Who thought Radiant Dawn was a let down?

Brom

I personally really enjoyed FE10 but that might just be my enjoyment of raging at trying to use the weakest characters on Hard Mode. The story was definitely rushed (except for Part 3 which has several completely unnecessary chapters) but it's far from terrible.

The hate for the DB and the split is kind of sad because those are my favorite parts of the game.

omg how little you people must be if you really can't take a statement for what it is....there doesn't need to be more details....apparently I don't take these games or some people's opinions as seriously as some of you guys....but then again I'm sure I have a better life than most of you, so like water on a feather's back.

Oh well.

11/10 troll post.

The game was a medium disappointment to me when it was released but I warmed up to it over time.

Like, Part 3 was fundamentally stupid and contrived even at the first time I played it. But over time I realized that Part 4 was simply really, really good and was what the game really was about. Especially after reading the extended script and learning about certain changes made by the localization (like completely rewriting the final conversation between Ike and Yune. Seriously, our version has nothing to do with the original version), I realized that the script was a lot better then I thought.

These days, Part 3's clumsiness feels to me as the result of the writers simply needed to repeat the exploration of the races and the Begnion social structures (since not everyone played PoR) and because a situation was needed were the Awakening of the goddess could be reasonably justified. Of course I don't know if it's true or not but it helps to coop with it and to focus on the good stuff instead.

Plus, Part 2 might be disconnected from the rest of the game... but it is a really good character focused story for Elincia. You just need to look at it isolated from the rest of the game, including the reappearance of the Greil Mercenaries since they unfortunately overshadowed Elincia's story.

Also, while the balance of the Laguz is hilariously out of whack, foot units and horsies are actually nicely balanced for a change thanks to all the terrain differences. And Armored Knights are actually difficult to kill this time around because they actually get decent speed... it's just too bad that magic is so weak and that effective weapons are extremely rare this time around. This makes them too difficult to counter. But that's not really the fault of the Knights themselves but the weakness of other gameplay elements.

All things considered, the game has tons of stuff that makes it worth appreciating. Both in terms of story and gameplay. Especially after Awakening ignored just about everything this game did, so Terrain was lost and Armored Knights are back to having the worst durability from any class because a few points of Def don't matter when you get double attacked by everything. Like Conker once said, "You don't know what you have until it's gone". Thank Yune that the game still exists, so I can now value it more for the things that it did pretty damn right.

Edited by BrightBow

I often feel like the only person who loves Radiant Dawn to death. The game, the story, everything. I know there are indeed others, but the amount of times this sort of topic comes up makes me wonder how many.

I got tired of defending it all the time a couple years back.

I probably don't love it to death, but I can easily say Radiant Dawn was one of my favorite games ever, and definitely my favorite Fire Emblem game. I really enjoyed the part system because it created completely different atmospheres for each part as well as allowing the majority of the characters/classes to be really useful while still being an overall hard game. I think the story, while not perfect, is certainly not as atrocious as some people point it out to be and I honestly felt like the story is pretty good. Oh, and the soundtrack is nothing short of amazing.

Daein part was horrible :p I dislike Micaiah and Sothe is is maybe the worst Ike fanboy ever ^^ Although having Black knight is cool but he should have been more in the story than he did.

Part 2 is good and fun nothing more to say ^^ okay one thing, I love Elincia and I regret we couldn't play with her on all chapters :(

Part 3 could have been better if they hadn't created this lion I don't remember his name. he acts too much of a retard to be bearable.

And part 4 is good for me, Having laguz kings and blessed weapons make the game cool ^^

The problem of radiant down is not the stroy whihc is good enough for me. It is the postgame that is lacking.

Micaiah seemed very robotic to me. Probably her only distinguishable trait (beside her hair and that ability) was probably the fact that she has a really unhealthy love for Daien. Sothe was just very annoying. Part 1 was a complete mess in my opinion. Completely uninterested with most, if not all the characters. (Meg is just adorable, but I still don't know if I would say that I like her. She is just adorable.) I really wished the support system was different because maybe then we would get more development out of the Dawn Brigade.

Part 2 was lovely. So much character development for Elincia! (Plus she was a pretty beast unit too. I never used her in Path of Radience because I had no way to easily grind her unless it was bonus exp and still I never really used her.)

Part 3 was okay. It was very disappointing though. Mostly because the Griel Mercenaries (in this game) and the Dawn Brigade were pretty boring. Probably the only thing that got me through was that the switch between the two sides and Ike. (I love Ike, if you couldn't tell.... I do admit that he can be kind of a Gary Stu at times.)

