[COMPLETE] Fire Emblem Gaiden PC Translation

vonretic

!!!!PLEASE READ EVERYTHING WRITTEN DOWN BELOW!!!!

If you are interested in this game and you want to play it please read everything that is written down below because you will find some information about the game itself and many more.

Summary/Overview

This game is as the title says a remake of the original Fire Emblem Gaiden game, but this one is playable only on PC without the need of an emulator. You will find that this game has improved sounds, graphics and art compared to the original, but I advise anyone that wants to play it, to mostly consider this game to be an "remake" or "improved version" over the original, without anyone being disappointed about it. The game has been made in an game engine that some of you may or may not know called SRPG95 (Sim RPG Maker 95) that is a tactical role-playing game maker, in which an individual can create games just like Fire Emblem.

OBSERVATION: The game engine is an old one and even in its time it was not something big and really good but it was good enough to create FE style games. So my point is that you should not have big expectations like: "...maybe this remake is an HD remake with astonishing graphics..." for example, but you should enjoy the game because it is a really good one.

Down here are some screenshots of the game (sorry if the quality is not that good but I had to screenshot them from the Youtube videos of Kiddo because apparently the game engine wouldn't let me take normal screenshots so I had to improvise).

post-12401-0-31617100-1441487135_thumb.jpg post-12401-0-30417300-1441487140_thumb.jpg
post-12401-0-66900000-1441487131_thumb.jpg post-12401-0-37057200-1441487127_thumb.jpg

How/Why Was This Game Translated to English?

A long time ago VincentASM posted on the forum about a remake of the original Fire Emblem Gaiden game, this remake being made for PC with updated graphics and sounds from the original. The only problem was that the game was made/created by an Chinese creator so that means that the game was originally playable only in Chinese. Vincent started translating it but ultimately the translation project stopped. Then I've decided that if it was in my power and resources I will finish the translation and make the game playable in English also.

How Much of the game is Translated?/Are there any sections untranslated?

At first I've stumbled upon an interesting fact when I've finished the translation, some of the maps from the game were gone missing, so normally this will lead to the game automatically make you jump from Chapter 2 to the final Chapter. After that problem was fixed, I thought the game was good to go but it was brought to my attention that there are still some lines and dialogues that are untranslated in the game. After a revision those were mostly fixed.

Although you will find some of those untranslated lines in the game they are not game breaking nor they will affect the main plot or how the game will play, those are just untranslated lines for like when an NPC summons some monsters.

Overall the game is 99% translated. So its good to go!

Are There Any Known Bugs/Errors Still Present In the Game?

Well there are just some very minor issues, again those won't affect your game play but I will write them anyway.

1. Sometimes the game graphics will look like a hurricane came through the game and rearranged in a bad way the graphics. But don't worry this is not a major issue. Why is this happening? Because the game engine can't load the game fast enough as the PC wants to load it. Solution? Not a big philosophy, just save the game and then instantly load it back!
  2. When you battle some NPC's they will sometimes disappear. But this is not game breaking as well because they will reappear back without causing any trouble for you. Some may experience this "anomaly", some may not. Why is this happening? Dunno. Solution? I've explained it already.
  3. And an very interesting bug/glitch is the fact that in the last map, the units that you won't choose to come and battle will be considered by the game dead when the Ending will roll. Why is this happening? I think that because of the limitations of the game engine the player can't choose all the units to enter the map so the rest of the units who are not chosen to fight in that map are considered dead by the game. Solution? Replay the game and choose the units that you didn't chose the last time in the last map, otherwise read the original FE Gaiden script. The endings are almost all the same as in the original for every character.

Some Tips and Tricks I Want To Share

1. In chapter IV when you choose to play Celica's side in the first route, when you reach the map Lost Woods, I would really recommend you to take your time and start grinding for level in the battle/map were you will fight the zombies, as they give great EXP for leveling up, then in Lost Woods change classes and do some more levels after changing your classes because this will be very helpful later in the game.
  2. In Chapter IV again when you are asked for the second time with which army you want to go first (Alm or Cellica) if you choose Alm's Troops you will have to fight Zombie Dragons three times but they will drop Magic Dragon Shield which is the second most powerful shield in the game.
  3. When you first encounter Judah in Cellica's route you will almost not be able to defeat him, quickly defeat the evil eye that is below him so you will make him go away and stop bothering you.
  4. And again in Chapter IV on Alm's first route don't go and fight Jerome's troops first, instead take the left road to go to Niubaba's Manor and save Teeta so when you fight Jerome's troops, Zeke will join your party instead of fighting you. Zeke will be a good addition to your team.

