This is what I think(theory involving branded kids, spoilers)

Dragoncat

So Almedha lost her dragon form because she had a kid with Ashnard...because of this, the fandom seems to think this is the norm. When a branded child is born, the laguz parent loses their animal form and is reduced to a branded themselves. I don't think this always happens. It happened in this case because...Ashnard was Ashnard, an evil SOB bent on overthrowing the world's natural balance. Ashera found the need to punish Almedha, like "That guy should have never gotten the chance to breed! He's just using you as a reproductive tool to create more chaos! For your stupidity, I'm taking your dragon form and you're never getting it back!"

Is there any source that says it always happens? I don't think there is...if it's true love and there's no intent of world domination/world destruction, then I don't see the point, the laguz parent should still be able to shift. Sure, it's shown that beorc/laguz romantic relationships tend to be frowned upon...but not a big enough reason. If I'm wrong, then...Ashera isn't what a goddess should be imo. Gods/goddesses that protect worlds should be more tolerable of their subjects than that.

Discuss...

And when you see Soren (I'm not sure but I might think it's ashnard son or i'm completely under drugs) You can say it's good way to evolve. I'm not sure that when they created the branded at first in path of radiance they thought of the explanation they got in radiant dawn, which for me is completely idiot.

Nope, whenever a Laguz breeds with a Beorc, the Laguz ALWAYS lose their shifting ability. This why it's considered taboo(even though the Goddess herself never knew of the branded.)

I don't think it's punishment; just a weird quirk of evolution.

The goddess herself didn't even create Beorc or Laguz or their ancestors, the Zunanma, and surely didn't expect the Branded.

But how? I can understand maybe...if the laguz parent is female, the introduction of beorc genes in the fetus might somehow deactivate the shapeshifting thing. But does the same thing happen the other way around? If so, how...

And when you see Soren (I'm not sure but I might think it's ashnard son or i'm completely under drugs) You can say it's good way to evolve. I'm not sure that when they created the branded at first in path of radiance they thought of the explanation they got in radiant dawn, which for me is completely idiot.

Soren is apparently Ashnard and Almedha's son...but yes, I think they thought up that explanation later.

I still think that if it does always happen, it should only happen if the laguz is the mother. For a father, he never gets beorc DNA in him, he just puts laguz DNA into a beorc female, so...

I remember learning about Agent Orange in school when we were covering the Vietnam war...it was a chemical they used to kill thick jungle vegetation in order to find the enemy hiding in it, and when the exposed soldiers came back and married, their kids would sometimes have birth defects...maybe beorc...female fluids are like Agent Orange to laguz DNA? Idk...

Edited by Dragoncat

I still think that if it does always happen, it should only happen if the laguz is the mother. For a father, he never gets beorc DNA in him, he just puts laguz DNA into a beorc female, so...

Sexually transmitted infections would beg to differ. Well, not DNA necessarily, but there is an exchange both ways.

But yeah, it's not like they're being actively punished. It's just a shitty quirk of nature.

Edited by bottlegnomes

Ashera found the need to punish Almedha, like "That guy should have never gotten the chance to breed! He's just using you as a reproductive tool to create more chaos! For your stupidity, I'm taking your dragon form and you're never getting it back!"

Ashera was sleeping during the time Ashera and Almedha first met. How could she have interfered?

Ashera was sleeping during the time Ashera and Almedha first met. How could she have interfered?

You mean Ashnard and Almedha?

Derp. Forgot about that...maybe it's like in the Heroes of Olympus/Percy Jackson books. The earth goddess Gaea was asleep, but she could still interact to a certain extent and use some of her power. So maybe she just...had a goddess intuition that it happened and yeah.

From what I recall, the game states that the laguz parent losing his/her laguz abilities works a little differently depending on the laguz parent's gender. Almedha is stated to have lost her abilities as soon as she became pregnant. But Lehran/Sephiran didn't lose his abilities until Altina gave birth. So a female laguz parent loses the ability to shift once she's impregnated, but a male doesn't lose his until the child is born.

But I do wonder what would happen if the pregnancy were to be terminated early...

But Lehran/Sephiran didn't lose his abilities until Altina gave birth. So a female laguz parent loses the ability to shift once she's impregnated, but a male doesn't lose his until the child is born.

And from this sentence you don't try to think how a male could lose his powers just after the child is born and not before ? that sounds ridiculous to try explain that :p

I guess Starman's explanation is going to be the most logic here. it's a kind of magic

It's crazy magic if it is...