Part 4 was great. Not as great as Part 2, but still good. The story really picks up with the whole Yune vs Ashera thing, but the character development just falls flat for me. I don't really give two shits about Soren (as I find him very annoying in general.) Micaiah turned into a trope. Ike is just hot, but he still has the personality of cardboard. Mostly I pitied Sanaki, and the rest of the time I felt that she was just a royal brat. Elincia is still my baby/home girl even though she didn't really get much development in this part, but part 2 was just yum.

Edited by Subsonic

I often feel like the only person who loves Radiant Dawn to death. The game, the story, everything. I know there are indeed others, but the amount of times this sort of topic comes up makes me wonder how many.

You're not, Red Fox! I love it to death too! I did find part 4 a BIT underwhelming compared to the rest of the game and I'm no fan of Micaiah, the Dawn Brigade, or a lot of the character endings (or the support system, but a lot of people hate that lol), but I still totally loved it. :3

Especially Ike. Ike is just the most amazing he's ever been in this game. :wub:

Nah, some of us like me, pick apart the story out of love. Soren/Daein Throne OTP! :U

Micaiah seemed very robotic to me. Probably her only distinguishable trait (beside her hair and that ability) was probably the fact that she has a really unhealthy love for Daien. Sothe was just very annoying. Part 1 was a complete mess in my opinion. Completely uninterested with most, if not all the characters. (Meg is just adorable, but I still don't know if I would say that I like her. She is just adorable.) I really wished the support system was different because maybe then we would get more development out of the Dawn Brigade.

Part 2 was lovely. So much character development for Elincia! (Plus she was a pretty beast unit too. I never used her in Path of Radience because I had no way to easily grind her unless it was bonus exp and still I never really used her.)

Part 3 was okay. It was very disappointing though. Mostly because the Griel Mercenaries (in this game) and the Dawn Brigade were pretty boring. Probably the only thing that got me through was that the switch between the two sides and Ike. (I love Ike, if you couldn't tell.... I do admit that he can be kind of a Gary Stu at times.)

Part 4 was great. Not as great as Part 2, but still good. The story really picks up with the whole Yune vs Ashera thing, but the character development just falls flat for me. I don't really give two shits about Soren (as I find him very annoying in general.) Micaiah turned into a trope. Ike is just hot, but he still has the personality of cardboard. Mostly I pitied Sanaki, and the rest of the time I felt that she was just a royal brat. Elincia is still my baby/home girl even though she didn't really get much development in this part, but part 2 was just yum.

@Part 1: Micaiah's only trait is a love for her country? How? She has a pretty complex character in my opinion, she fights for her country to end a cruel foreign rule but wonders how she can manage it, she often argues with Izuka over moral issues inside the army. She's shown to be an inspirational leader throughout part 1, this may not be shown in the script so much but she manages to rally the country to stand with her despite Begnion's oppression and later after the bridge (3-11 I believe) Ike comments on how the Daien army seems to fight with more of a purpose than they ever did under Ashnard or something like that (fairly certain this is what he says, SF doesn't have the script so I can't double check). Also how is patriotism unhealthy?

@Part 2: So Elincia doubting herself and wanting to do what's right for her country is great but Micaiah doing it is unhealthy?

Don't have anything to say about the rest of your post.

Edited by Da Bear

Also how is patriotism unhealthy?

*chortles uncontrollably*

The issue i have with Micaiah is that she doesnt really grow as a character. She just remains static. The only form of development i saw was her being more reserved (after seeing what her bullshit caused) in part 4. Other than that, shes nearly exactly the same as she was in the first chapter of the game. Its kinda telling when Skrimir, of all people, gets more character development than one of your main protags. Its like "wat."

@Part 2: So Elincia doubting herself and wanting to do what's right for her country is great but Micaiah doing it is unhealthy?

Elincia changes as a character during the course of Part 2. In Part 3, we see the fruits of that change. Elincia no longer doubts herself to the point where she gives up. Instead, her experience with Ludveck and the events of Part 2 tells her what to do. Be self-assured and make the choice. She does that when she lays Amiti down in front of two armies warring on her lands.

Id say thats a pretty noteworthy moment in comparison to Micaiah simply feeling guilty for pouring oil on the Apostle's army.

