Civ thread

HF Makalov Fanboy Kai

Random (perhaps obvious) musing: Civ V is a lot more fun without the white peace glitch and war bribes, otherwise like no tension. I avoided the former as too "exploit'y" but I usually bribed AIs, since it did have a cost. But insignificant, since BNW deity AI still a slowpoke. >_>

Trying some newer AI mods now. Initially they seem promising.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 11 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

A little bit of a necro but oh well.

Just started playing Civ 5 and I'm very much enjoying it.

But fuck the Harbours. I know that you need one in both your capitol and the other city to create a trade route but I don't think the game is registering a trade route.

Makes sense.

This game makes me want to rage and I'm not even playing a hard difficulty. Playing as the Arab and I got gangraped repeated by Barbarians, Rome, Greece and Rome again. I had maybe like 10 to 15 turns rest between all of them and lost a city to Rome twice.

I got maaaaaaaaaaaaad.

More thoughts.

Arabs are fun, especially once you get Camel Soldiers. But I know my camels and those fuckers are not fast at all. You'd die too quickly.

Accidentially played out Israel/Gaza with England and Arabia (I was England) from the Israeli side. Didn't realize it until they sued for peace and everything I own (which was bullshit).

Turks are way too strong. I know that I'm only playing the base game (no DLC) but when I can push off a Songhai assault twice in the first 150 turns (first time razing 2/6 of their cities and second time going for the capital) and then take out the Aztecs who crushed Siam within 100 turns and took two Songhai cities in about 3 turns flat by just throwing Janissaries and watching them heal up, shit gets real.

Seriously. Got the first few techs for building shit and then just went straight for Janissary (I also saved a Great Scientist until I had finished the tech before them along with an early Great Library). Made about 5 and then crushed my way through cities (also did that with some Longswordmen before the Jans arrived) with support from a Catapult that's gotten something like 4 levels. What the hell. I almost want to try to get another Great Scientist so that I can concentrate on money (short supply right now) and a navy and just snag Sipahi for free. But that won't happen.

I love this game. So intricate.

What Civ should have is an ethnicity mechanic; ethnicities could take a while to be assimilated and until then they generate unhappiness and can even declare independence. It would reflect the problems real world empires had with the people they conquered, and would also serve to nerf militaristic civs.

Edited by blah the Prussian

What Civ should have is an ethnicity mechanic; ethnicities could take a while to be assimilated and until then they generate unhappiness and can even declare independence. It would reflect the problems real world empires had with the people they conquered, and would also serve to nerf militaristic civs.

I think having something like that would be kind of annoying, all things considered, and not worth the added realism. Civ is, first and foremost, a competition between nation and nation, internal conflicts and social commentary are kind of a side thing. The unhappiness system works fine as it is and doesn't need to be overcomplicated, and if we're going to add more features for realism, disease, famine or pollution are also largely important societal factors that need a spotlight. I think things like these were in earlier Civ games, but they became rather tedious to manage.

Civ 3 had something like that. People were ethnically the nation they came from for a good number of turns, and would produce extra unhappiness if you were at war with their home country. It was kinda OK, but it didn't really make a massive difference.

Civ 3 had something like that. People were ethnically the nation they came from for a good number of turns, and would produce extra unhappiness if you were at war with their home country. It was kinda OK, but it didn't really make a massive difference.

Kind of just got replaced with the general unhappiness you get from having a conquered city I guess. Many issues of ethnicity can be attributed to having big populations, multiple cities and conquering, so I think the current system works fine.

I think having something like that would be kind of annoying, all things considered, and not worth the added realism. Civ is, first and foremost, a competition between nation and nation, internal conflicts and social commentary are kind of a side thing. The unhappiness system works fine as it is and doesn't need to be overcomplicated, and if we're going to add more features for realism, disease, famine or pollution are also largely important societal factors that need a spotlight. I think things like these were in earlier Civ games, but they became rather tedious to manage.

I disagree. Civ is supposed to be a game about the history of civilizations. Many civilizations in the past have fallen due to purely internal factors. The way this would be set up, any player worth a damn would be able to avoid it, it would just spice up the AI. Yes, I am basing this largely on the Rhyse and Fall of Civilization.

Civ 3 actually had local happiness for each city, where an unhappy city would revolt. I actually prefer how 5 handles things, the slider system from older games was a little annoying at times.

I honestly wonder how a tourism win is supposed to be possible. In the game I am playing (a quick game) I have basically every great wonder and museum full of great works almost all with great works in them, I am the leading religion in the game and I the highest teir order policy that boosts my tourism by 40% to civs that have lower hapiness and I have about 50 hapiness and despite all this I still have civs that are going to take 200 turns to overtake and the game only ends in 100 (Though everyone in the game is only up to the modern era). As far as I can see I've done almost everything possible to boost tourism and I am still losing so how the hell do you win with it?

(just to clarify this is Civ 5 BNW)

Edited by Mackc2

not to use 4chan green text but

>quick game

there's your problem sport, tourism victory is harder to achieve on quick game since you have less time to dominate the influence of everyone else's culture.

also spreading your religion to them, opening borders, and trading with them helps tons, more or less you gotta be a super nice guy if you wanna win with culture.

correct me if i'm wrong anyone.

also spreading your religion to them, opening borders, and trading with them helps tons, more or less you gotta be a super nice guy if you wanna win with culture.

correct me if i'm wrong anyone.

Just great since if a civ has their own religion then they are almost definitely going to want to go to war with you if you start converting their city. (especially if you convert their holy city)

Yields are usually scaled for different speeds but iirc musicians are glitched and the 2/3 scaling for quick is applied twice, so you only get 4/9th for each concert tour. This certainly makes things harder.

The key to culture victory though is get tourism up quickly which means getting to the Internet tech quickly. The faster you get more tourism, the less enemy culture there is to overcome. Focus on a science game until Public Schools and ideology, then spam archaeologists and bulb to the internet, then airports if necessary. Staff guilds asap (use food trade routes to keep growing as necessary) as you get the techs, Writers on the way to Civil Service, Artists just after Education. Get secularism asap after renaissance, plant 1 scientist, and the save the others to bulb. Again standard science stuff.

On lower difficulties below Immortal you can also spam cities with the Sacred Sites reformation plus 2 faith buildings. On all difficulties there's always the option of conquering cultural rivals too. >_>