I guess maybe, whatever gods created the two races, made it that way to discourage crossbreeding? Shouldn't brandeds be sterile like mules and ligers too? Anything that proves or disproves that? I think it's implied. I can't think of any branded parents, canonwise...

Apostle Misaha is the only example of that, I think. She's a grandmother, so obviously she became a mother too. And she was Branded. And the Brand in this line is always passed down to the first born child, so yeah.

Misaha is the only named Branded parent, but at least one of her parents, grandparents, great-grandparents, etc. were Branded as well.

For that matter, so was her child, who conceived Micaiah and Sanaki.

Stefan's lineage also proves that the Branded can conceive; his laguz blood comes from a very distant ancestor (implied to be Soan in the Japanese version).

Come to think of it, Soren is the only Branded in the game who actually, incontrovertibly has a laguz parent.

Edited by Paper Jam

It's crazy magic if it is...

These games take place in a world that has people who can transform into animals in a puff of smoke among other things. It's no crazier than the other things that happen with no rational explanation.

And I thought I knew a lot. Guess I don't...but yeah, I like it better that way anyway. Sothe x Micaiah kids are possible...come on, there has to be some romantic feelings there. And I'm a huge shipper and I would squee if that happened. Their kid(s) would have golden eyes since they both do, hair color? I'll have to dig up my FE genetics thing and do some punnett squares xD

Confession: I've never actually completed RD. Got to part 4 though...my friend got to the final chapter and her game glitched up. She hasn't completed it either. But all this that we're talking about, while it should be spoilers to me...meh.

Come to think of it, Soren is the only Branded in the game who actually, incontrovertibly has a laguz parent.

That we know of. Amy's parentage is unknown and it's discovered in part 4 of RD that she's a Branded. Zelgius and Petrine are also Branded and we don't know of their parentage either.

Dragoncat, Sothe x Micaiah does happen if you don't delete their A support. Unfortunately for me, most of my preferred pairings aren't options for endings. Sigh...

Edited by Anacybele

That we know of. Amy's parentage is unknown and it's discovered in part 4 of RD that she's a Branded. Zelgius and Petrine are also Branded and we don't know of their parentage either.

Hence my use of "incontrovertibly." The parentage of Amy, Zelgius, and Petrine are controvertible.

Dragoncat, Sothe x Micaiah does happen if you don't delete their A support. Unfortunately for me, most of my preferred pairings aren't options for endings. Sigh...

Actually we do know Zelgius didn't have a laguz parent. He tells Sephiran that it was someone on his father's side meaning it was probably an ancestor too. Of course there's also the possibility he was still lying since coming out so to speak was already difficult enough for him. But to go with exactly what was stated we know it wasn't one of his parents.

Also is there any hard example of a laguz father loosing their powers? The only example I can think of is Lehran and while it seems he couldn't transform he still kept a huge number of the perks of being a laguz. The wings, the ability to sing the galder, the huge longevity. If it was him and Dhegs who were the one that made it taboo in the first place it easily could be misinformation that a laguz father loses their powers.

Actually we do know Zelgius didn't have a laguz parent. He tells Sephiran that it was someone on his father's side meaning it was probably an ancestor too. Of course there's also the possibility he was still lying since coming out so to speak was already difficult enough for him. But to go with exactly what was stated we know it wasn't one of his parents.

Also is there any hard example of a laguz father loosing their powers? The only example I can think of is Lehran and while it seems he couldn't transform he still kept a huge number of the perks of being a laguz. The wings, the ability to sing the galder, the huge longevity. If it was him and Dhegs who were the one that made it taboo in the first place it easily could be misinformation that a laguz father loses their powers.

Lehran lost the ability to use Galder. Remember? He wanted to contact the Goddess on how to resolve the matter but could not reach her.

Almedha lost her powers as well. So the Laguz parent is always the sucker, regardless of gender. Given that Lehran still has wings, it seems like the human form doesn't get altered. Almedha herself was stated to be strong enough to give Tibarn trouble. And as a Dragon Laguz, she wouldn't have any unhuman features like wings, just like Nasir and the other dragons.

My theory is that their transformation is magical in nature and not actually biological. When the breeding takes place the wires 'get crossed' as it were and the magic can no-longer distinguish the laguz from the beorc. When two laguz breed together they're still laguz so it doesn't matter. That the branded have a weird relationship with magic, especially goddess-based magic as I recall, seems to support that they may simply be pure chaos for magic and that extends to their parents.