Edited by Loki Laufeyson

*chortles uncontrollably*

The issue i have with Micaiah is that she doesnt really grow as a character. She just remains static. The only form of development i saw was her being more reserved (after seeing what her bullshit caused) in part 4. Other than that, shes nearly exactly the same as she was in the first chapter of the game. Its kinda telling when Skrimir, of all people, gets more character development than one of your main protags. Its like "wat."

Not getting enough characterization doesn't make her a bad character.

Not going to argue your Elincia point because it's basically true, wasn't really trying to diss Elincia at all anyway.

Id say thats a pretty noteworthy moment in comparison to Micaiah simply feeling guilty for pouring oil on the Apostle's army.

The difference is that Micaiah is fighting for a cause she doesn't believe in while Elincia is trying to protect her people.

The difference is that Micaiah is fighting for a cause she doesn't believe in while Elincia is trying to protect her people.

Its obvious which one is the more honorable pursuit, ser.

Point is, Micaiah barely grows as a character from this experience. Shes written like crap.

Not getting enough characterization doesn't make her a bad character.

Uh... Yes it does. That's the exact definition of a bad character.

Anyway, my problem with Radiant Dawn is that it's too arrogant. It just assumes you've played Path of Radiance first and doesn't bother to give you any backstory, lore or details about what the fuck is going on. And I'm speaking as someone who played Radiant Dawn as his first Fire Emblem game.

-Here's a brief insight into my experience playing Radiant Dawn-

What is Daein and why is so fucked up? There was was a war? What war? Sothe was in a game before this? Wait, what are the Laguz? They can change form? Wait who are the Four Riders? What's Begnion? Who's the Mad King? What's this weapon triangle thing? Who's the Black Knight? Wait, now I'm playing as a different character? Queen Elinica was in a game before this too? And so was Marcia and Haar? Is another war going on? Huh? its a rebellion? Who's Geoffrey and all these other guys? Am I supposed to know them already? Who's this blue haired chick? Oh, she's trying to warn Elincia about who's behind the rebellion? Oh no! She's about to be executed!

-Part 3 starts-

Hey, that's Ike! I recognize him from Smash Brothers!

Its obvious which one is the more honorable pursuit, ser.

Point is, Micaiah barely grows as a character from this experience. Shes written like crap.

Pretty much. Compare it to how Leif's giant screw up actually impacts him as a character, whereas Micaiah marches blissfully onward with little change. She seems like she's going somewhere in Chapter 3, but then it takes a nosedive toward the end and Part 4 begins bits of inconsistent characterization threaded through a giant slog/

Anyway, my problem with Radiant Dawn is that it's too arrogant. It just assumes you've played Path of Radiance first and doesn't bother to give you any backstory, lore or details about what the fuck is going on. And I'm speaking as someone who played Radiant Dawn as his first Fire Emblem game.

-Here's a brief insight into my experience playing Radiant Dawn-

What is Daein and why is so fucked up? There was was a war? What war? Sothe was in a game before this? Wait, what are the Laguz? They can change form? Wait who are the Four Riders? What's Begnion? Who's the Mad King? What's this weapon triangle thing? Who's the Black Knight? Wait, now I'm playing as a different character? Queen Elinica was in a game before this too? And so was Marcia and Haar? Is another war going on? Huh? its a rebellion? Who's Geoffrey and all these other guys? Am I supposed to know them already? Who's this blue haired chick? Oh, she's trying to warn Elincia about who's behind the rebellion? Oh no! She's about to be executed!

If you open a book and read it from the middle, you're gonna be confused.

To be fair, at least half of the stuff you commented on is either explained in enough detail for you to follow the basic plotline, or is a spurious detail.

I don't think a direct sequel presupposing you've played the game before it is arrogant, really.

FE10 and FE9 had to be fairly popular for good reasons (why else is Ike in SSB4 and is also one of the most popular FE characters)

I liked those two the most as they drew me to the series (I played FE10 first I liked how it tested my stratagem), but these two games were unique, unlike games like Fe11, it wasn't Vague in the story plots, and I actually like the storys, I believe it gave the game characters that are still truly likeable and well Faifus, (Mist, Ike,Jill,Neph, may I go on and the writer of this topic's is Brom so proving a point)

MY biggest let down after playing both was I wasn't as excited by FE9, it wasn't unique, with the same draws and awe with the 4 part stories which I admit I liked the idea of. FE9 after playing it felt the same experience (but easier) with FE 7, and FE6 , while FE10 gave me a challenge from having to prepare 4 groups (at one point) to get ready to have to fight the other groups, First off sort of agree with Broms comment on the statement he made on the "mother, Brother, Sister, Father they never had shit, but news flash we see Rolfs mother for only a tiny bit, so why get upset even on that, Soren makes sence as the Almhdea's son as as far as I can tell he has not aged one bit while the rest of the squad (except older ones) have grown in size and strength and also in character (minus a couple on that last remark but yeah),