Here Are the Download Links

The game is split in four archives. Every chapter comes in a different RAR file and that's why after completing a chapter you need to follow the game instructions to be able to play the next chapters.

One of this instruction sounds like this:After say,you finish chapter 1 and 2 which comes together,you are instructed to Save The Game then extracting and overwritting the files from the next RAR file(FEGaiden 1 is chapter 1 and 2,so to play chapter 2 you need to extract and overwritte FEGaiden 2)then you start again the game and Load your save file and keep Ending the turns until the game goes on.

It is not that hard and the game will explain it for you and you will catch on pretty easy.

Chapter 1 and 2

Chapter 3

Chapter 4

Please note that you have to extract the first chapters to play the other ones, because the first archive contains everything that is necessary for the game to run. So you can't skip chapters.
And Finally Thanks and Credits
I want to thanks alot to VincentASM for translating the items and names which made my job easier and I want to thanks RedEyeDrake and Kiddo for pointing out the problems and the mistakes that were still present in the game. Also thanks to Kiddo for letting me use screenshots that I took from his videos.
And as always any errors, glitches, issues and problems that may appear during game play please post them here or PM me. And if some of you who had finished the game if you have any more tips and tricks to share please PM me as I would add them and then credit you.
P.S The game may be a little hard (more like tough) in the beginning but as you go on your units will greatly improve and the game will get easier. So don't let that be a downer and keep playing it!
Have fun playing and please talk about your experience!!

post-12401-0-37057200-1441487127_thumb.jpg

post-12401-0-66900000-1441487131_thumb.jpg

post-12401-0-31617100-1441487135_thumb.jpg

post-12401-0-30417300-1441487140_thumb.jpg

Edited by vonretic

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for posting, it's been ages since I've played this as well. I was actually surprised it works on my computer. :P

It's still a neat remake and so far the translation seems pretty solid. My only problem is having Cliff's name translated Qulyf, which just looks kind of funny. :P

• 4 weeks later...

Music sounds cheap, should've had controller support, right click should've been "backspace," SFX for hitting must be screwed up on my PC, "EXP Gained" should be an automatically disappearing prompt instead of a "must click" prompt, and the non-sprites are barely passable.

Noble effort for translating, but ultimately doomed by the game's production value.

Edited by Kysafen

Music sounds cheap, should've had controller support, right click should've been "backspace," SFX for hitting must be screwed up on my PC, "EXP Gained" should be an automatically disappearing prompt instead of a "must click" prompt, and the non-sprites are barely passable.

Noble effort for translating, but ultimately doomed by the game's production value.

well I'm glad you liked the english translation but seems like luckily for me :D,I wasn't the one that developed the game and just to remind you the game was made in SRPG95 which a lot of features were not that developed and good

I don't think they were blaming it on you or anything.

yes I know,but I've just mentionated that the creator of the game didn't really haved many options to improve the game because it was made in SRPG95 and the game was just one-man job

• 1 month later...

So, having finally finished the game, I thought I'd post my thoughts on it.

In my opinion, there comes a point in a game's existence where it simply grows too old to be tolerated in its current form. The standards that were in place at the time of its creation have crossed a certain event horizon and are just too antiquated in comparison to what is around in present day. Naturally, this also sets a certain bar for any remake that a game in question might have, and said bar dictates how close a remake can remain to its source material before it starts to deviate for the purpose of said remake's existence, namely being a version of the old game that is on more modern standards. In other words, this bar is what decides how modernized a game's remake must be to be viewed as an acceptable replacement by modern definitions. And this also means that the older the game is the lower the bar is.

All of this can be summurized to say that Fire Emblem Gaiden, being what it is and not being graced with a modern remake, sets its bar pretty low. And such, despite any flaws that this remake might have, I consider it an acceptable replacement for the original and would recommend to at least try it if you couldn't stomach the original game.

I gave the remake a whirl about a week back, and it's... decent. I don't mind the creator's decision to genderflip Robin and Gray, but, although perhaps understandable, it does frustrate me that he screwed up the villagers' color palettes. (Robin has Cliff's, Cliff has Gray's and Gray has Robin's)

The music is fine in my opinion. It kinda really wants a better soundfont, but being made in an old Enterbrain engine I understand that MIDIs were kind of the only option for music.

The graphics are okay; most of them seem to have just been plucked and recolored or spliced from Jugdral games, so what exists that's simply recolored (or just plain reused, as appears to be the case with the overworld sprites) looks just fine but isn't really attributable to this game specifically.

