably over the Gameboy Advance ones.

It's even worse then that actually.

Geneology was released on May 14, 1996 in Japan. The N64 was released in June 23, 1996 in Japan. The releases of FE4 and Super Mario 64 are literally only a single month apart.

Really, it's not just ridiculous that Thracia was released 3 years after the N64, it's even more absurd that they even started developing another Super Famicom game under these circumstances. I would really to learn more about the development history of Thracia. I mean, it's really unbelievable that they would do that under these circumstances.

And to think that Nintendo, according to Wikipedia quoting a programmer of the game, canceled Star Fox 2 a year and a half before the release of the N64. And that game was already finished at that point..

Edited by BrightBow

It's even worse then that actually.

Geneology was released on May 14, 1996 in Japan. The N64 was released in June 23, 1996 in Japan. The releases of FE4 and Super Mario 64 are literally only a single month apart.

Really, it's not just ridiculous that Thracia was released 3 years after the N64, it's even more absurd that they even started developing another Super Famicom game under these circumstances. I would really to learn more about the development history of Thracia. I mean, it's really unbelievable that they would do that under these circumstances.

And to think that Nintendo, according to Wikipedia quoting a programmer of the game, canceled Star Fox 2 a year and a half before the release of the N64. And that game was already finished at that point..

Star Fox 2 wasn't canceled for being a late release SNES game. It was cancelled for being too good for a SNES game. They didn't want their awesome 3D syfy game on their old console to overshadow their shiny new console that they planned to revolutionize the industry with. We know IS tried a hand at making N64 games but weren't confident in their 3D modelling abilities. So I guess they just gave up on a N64 title but still wanted to make Fire Emblem and the SNES was still releasing games occasionally in Japan so why not? Akaneia Saga was made after Holy War and the N64 too. Actually it's kind of surprising they didn't try moving to gameboy colour in that interm. Might have had a bigger chance for a world wide release then. Though they wouldn't have been able to get as expansive games on it as they could on the SNES.