FE10 tried to give you a new experience tough shit u didn't like it, Miciah and her group were underpowered.... but hell it was fun doing her levels, they brought in a few new characters in (albeit Fiona, Meg, and some others were probally never going to work) But one thing I felt with gameplay as it was as good as many others

note will finish tomorrow or something I gtg to bed XD

Yet Japan doesn't like Ike much and his games sold poorly overall. But they DID still get good reviews and Ike still got into Smash Bros. This is why his games deserve another chance with a re-release, imo.

FE10 is my absolute videogame and the only reason I still own my Wii.

It was my first FE game and so consequently I played it before FE9.

The story was very hard to understand without the knowledge of FE9. Though the character descriptions and the pedigree helped me a lot to understand some parts of the story and character relationships.

I love the story and there are so many secret supports to unlock, so playing it more than once is guaranteed!

Playing different groups makes this game more diversified. It's a big plus point, but also a big downfall on the same, because the groups are completly unbalanced:

There's the delicate Dawn Brigade, the decent Crimean Knights and the overpowered Greil's Mecenaries.

It makes it kinda hard to train certain units. So for example Edward and Aran are harder to train than Mia and Nephenee, because the enemies in the DB chapters especially in part 3 are really tough.

Another problem is the weird availibility. Characters like Tormod and Vika are almost impossible to train, because they're unavailable for about 75% in this game.

These are the only real downsides of this game alongside that hard mode doesn't include a weapon triangle.

That the supports conversations are bland is not a big flaw for me. I like the idea that everyone can support with everyone.

The story is great, only part 4 before the endgame is just a filer. These chapters have almost no plot and are more training chapters to me.

FE10 has probably the longest main story in the entire franchise (43 maps and about 35-40 hours playtime).

The battle animations and the cutescenes are just epic!

I enjoyed every single playthrough and seriously I cannot understand all the compaints about this game.

This honestly reminds me of one those "isn't fe4 horrid" threads. Sure, the actual arguments are different, but it still boils down to a good but flawed game where it is really a matter of personal taste as to how much the flaws detract from the fun. (although i will admit to not actually having played fe10, i have read an lp, and this is all plot related anyway.)

Edited by sirmola

I agree with tales of hysteria on the whole front, and I one thing is after playing fe9, and such is I didn't like after replaying FE10 that there wernt as many support convos, it was like, Hey bro u doin ok?, Yeah man good luck to you, kinda shit. I miss the support convos as those added depth to a character, like on how lethe hates most humans, but only has a few exceptions to ike, and jill once lethe has made jill realize laguz are good, these convos, make you see a lot about that character, like if it wasn't for Jill X Mist, or Jill X Lethe, these two convos help jill become friends with the army, and laguz. or like Ziharks convos with Mordecai revelead why he has a heart for laguz as he had a laguz girlfriend

I agree with tales of hysteria on the whole front, and I one thing is after playing fe9, and such is I didn't like after replaying FE10 that there wernt as many support convos, it was like, Hey bro u doin ok?, Yeah man good luck to you, kinda shit. I miss the support convos as those added depth to a character, like on how lethe hates most humans, but only has a few exceptions to ike, and jill once lethe has made jill realize laguz are good, these convos, make you see a lot about that character, like if it wasn't for Jill X Mist, or Jill X Lethe, these two convos help jill become friends with the army, and laguz. or like Ziharks convos with Mordecai revelead why he has a heart for laguz as he had a laguz girlfriend

Honestly, i suspect that the lack of support convos was the result of suggestions from fans that they wanted to support anyone with anyone for mechanical puposes. However, they would need to write 7884 support conversations(no, that number is not a typo), which is utterly unrealistic, so they used generic dialog. Obviously, this hampered character development a lot, and people did not like it. Honestly, it is an excellent example of "be carefull what you wish for".

Edited by sirmola

It's definitely because of the shifting teams. Imagine getting Ilyana a B support with someone on the DB but she wouldn't be able to use it past part 1 until part 4. Supporting with everyone was pretty much necessary.

Anyways, I love this game mostly for the DB chapters. I find the difficulty in them so amazn. Seriously, Ike's chapters are easy even on freaking hard mode. 3-13 is the best chapter in the game.