The gameplay isn't bad, but the control setup and some of the quirks are a bit wonky and might take some getting used to for veteran Fire Emblem fans.

For a one-man job in an old Enterbrain engine, it's certainly a respectable showing. However, I wouldn't really say it's the remake Gaiden needs or deserves, considering it uses more or less the series' standard linear format for progression, whereas Gaiden is distinctly one of the least linear Fire Emblem games. Additionally, Gaiden desperately needs most of its maps heavily touched up, if not remade altogether. I realize that the remake creator isn't responsible for this issue since he was just copying what was already made by someone else, but some of those maps are really terribly bland, terribly boring or just plain terrible.

So, having finally finished the game, I thought I'd post my thoughts on it.

In my opinion, there comes a point in a game's existence where it simply grows too old to be tolerated in its current form. The standards that were in place at the time of its creation have crossed a certain event horizon and are just too antiquated in comparison to what is around in present day. Naturally, this also sets a certain bar for any remake that a game in question might have, and said bar dictates how close a remake can remain to its source material before it starts to deviate for the purpose of said remake's existence, namely being a version of the old game that is on more modern standards. In other words, this bar is what decides how modernized a game's remake must be to be viewed as an acceptable replacement by modern definitions. And this also means that the older the game is the lower the bar is.

All of this can be summurized to say that Fire Emblem Gaiden, being what it is and not being graced with a modern remake, sets its bar pretty low. And such, despite any flaws that this remake might have, I consider it an acceptable replacement for the original and would recommend to at least try it if you couldn't stomach the original game.

I gave the remake a whirl about a week back, and it's... decent. I don't mind the creator's decision to genderflip Robin and Gray, but, although perhaps understandable, it does frustrate me that he screwed up the villagers' color palettes. (Robin has Cliff's, Cliff has Gray's and Gray has Robin's)

The music is fine in my opinion. It kinda really wants a better soundfont, but being made in an old Enterbrain engine I understand that MIDIs were kind of the only option for music.

The graphics are okay; most of them seem to have just been plucked and recolored or spliced from Jugdral games, so what exists that's simply recolored (or just plain reused, as appears to be the case with the overworld sprites) looks just fine but isn't really attributable to this game specifically.

The gameplay isn't bad, but the control setup and some of the quirks are a bit wonky and might take some getting used to for veteran Fire Emblem fans.

For a one-man job in an old Enterbrain engine, it's certainly a respectable showing. However, I wouldn't really say it's the remake Gaiden needs or deserves, considering it uses more or less the series' standard linear format for progression, whereas Gaiden is distinctly one of the least linear Fire Emblem games. Additionally, Gaiden desperately needs most of its maps heavily touched up, if not remade altogether. I realize that the remake creator isn't responsible for this issue since he was just copying what was already made by someone else, but some of those maps are really terribly bland, terribly boring or just plain terrible.

I'm happy that you all enjoy the game,even though the enjoyment is different for everyone being more or less satisfying for each one that tries and plays this game.

The game is suffering quite a bit and has its flaws because its made in an older ''engine'' if I may call it like that,but yet again it was just a one-man job so I would say that the expectations should not interfere with the actual game in case.

And yes I wouldn't call this quite the ''remake'',I would say it is more like an update of the older game.

But nevertheless I would recommand to everyone who wants to give a replay to Gaiden to try this.

• 8 months later...

I know Chinese but sorry, I can't translate. I'm too literal. For example, a barbarian/bandit is called "axe man" and ... it is what it is. Dancer is "dance woman". Names really confuse me and will slow me down though I'll get it eventually. :dry: Anyway, good to know there are still people who care for this game.

Edited by Lilykins

I know Chinese but sorry, I can't translate. I'm too literal. For example, a barbarian/bandit is called "axe man" and ... it is what it is. Dancer is "dance woman". Names really confuse me and will slow me down though I'll get it eventually. :dry: Anyway, good to know there are still people who care for this game.

Well I was a little free around the time I've started the translation and Vincent already translated most of the items,magics,etc., as I've wanted to play Gaiden again I've stumbled upon the PC version, so I've decided that I will try to finish the translation and of course I don't know either Chinese or Japanese which ''forced'' me to use Google Translate and some other helpful software. Overall like I've mentioned up, the game is almost fully and almost on spot with the translation names of everything, it is playable and I would recommend it for Fire Emblem fans.

This looks interesting.

EDIT: Robin and Grey are female now, wonder if the reverse is true is true for Clea, or alternatively she's female, and they still love her?

