Overrated and underrated Fire Emblem games.

Jiac

Although Awakening is my least favourite FE game, I still think Path of Radiance is more overrated, given that everybody seems to praise the game highly (unlike Awakening, which has as many haters as it does fans).

Eh, not really. Only SF hates FE13 from what I've seen; everyone else praises it all the way to the clouds.

I like FE9 and all, but I don't think it gets enough attention outside of SF to be considered overrated. If you search Fire Emblem on Google, you only get FE13 IIRC; that seems kinda over to me.

But FE9 does get a lot of attention on SF (and that's where most FE fans are anyway), so you might be right.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Although Awakening is my least favourite FE game, I still think Path of Radiance is more overrated, given that everybody seems to praise the game highly (unlike Awakening, which has as many haters as it does fans).

That's not the subjectivity I was referring to. Like Draco pointed out, Path of Radiance doesn't get a whole lot of hype outside of Serenes. That's where the subjectivity comes in. Do you say a game is overrated solely based on what you see on Serenes, or do you go out of your way to see what the rest of the fanbase has to say? Do you take reviews into consideration or do you go by what the fans say? There are so many ways to approach this that it becomes impossible to reach some sort of consensus. And there is always an element of bias, which is why I say we may as well list our favorites. If someone plays Fire Emblem Gaiden and likes it, they'll probably say it's underrated. If they play it and dislike it, they'll probably say it's rated just fine.

If you search Fire Emblem on Google, you only get FE13 IIRC; that seems kinda over to me.

I know I said this is all subjective, but this seems like a really poor way to determine a game's popularity. Google archives links to Awakening-related material because it is the most recent game in the series and as such is most likely what people are going to be talking about. You probably would have found primarily Blazing Sword-related links if you Googled Fire Emblem back in 2003. Decade-old games do not get as much attention as newer games unless they're being remade or re-released. Edited by Starman

Video games aren't objetively measurable as a whole, since a lot of it is based of personal perception and experiences.

That's why I don't like using the word "overrated" when it comes to subjective stuff like this.

The closest I can say as a proper answer to this thread is that I don't enjoy FE7 or FE9 as much as many people do. Are they overrated? I don't know... I'd still recommend FE9.

Edited by Xator Nova

Overrated: Awakening takes this by far. Not only is its fanbase fanatical for it, not only did reviewers love it, but even Nintendo is blinded by the hype. Just look at SSB4 and all of the special treatment Awakening got while the rest of the series only got Marth, Ike, and Lyn. And does Ike return if he wasn't so popular in Brawl? Probably not.

Underrated: FE7. I'll admit that some of us fans get a little carried away, but it deserves to be remembered as one of the better games in the series. Nowadays, most people write it off as average or one of the weaker entries.

Mystery of the Emblem and Binding Balde both got what's equivalent to a 9/10 by Famitsu. Sacred Stones and Thracia 776 both got 8.75/10. Shadow Dragon, Path of Radiance, Heroes of Light and Shadow, and Sword of Fire all got 8.5/10. Radiant Dawn got 8.25/10. And Genealogy of the Holy War got 7.75/10. All from the same magazine.

Over here, Sword of Fire got 8s and 9s all over the place. Same with Sacred Stones, and Path of Radiance. Radiant Dawn got the infamous 6/10 score from GameSpot, and a 9.5 from Nintendo Power, with everything else being 7s and 8s. Shadow Dragon, just got plain old 8s. How are ANY of those review scores (excluding the obvious exception) NOT good?

Ha! I remember that review, it was hilarious.

Anyway, Re: "Awakening gets all the attention" complaint. You guys do remember that Awakening is the only FE to get any advertising ever in the west, right? That's why it's so popular, is because it was the first FE to really get advertising in the west outside of Smash Bros.

Also, we can't have all of Smash Bros. be Fire Emblem characters. Robin and Lucina's inclusion in SSB4 probably has more to do with Awakening being the most recent (and best selling) game in the franchise.

• 2 weeks later...

A poisoned Dorcas wants to object to that statement. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LM-s5C0dnZs

XD

Yeah, this has to be the most effective advertisement since Earthbounds' "This game stinks" campaign. It fails to provide any reason to get interested into the game.

Edited by BrightBow

When taking into account the general public, most haven't even heard of the series. Those that have, probably only know about Awakening. Most fans of the series have played only the handheld English released games most likely. This is of course because 9 and 10 sold awful compared to every handheld game so far.

So in the eyes of the general public I'd say this:

Over: 7, 8, 13

Under: 3, 4, 5, 9, 10

But in all reality, this is a very niche series. Because of that I'd say the entire series is underrated. In fact, I heard somewhere that they were gonna cancel the series if 13 tanked. Thankfully it didn't.

• 4 weeks later...

13 cents from this long-time gamer who, for some reason, had never touched a FE game before:

I´m playing Genealogy of the Holy War right now, latest Gharnof patch, snes9x, big tv, wireless 360 controller, filters 2xbrz + ntsc svideo.

My opinion: it´s fantastic. Writing, soundtrack, character design, gameplay, everything.