I thought bandit or an Axe Fighter was a promotion in this, guess not?

Edited by Emperor Hardin

Well I was a little free around the time I've started the translation and Vincent already translated most of the items,magics,etc., as I've wanted to play Gaiden again I've stumbled upon the PC version, so I've decided that I will try to finish the translation and of course I don't know either Chinese or Japanese which ''forced'' me to use Google Translate and some other helpful software. Overall like I've mentioned up, the game is almost fully and almost on spot with the translation names of everything, it is playable and I would recommend it for Fire Emblem fans.

If I may critique the translation, it seems to fall apart quite badly during content made specifically for the SRPG Maker stuff, especially that weird-ass last chapter (Although that also falls apart in other ways that aren't your fault at all, so I'd excuse you if you didn't care.)

If I may critique the translation, it seems to fall apart quite badly during content made specifically for the SRPG Maker stuff, especially that weird-ass last chapter (Although that also falls apart in other ways that aren't your fault at all, so I'd excuse you if you didn't care.)

It was not about that I don't care, it was all about the fact that I don't know Chinese or Japanese, Google Translate was a little help not a big one and others software as well didn't quite help me, so overall mostly I had to rewrite the text and trying to understand what was actually going on in a scene, I was forced to finish a sentence that would fit into the game dialogue/text.

It was not about that I don't care, it was all about the fact that I don't know Chinese or Japanese, Google Translate was a little help not a big one and others software as well didn't quite help me, so overall mostly I had to rewrite the text and trying to understand what was actually going on in a scene, I was forced to finish a sentence that would fit into the game dialogue/text.

Well, in the part before the last map there is some obvious translation issues. I'm thinking especially of the lines the NPC has, where the context is apparently meant to be reporting to Alm the "conspiracy" by Judah, but the translated line is "Arum paid a heavy price... when he found out about a conspiracy!" which sounds completely off for a lot of reasons.

After that, once you get into the map, there's a whole load of untranslated lines. Untranslated lines were scattered through the game regardless, mind, but it's especially notable here because rather than scattered lines, it's almost the entire map's worth of dialogs. When those OC NPCs appear, the entire line of dialog before that is untranslated. When I defeated Ishtar, Julius and Ishtar speak and then they both leave. That dialog is also untranslated. (I highly suspect it's word-for-word a reference to the line where Julius does similar with Ishtar in Seisen, if that helps.)

I probably would think this to be a major issue, if I cared about the polish of the work by that point. But while I was seeing this, I was also seeing "Dragons" that would have animations involving disappearing while their fire throws out, and the realization that the game was not prepared for my nigh-invincible Alm build that could 2-hit Dark Dragon Doma (Which... wait a sec, Dark Dragon Doma doesn't make any fucking sense in regards to Gaiden's plot in the first place! It derails Doma's entire character! Why the heck didn't the devs just call this one Medeus and call it a day? Jeez.)

Also that the ending has a glitch where any unit I didn't take to the final battle, even if alive, was considered dead by the epilogue. Basically, at that point, I just shrugged and said "Huh, fan games."

You can see some of what I'm pointing point in my video logs that I uploaded on YouTube.

After that, once you get into the map, there's a whole load of untranslated lines. Untranslated lines were scattered through the game regardless, mind, but it's especially notable here because rather than scattered lines, it's almost the entire map's worth of dialogs. When those OC NPCs appear, the entire line of dialog before that is untranslated. When I defeated Ishtar, Julius and Ishtar speak and then they both leave. That dialog is also untranslated. (I highly suspect it's word-for-word a reference to the line where Julius does similar with Ishtar in Seisen, if that helps.)

Can you specifically point me out to the map where the dialogue is untranslated, because I've looked again through the game files and I can't seem to find any untranslated dialogue. Thanks!

Can you specifically point me out to the map where the dialogue is untranslated, because I've looked again through the game files and I can't seem to find any untranslated dialogue. Thanks!

Nearly all the examples I found were recorded in my gamplay log. Do you want me to link timestamps?

Nearly all the examples I found were recorded in my gamplay log. Do you want me to link timestamps?

It would be helpful, but you can do it whenever you want because this week I am very busy and I won't have the necessary time to fix the problems. Thanks!

• 8 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Have you tried installing 7-zip?

Sadly, my PC can't run 7-zip for some reason. I'm on lubuntu and using Wine to open 7-zip. Can't do it...

EDIT: Sorry for the late reply.

Edited by Purple-Clad Gamer